Is anyone going to the CFA show in Phoenix 12/28?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have the day off and was thinking about going to the CFA show in Phoenix on Saturday, just to see what it's like. I thought it would be fun to meet someone from TCS if anybody is going to be there.

I've never considered showing my cats. In fact, I didn't even know there was a Household Pet category until I read it here. I'm still not seriously thinking about it, but if I can't get my kittens adopted out soon I may change my mind. Several people have suggested that Lion, the red tabby male, could do well at an HHP show.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to the show and watch the HHP classes and see what you have to do. Then go home and practice with your boy. If he seems to be comfortable sign him up for the next one in town

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wont be there of course...hehehe but I do know that one of the Asian Exhibitors would be showing her Russian Blue there!
She's going for a National Win. Should eb a fun and interesting show for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I could use some suggestions on what to look for at a show. I'll be able to attend only the first day, Saturday, December 27. Do they do different things on the two days? Is it worth getting there when the doors open or would it be better a little later after the judging is under way?

I'm wanting to find out about showing cats in general, not looking at a specific breed. Are Household Pets shown both days? I found the hours the show is open but couldn't locate a specific schedule.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The show runs the same on either day. You don't have a schedule unless you enter. But each rings starts with a certain group and they roatate. For example, Ring 1 starts with AB Kittens, Ring 2 with AB Championship, Ring 3, with Household Pets, Ring 4 with Alter Championship.

I would go around lunchtime a few hrs till they get underway in the judging. The judges will have done at least one final by then. Usually the admission desk will have a copy of the schedule and you can see which ring the HHP's are in (or ask). They are the last numbers in the catalog, so you can find out what group of numbers you are looking for in the rings.

Try to go to the next judge that will be doing the HHP's and have a seat up front and listen to their comments. As you go from ring to ring, you will find which judges are more talkative and that's the ones you want to watch judge so they explain things.

One caution - leave the checkbook at home and only take cash - you will buy too many cat toys if you don't

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The show runs the same on either day. You don't have a schedule unless you enter. But each rings starts with a certain group and they roatate. For example, Ring 1 starts with AB Kittens, Ring 2 with AB Championship, Ring 3, with Household Pets, Ring 4 with Alter Championship.

I would go around lunchtime a few hrs till they get underway in the judging. The judges will have done at least one final by then. Usually the admission desk will have a copy of the schedule and you can see which ring the HHP's are in (or ask). They are the last numbers in the catalog, so you can find out what group of numbers you are looking for in the rings.

Try to go to the next judge that will be doing the HHP's and have a seat up front and listen to their comments. As you go from ring to ring, you will find which judges are more talkative and that's the ones you want to watch judge so they explain things.

One caution - leave the checkbook at home and only take cash - you will buy too many cat toys if you don't
Thanks for the tips. I really didn't want to have to get up extra early to make the drive. Noon sounds pretty good to me.

I love getting my kitties new toys. The problem is, they'd rather play with paper bags or or wadded up bits of aluminum foil. So far the only thing that's been worth the money I paid for it is the cat tree.

What does AB stand for? I've seen it listed several places but haven't found any key. If I keep reading about show cats long enough I may figure it out on my own.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AB = all breed (both the long and short hairs compete together for the top spots.

SP = specialty - long and short hairs are judged separate and you have 2 finals. AB you have one final

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I did get to the cat show on Saturday. Sorry it's taken me so long to report back. I got there in time to spend the entire afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can see where it would be even more fun if I had a cat entered.

The first ring I came to the judge was describing the cats, telling what breed they were and what she was looking for in that particular cat. Too bad she was down to the last three cats in the ring. When another set of cats was called for a different ring I thought I could get in at the beginning and follow the whole procedure. It was kind of disappointing that it was a judge who never said a word, just picked up a cat, looked at it, and put it back in the cage. You could see her say something to a cat once in a while but she never spoke to the audience. I didn't make it around to all the rings, but of the ones I watched, she was the only judge who didn't talk to us.

I got to play with a Turkish Angora kitten.
She was 5 months old and couldn't have weighed even a pound. The breeder said she was the runt of the litter and has a brother who is four times her size.

I did get a chance to talk to a couple of people about showing household pets. One was a judge who was taking a break. She was very friendly, telling me quite a bit about how a show is run. The other was one of the club organizers I think. Anyway, she was specifically involved in working with people who show HHPs. I still have a lot of questions, but it gave me a starting point.

I'm not even sure I have a cat who would do well in a show. My prettiest cat is also the least well behaved and has a tendency to bite when she's through with being handled.
The cat with the flashiest markings is a scaredycat. She'd freak out at a show.

I'm working on finding forever homes for Goldy and two of her kittens. If that happens any time soon it will leave me with Iris as the only possible show kitty. She's a sweetheart--most of the time. She loves to play and cuddle and she's the first to greet visitors when anybody comes to my house. She can also be a brat, but at this point she's still a cute brat.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goldycat, as a Domestic judge for about 6 years now and almost a fully fledged pedigree judge I think Miss Patchwillow has the looks of a show cat. Does she have the nature?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Goldycat, as a Domestic judge for about 6 years now and almost a fully fledged pedigree judge I think Miss Patchwillow has the looks of a show cat. Does she have the nature?
Unfortunately, she's my scaredycat. Whenever somebody comes to the house she hides under the bed. If they stay long enough she may eventually come out to check them out but I never know if she's going to be rolling around on their shoes or taking off for parts unknown as soon as they look at her.

Would it be acceptable to take her to a show without entering her if I'm showing another cat? Just to see how she reacts to the show hall.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you had a good time and got to meet and talk to judges, etc. Like I said, some judges like to talk, some don't. My hubby always compliments the judges who do explain the breeds, etc.

As far as who to pick. You might want to enter 2 or 3 if you can afford it. That way you can tell who likes it and who doesn't. I don't see why Goldy and Iris would not do well if they like to be handled by strangers and are pretty outgoing. I'd start with those two.

Flashy is good, but personality and handling are better. If Patchwillow was against Goldy or Isis and I was picking out my finals - if the other two were nicer to handle and all equal in type/weight, then I'd choose the ones that had personality over the flash of Patchwillow.

BTW red tabbies and calicos are my fav picks in HHP's. When I was a judge, I'd usually have those cats (in good condition and personality) in my top 5 cats!

You can take an extra cat as a companion cat, but you need to buy a double cage for the one entered. So IMO why not just pay a little more and enter both.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Goldy is a beautiful color and has a very laid-back personality. However, she has a small lower jaw and a bit of an overbite. Her upper fangs are always showing. Would that affect the judging in HHP?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a plus in HHP. A few exta toes or a crooked ear or even a missing limb is something a little different and special. Go for it.

I know of two 3-legged cats that do/did VERY well in racking up ribbons and prizes. In both cases, you would not know it til the judge takes them out on the table. They lay down in the cage and handle so easy and have great personalities. They are not flashy cats, just full of life.

With that nice red color - she would be my top 5 pick

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay next question. Oh wait---two questions.

1. I'm looking at a show that is April 24-26. The kittens will be 8 months old on the 23rd. Does that mean I enter them as cats or is there an overlap between kittens and cats?

2. I am currently trying to rehome three of the kitties. If I register one for a show and then that kitty finds a new home, am I allowed to substitute a different cat? That's assuming there's enough advance notice. I'm not talking about making a change on the day of the show.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to both questions - if the kitten is 8 months the day before the show she would be shown as an adult and would need to be spayed/neutered by then.

And yes, if the kitten would be adopted before the closing date listed, then you could call the entry clerk and either substitute or pull the kitten in question. I doubt you would get your entry fee back, but if before the closing date they may do that - ask what the club policy is.

IMO I'd substitute if I could.

Jack will be having his 2nd show on that weekend, but up here in Minnesota. We have 2 planned in April for him (the 3rd one got cancelled).

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would the posters with HHP judging experience be willing to provide feedback for members with moggies who are interested in entering the HHP category? I don't want to impose on people, as a relative newbie here and all

If so, I can start a separate thread, so as not to distract from GoldyCat's questions.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'd be happy to help out too. Of course personality is what I look for but if you can have looks and personality who would complain?

I'd definitely pick your friendliest cat and enter that one, just to start with, so you get a feel and then as you learn the ropes maybe enter another one.