Why do people get grumpy around the holidays

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about this today when I had to run some last minute errands. I had to stop at the grocery store to a few last minute items. Usually not a big deal and no real issues. Well the veggie aisle was just packed. One woman left her hubby with cart at the end of the aisle and be bopped down there to get her a few cans of green beans. Well this other woman got all huffy (while on a cell phone) about how this woman cut in front of her parked cart to get these items. I was ahead of this woman. I looked at this older lady as she passed and said "I'll make sure I am not in anyone's way lest I anger someone." I just can not believe how a season that is suppose to make people joyous can bring out the nasty in some people.

Anyone else have any stories.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I shop during 'off' hours. I'm just not used to these holiday shoppers and long lines at the checkout counters.

I'm personally pretty mellow but my nephew got pretty aggravated at the check out lines this weekend.

Thankfully we're all done and won'[t have to re-appear at the grocry until after XMas.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worked retail stores when I was putting myself through college. Because of that experience, particularly because of the grumpies at Christmas time, I go out of my way to be nice to every single clerk that I encounter, and often times to customers around me. I offered a man behind me in line a 20% off coupon at Macy's yesterday (I had extras) and he was sooooooo happy.

Some people set very high expectations for the holiday season, and when things don't go exactly as they want them to, they get grumpy. It's a waste of emotion.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to my world.......NYC is like this 24-7, 365 days of the year! I am so pleasantly shocked when someone acknowledges others presence in these situations, I have to thank them for what would normally be common courtesy!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get a little grumpy doing last min. shopping because its sooooo packed, and everyone is in a hurry to get their things. I despise hectic environments
so it does get to me. I try to get things done before its that busy.....

for some people, the stress of the holidays can be overwhelming. So if I get pushed while shopping, or a rude remark, I try to politely say Happy Holidays
because you never know what's going on with those people who are grumpy. I know this time of year makes my emotions run wild due to past issues, so it can be a tough time.

Not saying that's an excuse to be rude, more that its an excuse for random acts of kindness. Some people need it

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously this isn't the most festive year for me, and I don't have much Christmas spirit. but that being said I can see why people get grumpy.

everything you do in the public is more difficult. people are everywhere shopping, traffic is awful etc. But more than that, if you're unhappy and your life isn't very good Christmas brings that to the front. seeing the commercials, knowing it's coming etc. it's very hard to deal with for some people.

I haven't had christmas spirit since the year I divorced my wife, but I've learned to just not look forward to it, and to try being happy for those that I do see enjoy it.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Some people set very high expectations for the holiday season, and when things don't go exactly as they want them to, they get grumpy. It's a waste of emotion.
I so agree with this. People seem to set their personal bars way, way too high. The gifts must be perfect, the lights must be perfect, the tree must be perfect, the seating arrangements must be perfect, the glaze for the ham must be perfect, gravy, ditto - perfect, etc etc etc.

Why not just relax and see it for what it is; a birthday party

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, people are definitely very stressed out this time of year. I try to shop at off times - and do a lot of my purchases online. That way the only grumpy person I might encounter is the UPS man!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i actually started going to walmart at like 3am lol. I have strange hours anyway, but it was nice to see NOBODY in the store

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always try to be very pleasant if I go to the stores at Christmas, I paste a smile on and dive in
I don't understand why everyone can't just be a little more patient and understanding
we're all in a hurry and we all need something

one thing I hate though is when the store is packed to the gills, why must you leave your cart directly in the middle of the aisle??

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Holidays are actually very hard (emotionally) for a lot of people and I think lashing out and being grumpy and moody are just unintentional coping methods for some people.

Though I am near my parents now, I was always in a deep blue funk around my birthday and the holidays when I had no family near by, worse after my sister passed away.

Cases of clinical depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder are always up this time of year too.

The best defense (coming from someone who suffers depression) is to be nice, and smile.
You'd be surprised at just how far a friendly gesture or face can go towards making a depression sufferer feel better.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Welcome to my world.......NYC is like this 24-7, 365 days of the year! I am so pleasantly shocked when someone acknowledges others presence in these situations, I have to thank them for what would normally be common courtesy!
THAT IS SOOO TRUE!!! Even in the NYC Hospitals people are rude...I was once in the hospital around christmas (I was released the day before Christmas eve) and my crazy roommate was soo mad that she would be stuck in the hospital for christmas that she THREW a plate of food at the doctor!! And when I was discharged she looked at me and said "OH MY GOD!! WHERE YOU HERE THE WHOLE TIME??!" I responded yes I was..how she could have POSSIBLY missed another person in the room...esp since I had lots of visitors was COMPETELY beyond me. Then she looked at me and asked me what i Was in for and when I told her she was like....oh my...that...sucks... she didn't notice me because I was confinded to the bed since i had hip surgery while she was running around the room throwing stuff at people until all hours of the morning....ahhh the holidays do bring out the worst in people sometimes...but she did explain why she was so upset and it made sense...but still I always remeber that conversation when I see people getting grumpy at the holidays and remeber that there is most likley more then meets the eye so just give them space and a smile because you never know what is going on and try not to judge...so far its worked for me...as I find if you try to remember that you DON"T know what is behind that bad mood it seems to make them fade into the background...since I know I couldn't have possibly caused their mood...

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this is so true...in stores and driving....even the people i had on the phones this week...people are downright nasty.

if anything, im more nice this time of year...im usually pretty miserable in grocery stores....i cant stand them...but this time of year i love being out in the crowds, i never mind driving, i think im so happy cause im out picking up things for the ones i love

i mean...if your going to wait to do last minute shopping you know what your in for! so why get mad?