Invention needed!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In reading the sad story of Henry and many other kitties who have gone missing, sometimes without being noticed, I've decided we need an invention! Maybe Fastnoc has the skills...

OK, what we need is a small transmitter, say about the size of a dime, that would go on a cat's collar. It would broadcast a regular signal (say, every 30 seconds) that would be received by a base unit in the house. If the base unit does not receive the expected beep, it sounds an alarm warning that the cat is no longer in the house.

Then, you need a hand-held unit that you could take outdoors and it would point the direction to the cat.

What do you think? Will I be a millionaire?

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think alot of kitty lovers would buy something like that. I know Bean has slipped out of the house before without me noticing right away.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

What do you think? Will I be a millionaire?
i think your DW would love for you to become independently wealthy!

Originally Posted by ClaireBear

Yes, I think a lot of kitty lovers would buy something like that.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a big one - why not invent one in the format of a microchip?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I'm sure they make smaller ones for cats, when I googled it I got a lot of results, but Zoombak is the one I heard about on the news

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

i got the dimensions off of Amazon -
7.1 x 2.8 x 9.1 inches; 3 pounds. way too big for a cat!

ETA: evidently, the 7.1 x 2.8 x 9.1 inches; 3 pounds is a misprint of some sort on Amazon, since the news article i'm reading says 3 ounces/smaller than a deck of cards size. still too bulky for a cat, tho...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well.... you would be a millionaire.... If it already didn't exist... There are a couple versions on the market - one specific for pets, and another one for children, pets and objects, and it can be affixed to the cat's collar...
The first one is a GPS system:

It is currently for Dogs only because of the size, but they are working on a version for cats-
http://www.zoombak.com/products/pet/

The Second is a simple locator:
http://www.loc8tor.com/products.asp

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

well.... you would be a millionaire.... If it already didn't exist... There are a couple versions on the market - one specific for pets, and another one for children, pets and objects, and it can be affixed to the cat's collar...
The first one is a GPS system:

It is currently for Dogs only because of the size, but they are working on a version for cats-
http://www.zoombak.com/products/pet/

The Second is a simple locator:
http://www.loc8tor.com/products.asp
that 2nd one looks like it'd be small enough for a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, how about this? A receiver beside the door that would detect if the cat went by it, similar to the RFID chips and receivers used in stores for security? Anyone know how far away a chip can be detected? I know RF chips can be read from a number of feet away.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing I thought of was GPS lol.

But, it's too big now, but wait a year. With the new discovery of the memristor these are just the type of things that will be microscopic compared to what they are now.

More info from my original geek post:
Originally Posted by fastnoc

This is an exciting time to be alive. First off we're about to take another enormous leap in technology. Computers are going to be re-invented from the ground up because of the new discovery of the memristor, which can remember settings even when it's turned off. picture it as a resistor with memory. It really adds a fourth element to fundamental electronics. We have the resistor the capacitor and the inductor. And now, the memristor.

This isn't new as for the concept. they originally came up with it like 37 years ago in 1971 but it was only visualized then. Now it's a reality.

This will change everything about almost ALL electronics in every way. Well all electronics that use memory, or have very limited electrical needs, like on demans.

Basically all your hard drives are going by by when this comes to the market. Think about that! Your RAM and hard drive are going to be the same piece of hardware, built into an MR drive. What's incredible about this is it will be as fast as your RAM is now (well close). Things like reboots will take a fraction of the time they do now. Stuff like that.

This honestly is a great time to be in electronics because the changes that are coming are going to revolutionize even more than they are now. HP is patenting the memristor, and Intel is working on a 29 nanometer CPU (well they're already WAY ahead of that in R&D) and Intel is also working on wireless electricity.

The next 10 years are going to be incredible in the world of gadgets.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just as an aside, Wal-Mart has a system in the testing phase that automatically identifies everything that comes in the back door. Got a pallet of soap? The system counts them as they come across the dock. Have a dishonest person at the shipper? The system can tell if the pallet is short.

The same is true going out the door. Put something in your pocket while you were in the store? The system knows where it is, and when you go out the door, it knows what it is and where you have it hidden.

There are problems, however. They need a system to reliably "kill" the RFID chip once you're clear of the store. Otherwise, someone can walk around your house with a receiver and know what you have and where it is.

An RFID chip would be plenty small enough to put on a cat's collar.

By the way, I see the "Loc8tor" up above can be bought for about $80.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah. i think the problem with RFID is range. it's not good enough to cover a large area.

And the system you're referring to with walmart is actually being developed to replace cashiers at the store. It reads the cart contents as you approach checkout.

can you imagine how much faster it would be? it wouldn't matter if the person had a full cart, it'd still only take 2 seconds to gather and return the totals. the only problem would be those people that watch every single item go through the scanner for price and don't work like the normal human who looks at their reciept

bagging will still take time though.

It's all coming though. Like the refridgerator that tracks it's contents and generates a list of items to replensish. I use to shop at Safeway because they had home delivery. So think about it. once a week you have your fridge send the list to the store, and they show up in 4 hours with the products? amazing

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But in the meantime, we need a system to help cat owners, like the one with the missing blind cat.