I'm growing cat grass!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found these little containers of "cat grass" seed at Wal-Mart and decided to try to grow some for Speck. I wasn't sure if he'd be interested in it and wasn't convinced I could get it to grow. I'm not the greatest farmer on earth. However, I followed the planting directions and then put it in my walk-in closet (which has a window). To my surprise, it started to sprout. This evening, I was putting some Christmas gifts in the closet and I left the door open. Speck was watching me, but I had no idea he'd found the cat grass. The next thing I knew, there was dirt in the closet, a trail of dirt in the hall, and he was eating a clump of cat grass. He seems to love it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

The next thing I knew, there was dirt in the closet, a trail of dirt in the hall, and he was eating a clump of cat grass. He seems to love it.
Speck must have yanked the grass off hard.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like the cat grass - just one warning - sometimes the grass helps their digestive systems, e.g., they'll toss up a little bit. Nature's Miracle works very well in cleaning up the residue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Mine like the cat grass - just one warning - sometimes the grass helps their digestive systems, e.g., they'll toss up a little bit. Nature's Miracle works very well in cleaning up the residue.
Thanks for the warning. I was wondering if this could be a possibility...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

It is.

We had problems with the cats nibbling on the artificial Christmas tree but fortunately, they were easily distracted by the grass.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My vet said not to worry about the occasional grass, ah, burping up. It's more just cleaning up. With mine, it's just a bit of grass on the rug (white, due to the prior owner loving white), but Nature's Miracle works very well.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy loves to nibble on his grass. I used to grow it, but the local pet store sells containers of wheat grass especially for cats, and it's easier for me to pick up one every week or two.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to get the Chia kind, but it was sort of expensive. Since Speck doesn't go outside, I thought he might enjoy a taste of the outdoors.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of mine love grass and I keep a constant supply of it growing.

Since my little piglets will consume WAY too much at one grazing and will then vomit it up on my white carpeting, I've started limiting their grazing time. They can each have a go at the grass for a few minutes twice a day and then I put it up where they cannot get it.

For some reason they have no control over how much they eat. Before I started the grass rationing I was horrified about how much they were mowing off and then would puke back up.
With small amounts of grass they are fine and are still quite happy.

cheap sushi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the same stuff at Walmart and it grew fantastic!!!!
Thing is, when one of my cats starts eating it, the whole clump of dirt with the grass comes out of the plaastic container and I get dirt EVERYWHERE! I stopped buying it because of it. I think I would have to have a pot of dirt to put the seeds in and toss the plastic container.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Butzie never liked cat grass. But if you can grow cat grass, can you visit me in the Bay Area and plant grass in my lawn because I can't seem to make it grow.

BTW, it is a little lawn. We do have an acre of land but we are not stupid enough to plant a lawn on all of it.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Well, Butzie never liked cat grass. But if you can grow cat grass, can you visit me in the Bay Area and plant grass in my lawn because I can't seem to make it grow.

BTW, it is a little lawn. We do have an acre of land but we are not stupid enough to plant a lawn on all of it.
I was amazed that it grew! Cat grass may be the answer for bare lawns everywhere! It would be like a dream come true for me, a whole herd of cats grazing in my yard.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boys love their cat grass too. Last time, I bought some mixed seeds from the store - rye, oat, lettuce and catnip. It grew well and the cats loved chomping on it all. I put it in a large container on the balcony now so they don't scatter dirt inside.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Binks loves to nibble grass. I was wondering if those take home kits worked.
In my past town I used to be able to get "pet grass" in the produce section of the grocery store. It was inexpensive, $2 a unit. Now I can only find it at Petsmart for $5.

I am thinking I might get one of those indoor table top greenhouse things. Has anyone tried those?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought 2 containers last spring from Target's $1 section when they had a bunch of gardening stuff. I get the cheap potting soil from Wal-Mart or Menard's (last time I got a deal on 40# of it from Menard's). And I buy the Cosmic Catnip brand grass seed mix from Petsmart (it lasts a while before you have to buy again) or I get a mix at Farm & Fleet. My cats like the ones that are a mix, not just one kind of grass. I'm really hoping Farm & Fleet has theirs again this year--the cats loved it, it was 4 different kinds instead of just 3 like the Cosmic brand is.

I had terrible luck with the one from Wal-Mart. The cats pulled it out and spread dirt EVERYWHERE. I have determined that our home grown stuff doesn't get pulled out because the soil is deeper and the seeds can really take root. I just have to remember to start a new batch about a week before the old one is past peak.

crbramel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gracie gets really bad hairballs, I was wondering if maybe she ate a little bit of cat grass it would help with the hairballs the vet medicine never worked...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

I am thinking I might get one of those indoor table top greenhouse things. Has anyone tried those?
Yes - my cats love to step all over them and squash them. If you have someplace safe to keep them, then I think they're a good idea.

Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I have determined that our home grown stuff doesn't get pulled out because the soil is deeper and the seeds can really take root. I just have to remember to start a new batch about a week before the old one is past peak.
I agree. Get a mix from the hardware/gardening store and let the grass take root in a large pot. That way you've got a mini lawn they can even lie in it and it'll grow back.
Originally Posted by Crbramel

maybe she ate a little bit of cat grass it would help with the hairballs the vet medicine never worked...
I think it would. It's worth a shot anyway!

jonesy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a pot of petgrass at petco the other night they love it. They pulled it out of the pot and keep it in they're cat tent. It's not planted in dirt so its not a big deal in fact I'm not sure whats holding it together. I just took it away before and added some water to it and put it on a shelf hopefully it'll stay alive for a few days.