How Soon are Shots Needed?

phxjosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a kitten a few weeks ago, and it inspired my buddy to pick one up as well.

The kitten he got is 11wks old, and has not had any shots yet. He is planning on taking her in after the new year, its the soonest he could make a vet appt.

So is she in danger at all from not having her shots? How long can she go without them? What shots does she need at this point?

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most would have given her at least one 3 in 1 or 4 in1 shot at about 8 weeks ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phxjosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Most would have given her at least one 3 in 1 or 4 in1 shot at about 8 weeks ...
The person he got the kitten from could not afford to keep the kitten or get its shots, so he took it in. He wanted to get it in this week but with the holidays he couldn't..

So is she alright health wise for now? She is indoor only, no other pets besides fishies.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is always the risk that distemper can be brought into the home on your clothes, shoes, etc. I'd get her in ASAP to get started on shots....until then do not expose her to any other unvaccinated cats.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably okay, I mean even when you wait until 8 weeks, there is still a chance that there will be distemper or something brought in from outside until 8 weeks, I guess waiting until 12 weeks, the chance is higher but I don't see how it's different from the kitten being 1-8 weeks and unvaccinated...So yea it is in danger, but if he gets them done in a few weeks then it should be okay...And you already got an answer for what shots will be needed..They usually do three sets of shots, starting at 8 weeks and they are 3 weeks apart...first set is the 3 in 1 or 4 in 1, second is the same (booster I think) third is another of the same plus rabies...Once he gets her to a vet after the new year, the vet will get the kitten up to speed and I don't think it should be an issue..I'm not sure what they will do but it's not going to be too late or anything, I know because I had a friend who had their kitten's first shots at around 12 weeks also... The only problem is the kitten may not have been dewormed. Monitoring her very closely and making sure she has no diarrhea or loose stools should help, if she doesn't then she probably can wait on the dewormer too..