TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › How long will it take for a spay scar to go away on a Sphynx?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How long will it take for a spay scar to go away on a Sphynx?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was wondering if Cleo will always have a scar on her because she has no fur to hide it like other cats.
post #2 of 17
Yes, she will always have a scar. As long as there are no complicating factors (like infection) the scar should fade a good deal to where it is white and barely visible. I would say you should not be able to really notice it 6 months to a year following surgery, but it will depend on how quickly she heals.
post #3 of 17
I do not know, so I'm throwing this out anyways in hopes someone can say whether this would work or not.

With humans, or at least with myself... vit E cream with no additives (perfumes/etc) has helped heal up some scarring very well and very fast (compared to letting it heal on its own with no cream).

Would it help Cleo's scar, to put vit E cream on it?
post #4 of 17
I don't know about with cats, but my dog's spay scar was always visible her whole life, though it faded considerably and eventually became just a very faint line.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
It has only been one month.
The scar is not real big.
Smaller then I expected it to be.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
I do not know, so I'm throwing this out anyways in hopes someone can say whether this would work or not.

With humans, or at least with myself... vit E cream with no additives (perfumes/etc) has helped heal up some scarring very well and very fast (compared to letting it heal on its own with no cream).

Would it help Cleo's scar, to put vit E cream on it?
There is evidence that it's not the vit E that fades scars--it's the massage when you rub it in. You can use any lotion for the same effect. A study were participants smoothed vit e oil onto scars vs rubbing it in actually showed that vit E used that way (not rubbed in) actually *delayed* healing and scar fading.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Here is a picture of her scar but it came out bad.
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSC00458.jpg
I will try to get a better pic where you can see it better.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
There is evidence that it's not the vit E that fades scars--it's the massage when you rub it in. You can use any lotion for the same effect. A study were participants smoothed vit e oil onto scars vs rubbing it in actually showed that vit E used that way (not rubbed in) actually *delayed* healing and scar fading.

Interesting.... Can you point me to the direction of that study? I would be very interested in seeing it, who did it, and the controls they used. How old were the scars? Please do let me know where I can find out more about this study.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Here is a picture of her scar but it came out bad.
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSC00458.jpg
I will try to get a better pic where you can see it better.
It doesn't look bad at all. I would expect, barring any infections, it will heal up nice and you will hardly see it at all in a year or so.
post #10 of 17
When I was pregnant and getting very large, my doctor told me I could rub oil on my tummy to ease the tension but that the oil would do nothing to help prevent stretch marks. He said the type of skin a person had would be the deciding factor as to marks, so I wonder if the scar on your kitty would be similar. If her skin is a certain type the scar would not show as much as on another kitty. I don't know this for sure, just taking a wild guess. I would imagine it's like us humans - as time goes by the scar will fade but always be visible if one is looking for it.

I know I have no stretch marks at all on my body but my daughter has stretch marks just from gaining and losing weight so I tend to believe what my dear old doctor told me those many years ago and think that animals may have the same issues.
post #11 of 17
I just snapped this pic for you. This is Bianca, one of my Chinese Cresteds. She's been spayed for about a year now. You can still see her scar but it's just faint. Hope this helps!
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
I can see it on your dog.
Wheni s your kitten coming.
Cleos scar starts between her bottom nipples.
post #13 of 17
Luna is hopefully coming right after Christmas. We had bad weather so it was delayed a bit but it's kind of a good thing, one of the littermates was just bought by someone in my town so we are shipping them together so it will be less stressful on them
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
I bet you can not wait to get her.
Cleo was cancelled two times due to it being cold.
post #15 of 17
It didn't take very long. I don't remember the exact times though. She was spayed with a laser and had internal dissolving stitches and was spayed older, somewhere around a year old if my memory is correct
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Cleos were dissolving.
I have no idea what the inside ones are.
post #17 of 17
It shouldn't be too long - and better to have a scar then to be entire!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › How long will it take for a spay scar to go away on a Sphynx?