big cat playing too rough with my kitty!

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well everything was all well until last night, nipper and princess were playing in the living room and all of a sudden nipper pounced little princess and knocked her over and scared her. now i yelled at nipper and he ran away after that but im not home 24-7 to supervise this, is there any way to discipline this to where i can stop it from happening? Nipper is 3 years old and likes to play, but hes 18lbs...and a big cat, hes not fat, hes big and muscular and can move quick. they were both playing with each other fine until i seen that. i dont want princess to get hurt and i dont think nipper is trying to hurt her, i just dont think he realizes he can. just now he was chasing her and she ran into a small space where he couldnt get in to. any suggestions?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have this problem in my house, but it's the little one attacking the old, cranky one. LOL I just provide lots of hiding places for her. They sleep most of the time when I'm not home, so I don't worry about them when I'm not here. When things get too rough for my liking when I am at home with them, I use a towel to "herd" the offending kitty away from the one who wants to be left alone. If the pestering continues, I give the kitty a brief timeout in a separate room with the door closed. I've found distracting the offending kitty works well, too.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Chip & Firefox play like this all the time - he's around 17 pounds, she's [at most] 7 pounds. he's never hurt her - cats are more resilient than we think.
if your big cat has his claws, make sure they're clipped - same for the little one. this will prevent a lot of injury.
i think he's probably asserting his dominance, to some extent - letting her know he was here first, so to speak. as long as she doesn't seem to be hurt, i wouldn't worry about it. if she squawks or hisses & he doesn't let up, then i'd be concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes you are all right, she seems to know when to hide from him now

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you've heard the saying, "It isn't the size of the cat in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the cat."

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worry about my baby Oedi when he plays with my big boy Atlas, he is a very large cat and has a mean streak in him to boot
but Oedi keeps going back for more so I'm figuring Atlas isn't beating him up too bad. I always tell Atlas to "be nice" but to be honest I'm just so happy that Atlas finally made a friend in the house that I just let kitties be kitties

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I worry about my baby Oedi when he plays with my big boy Atlas, he is a very large cat and has a mean streak in him to boot
but Oedi keeps going back for more so I'm figuring Atlas isn't beating him up too bad. I always tell Atlas to "be nice" but to be honest I'm just so happy that Atlas finally made a friend in the house that I just let kitties be kitties
If Atlas were being too rough, Odei wouldn't be going to him, but would be running from him. Cats are tougher than we think.