adopting a third kitty

ben234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I am new to the site - very impressed with the excellent advice that is given

I have a 13 year old female cat named Cleo and just recently adopted ( in September) a 7 month old spayed male named Oliver. It is now December and Cleo is slowly coming around to accept that Oliver is not going away and has stopped hissing and swatting at him. She will hiss and swat if Oliver gets too close. Oliver wants so badly to become Cleo's friend - he will follow her around crying and will sleep near her. My question is - would it be a good idea to adopt a buddy for Oliver?. Would this be too traumatic for Cleo or should I just wait and see if Cleo comes around and warms up to Oliver?? Thanks in advance. Wishing all a very Merry Christmas!!

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, no.

Let Cheo warm up to Oliver first before you make any other moves.

She sounds like she is almost there.

It might distract her.

Merry Christmas to you too.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...I would have said, yes, get Oliver a buddy so he stops bugging Cleo. He needs someone his own age that will play with him, and I really doubt a 13 year old cat has the energy of a 7 month old.

That being said, I have 5 cats, and just sort of threw them together, so I don't know how good of a source I am!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Would a local shelter let you foster a cat, or take one on a trial basis until you see how it's working out?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Hmmm...I would have said, yes, get Oliver a buddy so he stops bugging Cleo. He needs someone his own age that will play with him, and I really doubt a 13 year old cat has the energy of a 7 month old.

That being said, I have 5 cats, and just sort of threw them together, so I don't know how good of a source I am!
I would also say yes to another younger cat for Oliver to play with.

And I also just 'threw' my cats in together
(with no problems!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would consider another. He won't get less playful/in your face very soon....it actually might help if he has someone his age to maul/burn off energy with - as then he'd be less annoying to the "resigning queen".

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My situation is very similar to yours. Over a year ago I adopted a 4 month old male (Forrest) when I already had a 4 year old female (Lilly). Lilly will tolerate Forrest, but he always wants to play and she just wants to lay around and be lazy. It mostly ends up with her hissing at him and Forrest occasionally chasing her trying to get her to play.

2 1/2 weeks ago I adopted another male that is the exact same age as Forrest. Wow....they are now best friends and almost totally leave Lilly alone. I was a little hesitant to adopt a 3rd but now I have to say it is the best decision I've made. Lilly is happy because Forrest plays with Zachary and leaves her alone, Forrest is in heaven because he has a friend that can keep up with him and I am happy because I don't have to constantly be Forrest's playmate.

Even our new boy Zachary is happy because he now has a family who loves him.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

i agree [to both, btw]. when Mouse died, Pixel was 7 years old, & Cable about 5 months - Cable wore her out wanting to play. i acquired Java [stray] a couple of months later - Java was about 3.5 months old, Cable around 6 months old. peace was restored - Cable had a kitten to play with & Pixel to snuggle with.
so i'd say, yes - get a playmate, maybe 1 just over a year old - calmer for Cleo, but plenty of energy for Oliver!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Sahsa when Coco was almost 16 and Meeko was 6.5.
I had Stormy and Yoshi that were 4 then.
I would get another kitten so they leave the older cat alone.
I got Oreo so Sasha would have someone younger to play with and it worked out great.
Now I got Cleo who is 4.5 months now and she with plays with Sasha all the time.
Sasha is my 2.5 year old.
My 8.5 year old dosent like playing and Coco dosent either but she is 16.10.
Oreo is 1.5 now and plays with Cleo also.