How long will it take for a spay scar to go away on a Sphynx?

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she will always have a scar. As long as there are no complicating factors (like infection) the scar should fade a good deal to where it is white and barely visible. I would say you should not be able to really notice it 6 months to a year following surgery, but it will depend on how quickly she heals.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know, so I'm throwing this out anyways in hopes someone can say whether this would work or not.

With humans, or at least with myself... vit E cream with no additives (perfumes/etc) has helped heal up some scarring very well and very fast (compared to letting it heal on its own with no cream).

Would it help Cleo's scar, to put vit E cream on it?

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know about with cats, but my dog's spay scar was always visible her whole life, though it faded considerably and eventually became just a very faint line.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I do not know, so I'm throwing this out anyways in hopes someone can say whether this would work or not.

With humans, or at least with myself... vit E cream with no additives (perfumes/etc) has helped heal up some scarring very well and very fast (compared to letting it heal on its own with no cream).

Would it help Cleo's scar, to put vit E cream on it?
There is evidence that it's not the vit E that fades scars--it's the massage when you rub it in. You can use any lotion for the same effect. A study were participants smoothed vit e oil onto scars vs rubbing it in actually showed that vit E used that way (not rubbed in) actually *delayed* healing and scar fading.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Simkie

There is evidence that it's not the vit E that fades scars--it's the massage when you rub it in. You can use any lotion for the same effect. A study were participants smoothed vit e oil onto scars vs rubbing it in actually showed that vit E used that way (not rubbed in) actually *delayed* healing and scar fading.
Interesting.... Can you point me to the direction of that study? I would be very interested in seeing it, who did it, and the controls they used. How old were the scars? Please do let me know where I can find out more about this study.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was pregnant and getting very large, my doctor told me I could rub oil on my tummy to ease the tension but that the oil would do nothing to help prevent stretch marks. He said the type of skin a person had would be the deciding factor as to marks, so I wonder if the scar on your kitty would be similar. If her skin is a certain type the scar would not show as much as on another kitty. I don't know this for sure, just taking a wild guess. I would imagine it's like us humans - as time goes by the scar will fade but always be visible if one is looking for it.

I know I have no stretch marks at all on my body but my daughter has stretch marks just from gaining and losing weight so I tend to believe what my dear old doctor told me those many years ago and think that animals may have the same issues.

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just snapped this pic for you. This is Bianca, one of my Chinese Cresteds. She's been spayed for about a year now. You can still see her scar but it's just faint. Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see it on your dog.
Wheni s your kitten coming.
Cleos scar starts between her bottom nipples.

darling poodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna is hopefully coming right after Christmas. We had bad weather so it was delayed a bit but it's kind of a good thing, one of the littermates was just bought by someone in my town so we are shipping them together so it will be less stressful on them

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It didn't take very long. I don't remember the exact times though. She was spayed with a laser and had internal dissolving stitches and was spayed older, somewhere around a year old if my memory is correct