The Good Life Recipe vs. Meow Mix Indoor cat formula

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been feeding our 3 indoor cats the Good Life Recipe dry food for at least a year and a half or more. We have never had any problems with it, but I have been researching a lot and am wondering if this is really the best food for them. I was reading about Meow Mix Indoor formula specifically made for indoor cats and it had a lot of great reviews. None of our cats ever go outside and are strictly indoor cats and are all healthy. I am wondering if this formula of Meow Mix is a better quality food than what we have been feeding. I'm not even sure that I want to change foods since we haven't had any problems with the Good Life Recipe food that we have been using for such a long time, but I am curious as to what the better food is for 3 healthy indoor cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use the chicken, brown rice, and garden vegetable formula.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingreds for the Good Life chicken one

INGREDIENTS:
GROUND CORN, CHICKEN-BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT, CHICKEN, WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, DRIED PEAS, DRIED BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, RICE, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED SPINACH, DRIED TOMATOES, DRIED CARROTS, SKIM MILK POWDER, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, TAURINE, dl-METHIONINE, MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON OXIDE, VITAMINS (dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN A ACETATE, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C], VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, BIOTIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6] ), VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), CHLOROPHYLL, NATURALLY PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, MARIGOLD MEAL.

From what I've learned in my post called Performatrin Kitten, is that the first 5 ingreds are very important, and in this one, you have a lot of corn + byproduct (could be anything, beaks feathers, etc.)

I can't seem to find the ingred list for the Meow Mix one...

The nutritional info is:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) - 31.0%
Crude Fat (Min) - 11.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) - 9.0%
Moisture (Max) - 12.0%
Calcium (Min) - 1.0%
Phosphorus (Min) - 0.8%

compared to the Good Life Recipe:

CRUDE PROTEIN
MIN. 34.0%
CALCIUM
MIN. 1.0%

CRUDE FAT
MIN. 13.0%
PHOSPHORUS
MIN. 0.8%

CRUDE FIBER
MAX. 4.5%
VITAMIN A
MIN. 11,000 IU/kg

MOISTURE
MAX. 12.0%
VITAMIN E
MIN. 225 IU/kg

LINOLEIC ACID
MIN. 1.4%
TAURINE
MIN. 0.15%

Hopefully Sharky will respond to this
Personally I wouldn't feed the first one due to the first ingreds of: GROUND CORN, CHICKEN-BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT.

but thats just me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is about the same ... as the main ingrediant s are the same

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meow mix indoor

Chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, brewers rice, powdered cellulose, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), turkey by-product, salmon meal, fish meal source of oceanfish flavor), brewers dried yeast, gelatin, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, potassium chloride, alfalfa, gelatin, phosphoric acid, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, l-lysine zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, dl-methionine, yellow 6, manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamin E supplement, yellow 5, copper sulfate, red 40, calcium pantothenate, blue 2, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, rosemary extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just found the ingredients for the Meow Mix Indoor formula:

Chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, brewers rice, powdered cellulose, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), turkey by-product, salmon meal, fish meal source of oceanfish flavor), brewers dried yeast, gelatin, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, potassium chloride, alfalfa, gelatin, phosphoric acid, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, l-lysine zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, dl-methionine, yellow 6, manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamin E supplement, yellow 5, copper sulfate, red 40, calcium pantothenate, blue 2, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, rosemary extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182688

Sharky responded to a bunch of different products I was thinking about trying... It is worth a read, to find out what the different ingreds mean and whether they are good or bad.

Oh, I found this on the meow mix: http://hubpages.com/hub/Meow_Mix_Cat_Food_Rated

based on the ingreds listed, if I had to chose, I would stay on the one you are on, not the Meow Mix.

EDIT: You found a ingred list, different than the one I did. But I would still stay on the one you are on because the meow mix has: a byproduct first, the corn and more corn meal.

EDIT again: The link of Meow Mix, is NOT the indoor formula.

JMO.

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do seem to be very similar. I wonder if we should even change foods if we have never had a problem and they all seem to like it well enough. I do supplement with wet food once a day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Ingreds for the Good Life chicken one

INGREDIENTS:
GROUND CORN corn or corn gluten are okay ... but not the first ingredients and not IMHO together in one formula, CHICKEN-BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FATwhose ?? this could be anything and also does not know how it was preserved , CHICKEN, WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICEsome like this ... I see it as a less digestible version of the most digestible grain, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, DRIED PEAS, DRIED BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, RICE, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED SPINACH, DRIED TOMATOES, DRIED CARROTS, SKIM MILK POWDER, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, TAURINE, dl-METHIONINE, MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON OXIDE, VITAMINS (dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN A ACETATE, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C], VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, BIOTIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6] ), VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), CHLOROPHYLL, NATURALLY PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, MARIGOLD MEAL.

From what I've learned in my post called Performatrin Kitten, is that the first 5 ingreds are very important, and in this one, you have a lot of corn + byproduct (could be anything, beaks feathers, etc.)

I can't seem to find the ingred list for the Meow Mix one...

The nutritional info is:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) - 31.0%
Crude Fat (Min) - 11.0%
low end of average for both
Crude Fiber (Max) - 9.0%HIGH ave is 3-5 %
Moisture (Max) - 12.0%
Calcium (Min) - 1.0%
Phosphorus (Min) - 0.8%

compared to the Good Life Recipe:

CRUDE PROTEIN
MIN. 34.0%
ave and solid but most is from grain sources
CALCIUM
MIN. 1.0%

CRUDE FAT
MIN. 13.0%
low ave
PHOSPHORUS
MIN. 0.8%

CRUDE FIBER
MAX. 4.5%
VITAMIN A
MIN. 11,000 IU/kg

MOISTURE
MAX. 12.0%
VITAMIN E
MIN. 225 IU/kg

LINOLEIC ACID
MIN. 1.4%
TAURINE
MIN. 0.15%

Hopefully Sharky will respond to this
Personally I wouldn't feed the first one due to the first ingreds of: GROUND CORN, CHICKEN-BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT.

but thats just me.
I would not give a second look... if you can only shop at a grocery store look at purina s naturals ( lots of grains but also fair amount of meat

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They all love their wet food. We give them the Meow Mix Market Selects in chicken, turkey, and beef.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jwheeler

I just found the ingredients for the Meow Mix Indoor formula:

Chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, brewers rice, powdered cellulose, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), turkey by-product, salmon meal, fish meal source of oceanfish flavor) this is a who , brewers dried yeast, gelatin, if no grain I would understand a wet food with this ... soybean oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, potassium chloride, alfalfa, gelatin, phosphoric acid, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, l-lysine zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, dl-methionine, yellow 6, manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamin E supplement, yellow 5, copper sulfate, red 40, calcium pantothenate, blue 2, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, rosemary extract, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity).
as your see the first few are quite similar

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jwheeler

They all love their wet food. We give them the Meow Mix Market Selects in chicken, turkey, and beef.
MM wet food is actually of decent to good quality

jwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been feeding the MM wet food for a little over a year now and they all do so incredibly well on it. They would occasionally throw up with other wet foods that we tried.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just stick with what your doing. if it works well for them, don't change it.