Xander has a bald spot from Revolution

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I be worried?

He was given the Revolution on Monday. I didn't see anything yesterday, but today he has a bald spot where it was applied. He will be going to the vet in 30 days as follow-up because he has roundworms.

As soon as I noticed the spot I put him in the tub and washed the area with his usual cat shampoo, but I'm not sure what good that will do since it has been 3 days since it was applied.

He is otherwise fine, appetite, activity, etc. Do I need to worry about this? Or should I just mention the reaction to the vet in January and see that he gets something different next time?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something like this happened to my Midori. And it was an allergic reaction to the Revolution. You should talk to your Vet, tell them what happened and they may tell you that you should choose another one of the flea control products available like Frontline or Advantage if you want or need continuous flea control. The active ingredient is different. Midori is fine with either of the others.

What you do if your cat gets mites or scabies or something only treatable with Revolution is another question...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to be safe, I would call my vet on Monday to let them know about Xander's reaction.

Xander

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had Revolution when Eileen first trapped him with no reaction then

I will call the vet on Monday if its worse. I know when I had my foster Akasha, she got a bald spot from Frontline, but it was much smaller. Hopefully washing him helped..

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let us know what you find out from your vets office.

Xander

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't seem any worse today but I left the vet a message, so hopefully she will call me back today or tomorrow. I'm not sure what her schedule is for the holiday/weekend.

If she says not to worry, then I will just wait the 30 days to take him in to follow up on his worm issue.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was fast!

Just got off the phone with the vet and she said as long as it is just the hair loss, not to worry. If it becomes red and irritated looking or he starts digging at it, etc. then to bring him in. Otherwise, we will just note in his file that he had a reaction and to use something different next time.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh thats good news, Paula! Hopefully, since its already been days and there is no redness and irritation that he wont have any now

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I Frontlined my cats dozens of times - then once Twitch lost of a big patch of hair from it. I switched to revolution after that & had no issues.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my cat Fuzzy was going through her weeks of unexplainable itching, I made the Vet give her a dose of Revolution - in the event that the itching was caused by "some type" of mite, I was desperate to put an end to her itching. Anyway, the first thing he told me about it was that it was common for it to cause fur loss to the area of the skin/fur that it's applied. So it's not that unusual. She didn't experience this though.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky had the same thing with Advantage, so we changed her over to Revolution... It is not that unusual to be allergic to these meds, and it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal... The only thing is switching for another one.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was really great that your vet called back quickly so you don't have to wait and worry.

Xander

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a similar reaction on one of my cats when I tried Bio Spot earlier this year. It wasn't as pronounced, but she definitely lost some fur at the application site. It also stayed greasy for 4-5 days, as compared to 1-2 days with Advantage. I switched back to Advantage the next month and I never saw any other problems.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

That was fast!

Just got off the phone with the vet and she said as long as it is just the hair loss, not to worry. If it becomes red and irritated looking or he starts digging at it, etc. then to bring him in. Otherwise, we will just note in his file that he had a reaction and to use something different next time.
That's good news, poor baby

luli arndt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I know that this post is old, but my cat has de exact same spot and i was looking  on the internet what could be the reason. I bought my cat at a breeder (is a bengal) and he already had that spot when he got home. Firstly i thought it was a micotic infection or allergies, but it wasn't red and itchy. Now everything can make sense. 

How did you treated?, did it go? how long did it take to go? what product did you use?

I don't know if you will read this, i hope so.

stella1609

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Callie had a similar spot from Frontline. She didn't lose her hair, but her skin flaked BADLY right at the application spot. It cleared up just fine on its own.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone else had this experience?
I use Advantage on my cats and they've never had any reaction, other than they tend to be a little lethargic the rest of the day.