no rabies vaccines in Japan, HELP!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 8 week old kitten "Aya" who I rescued from the middle of the road with a bad URI and possibly pneumonia. She's all better now and we're getting attached and I took her in to get her 8 wk shots.

When I got there, and they were telling me about the choices they offered (via translation) and they had 2 selections:

3 shots for indoor cats (the equivalent of a feline RCP)

Or 5 for outdoor cats (the 3 that add up to RCP, plus clamydia, and FELV)

At no stage did they suggest testing her for FELV or FIV and they know she's a stray. And I asked about when they give rabies vaccinations knowing full well from my 2 years as a Vet receptionist that they do it at about 12 weeks.

And I got a suprize, they don't! I explained to them I would want to take her back to the States and was pretty sure I'd need her to be vaccinated to travel or enter my home state where rabies is required by law. they said they could give her a dog shot but it might cause an allergic reaction...

I asked them where to go and they said the Vet on Kadena Airforce Base, not realizing that I'm not military, and can't access those services. I asked where else I could go and they said its just not something they do here.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There used to be an organization on Okinawa called the Okinawan-American Animal Rescue Society. It's been a long time, and I've no idea if they are still there, but they are (or were) a non-profit American run rescue group. If they still exist, they may be able to help. I wish you the very best of luck, and the little Ko Neko is just toooo cute

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new kitten was shipped from North Carolina and she had to get the Rabies Shot to go on the plane.
My husband worked for United and he said any cat coming has to have it to fly.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you contact a vet in your home state to see about having the vaccine shipped to Okinawa? Once in Okinawa the vaccine could be administered by the vet. Via a translator maybe the two vets would be able to collaborate on your new cats care.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh that's a very good idea that FuzMugly is suggesting...I don't know about a cat flying by herself, but I don't think they will ask you for proof of shots or anything if you just check her in as your carry on. That's what my friend always does with her little chihuahua.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at Northwest airline's policy- carry on pets do not require any documents or a health certificate. You can just get the shot once you are in the US, unless there is a specific law in the state you will be arriving in, you should check about that..

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Ohh that's a very good idea that FuzMugly is suggesting...I don't know about a cat flying by herself, but I don't think they will ask you for proof of shots or anything if you just check her in as your carry on. That's what my friend always does with her little chihuahua.
ALL cats/dogs have to be vaccinated / chipped / before going overseas, wherever they are, and for some destination countries like UK, Norway and other isolated countries a rabbies antibody test is necesary otherwise they have to spend time in quaranteene and then they test them, those countries also demand other health tests, for example leishmania (kalazar) not sure about either spell)
I am sure you have the same in US, maybe when your friend travels is within US so they do not ask her for health certificates.
It does not matter if is a carry-on or the animal goes cargo, the person that deposits it or travels with has to show all documentation

I am not so sure how easy can be to send a vaccine from other country because it has to be refrigerated, I am sure that if you contact the Okinawan-American Animal Rescue Society mentioned above, or maybe try another vet that can help you get it

R

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I did a search and came up with this. So you will need the rabies vaccination and hopefully, they can connect you with someone who will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody.

Most airlines require proof of vaccination, I'm finding. Also I'm not sure about importing the vaccine as Japan has rather strict controls regarding pharmecuticals.

I am going to try and talk to my Vet at home in the USA to see what they say about using the canine vaccine on her. And try to find another local Vet who can help me.

I am aware of OOARS, however I've tried to contact them before. I offered to volunteer and no one ever contacted me back. I'm not sure how interested they are in working outside the military community.

I may have to ship her unaccompanied as there is an embargo on shipping animals between May and October on account of the heat and my contract ends at the end of July. I'm here till 2010 most likely.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, i'm just a little curious, how do you prove that the cat is vaccinated?? For instance I have my receipt from the vet that says which vaccines are given on what day, but all it has is the name of my cat, so how can they know that this is the cat all the things are given to?? It's just kind of strange to me, I was wondering about that when there was the thread about licensing pets too...
Anyway back to the original question I'm really surprised that the vets are not accommodating for pets traveling to other countries. Maybe they can make an exception though because the cat is coming from Japan and this isn't done anywhere in Japan? If they do the antibody test then they should see the kitty has no rabies and should be fine, right??

adeebm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

If they do the antibody test then they should see the kitty has no rabies and should be fine, right??
I think it takes some time for rabies to be testable and that is why they have quarantine. My cat got a "Rabies certificate" with his name on it but no other ID.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I flew PJ & Punky - their rabies certificates had detailed descriptions (color, age, weight, etc) as well as their names on it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - just a random thought to ask your vet about (or any vet about).

The shots record from my foster dog reads Rabies Canine/Feline 3 yr.

So - are canine & feline rabies shots the same? Can they give the canine vaccine, but in a lower dose based on weight? My dogs range from 12 lbs to 90 lbs - are they given the same shot? Just some random thoughts.....check with any vet you can get to talk to you....there has to be a way to get your kitty a rabies vaccine if its needed!