What a long strange trip it's been.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, and apologies to Jerry and the rest of the Grateful Dead for stealing their song title.
I came across this website by accident while searching for a totally non-cat related subject. At the time, I bookmarked it and forgot all about it. Recently, I ran across the bookmark and decided to stop in and say "Hi." I've got 4 cats, Thufir (9), Tiny (10), Tre (12), and Promise (4). I also refer to them sometimes as the 4 F's: Fluffy, Furry, Fuzzy, and Funky (that last one is for Promise, who wasn't so great at cleaning herself when she was a little kitten). Right now I'm trying to finish up a PhD, I work at a lab doing research 20-30 hours a week, and I travel 2-3 weeks a year, so I've got about all the kitties I can handle. I've toyed with the idea of volunteering with one of the local rescue groups, but I have a feeling it would be hard to resist all the sad kitties. So for now, I'll just stick to an occasional monetary donation when I have the funds. If you want to hear about how I got each of my kitties, read on. In any event, I've posted up some pics of my kitties on my Picasa web account here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Grogs123...eat=directlink

I had a few cats growing up, but I wasn't able to have one in college or while single in the army. During my last year or so in the service I had a live-in girlfriend with a cat, so I decided to get my own to keep her cat company while we were both gone. That's when I got Tiny, a half-Siamese / half-tabby mix. Today, she's nearly 10 years old, lives up to her name in the ironic sense, and almost completely hides her Siamese heritage behind a gray and black tabby coat.

After a couple of years, I broke up with my girlfriend and we each took our respective cat. It was a pretty amicable separation, so she offered me one of her sister's cats 'to keep Tiny company.' And that's how I got Thufir. He was very skinny and worm-infested when I got him, but I've managed to fatten him up nicely and today he's a big, beautiful cream-colored domestic long hair. He's the most affectionate cat I've ever known and he always wants to be picked up and held like a baby. He also climbs under the covers with me and licks my face to wake me up in the mornings. He's had a couple of health problems, including a urinary tract infection which completely blocked up him up and a pretty bad upper respiratory infection. He's 9 years old now, and although he's on the special cat food he remains quite healthy and athletic.

Tre came along about 2 years later. I had a friend in the Air Force reserve who was being deployed to Iraq, so I agreed to take in her kitty. Tre is a medium hair orange and white tabby, although you can only see the stripes on his tail and his head. From the records I was given with him, my friend got Tre from her friend, who had in turn gotten him from the shelter. That means I'm at least his 4th owner, not counting the shelter. The paperwork also suggested he was born in '96, which would make him 12. That number is based off of the shelter's estimate that he was 5 in 2001 though, so I think he could be anywhere between about 10-14. Tre is extremely laid back and also very loyal. He gets on the bed with me every night, even in the middle of July when none of the other cats want to be near my body heat. He's beginning to show the first signs of aging.
He walks with a slight limp and has trouble getting up and down from the cat tree. I've just started him on some joint support medication, so I'm hoping that will make him feel better.

Lastly, there's Promise. Shortly after I moved into my current apartment, I heard a mewling in the alley by the trash cans. When I looked, there was a lone, very tiny, tuxedo kitten. I took her in and the vet estimated she was 4-5 weeks old. Despite her age, she was already able to eat solid food and use the litter box (although her aim wasn't very good yet). I intended to adopt her out, but by the time she was old enough I was too attached. I was off almost that entire Summer studying and getting ready to go back to grad school. As a result, Promise grew up in my lap and I'm very attached. She's 4-1/2 now, but she's a very small and dainty cat.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for reading this far.

~ Grogs

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!!! Welcome to the Forum!
Your cats are very very cute! I can not believe how much Tiny has changed from when she was a baby - wow!
Have fun discovering this site, and good luck finishing up your PhD!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have a full plate so I don't blame you for opting for a monetary donation vs. time. I agreen that it would be very difficult not to want to take them all home. Loved your photos! Especially the one where they are all on the sill looking out.

Welcome!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter I volunteer at lets me pick out a kitten or cat each month to neuter, and I go to the vet and pay the $25 fee up front for them. I know it's saved the life of at least one cat.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)
lovely pic´s my friend!..
thank you for share with us!...

See you on the forums!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well it was really interesting reading about all of your baby cats. They certainly sound like they live a life full of love.

They are all adorable.

I just had to say that one of your comments, well actually several, but this one, in particular, has me laughing

Tiny lounging peacefully on the bed. As an added bonus, I don't have to worry about the bed blowing away in the event of a hurricane.
Welcome to you and all of your cats to TCS!.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Loved the piccies of your fur crew! Quite a bunch of characters, I must say!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the nice compliments. I'll have to keep an eye on my kitties to make sure their heads don't get too big and float away.
It's nice to be able to brag about my cats a little. My friends just get a glazed look in their eyes and start drooling when I try.

Originally Posted by captiva

It sounds like you have a full plate so I don't blame you for opting for a monetary donation vs. time. I agreen that it would be very difficult not to want to take them all home. Loved your photos! Especially the one where they are all on the sill looking out.

Welcome!
Hi, and thanks. Those window sills are probably the single coolest feature (cat-wise) of my apartment. They're about 60" above the floor, so the cats are able to climb to the top of my cat tree and step right over onto the sill. And because the apartment stays pretty cool in the Summer, I'm able to keep the window open for a large part of the year. I think I had it open continuously from March to October this year, so my kitties got really spoiled up there.

Originally Posted by gemlady

Welcome and if Thufir goes missing he's not with me.
I'll remember not to check at your place.

Originally Posted by Pami

Well it was really interesting reading about all of your baby cats. They certainly sound like they live a life full of love.

They are all adorable.

I just had to say that one of your comments, well actually several, but this one, in particular, has me laughing

Tiny lounging peacefully on the bed. As an added bonus, I don't have to worry about the bed blowing away in the event of a hurricane.

Welcome to you and all of your cats to TCS!.
Thanks. One of the greatest things about Tiny is that she still hops up on my lap everyday and wonders why it's not as big as it used to be when she was a kitten. She lets me know how she feels, too.

In all seriousness though, I do feel bad about her weight. I used to let my cats graze throughout the day and that's when she put on all the weight. Her weight is pretty stable now that I take the food up as soon as they walk away, but I can't get her to lose any weight. I'm just hoping she doesn't develop health problems later on because of it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

It's nice to be able to brag about my cats a little. My friends just get a glazed look in their eyes and start drooling when I try.
I think all of us here have friends like that.
That's why we like this site so much.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding Tiny and her not-so-svelte figure. .... you can always post in the health section and see if anyone has any suggestions on how to get her to drop a little weight. As with people, it's just not good for her.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Grogs,

Welcome to you and your adorable furfamily, to our community of caring people who love cats. As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, just click my username, send a Private Message, I will do what I can to help. Please make yourself at home.