Poor sweet Milo :(

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset and feel like a terrible kitty mom.

A couple hours ago I finished a reply to a post here and went to get a drink. As I was walking down the stairs I saw that Nora was chasing Milo and he was all excited.

(In our house the stairs go up to the second level and then the railing turns 90 degrees for about 2 feet before it hits the wall.)

They ran up the stairs and Milo made an abrupt turn and I think he intended to go into my son's room but the door was closed so he would have been cornered. He instead turned towards the railing, of which I have never seen him go near so I don't think he knew what was coming. He ran through the spindles and didn't stop. He flew over the edge of the landing and started falling to the floor. Of all the worst luck in the world, he landed on the handle of the vacuum, which was sitting next to the stairs.

I saw him twist and contort, and he let out a huge scream. Then he fell onto the floor and just sat there. I ran to him and assessed the damage. At this point I was in panic mode. I almost forgot what to do and froze. He tried to move, but only his front legs worked, and he was having trouble breathing as I could hear him wheezing. I went to get his carrier and put it next to him. I picked him up as gently as I could, trying not to move him much. I slid him into the carrier and he didn't fight me. I rushed him to our vet, which luckily today is their night to stay open late, as fast as I could with it snowing outside. Never at a time other than this have I been so grateful that the vet's office is 3 blocks from my house.

They took us in right away, and they did a quick check of him. At this point he was barely moving and breathing. They took him in the back, and a while later came back and told me that his back was broken a bit behind his shoulders and they thought there was some internal bleeding. They asked me what I wanted to do, but told me there probably wasn't much they could do for him. I didn't want him to suffer any more, so I opted to just have him pts.

We only had him for a month, and he was finally starting to warm up to us and act like a normal kitten. He was so cute, round, and fluffy.
We looked forward to seeing what kind of cat he became, but now we will never know, and he will be sorely missed.

I can't type anymore right now b/c I'm bawling too hard. I'll come back later.

Rest in peace little buddy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, how heartbreaking!
kittens are like little children, aren't they - so hard to predict what they will do!
it wasn't your fault - you couldn't have known what might happen
at least you were there with him, loving him over the bridge, & he knew a wonderful home where he was loved & warm & fed & had playmates...
for Milo, & more
for you...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot tell you how deeply sorry I am for your baby, you and your family to have gone through this. I know it must be so absolutely devastating. I wish I could say something that would comfort you, but I know I cannot. I am so sorry.

Rest In Peace Baby Milo

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry.
Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control.

Play happily over the Rainbow Bridge, Milo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I am still completely beside myself, and then watching the episodes of Little People, Big World where their friend died I was bawling all over again. I was glad I was the only one awake. I can't sleep, so I'm staying up all night and going to an eye dr appt at 8am, then hopefully coming home and sleeping.

I'm just glad my son wasn't there to see it. We still haven't told him. Once tonight he asked where he was, but he said he was probably just somewhere sleeping. I started to tear up and had to leave the room. I'm choking up again now. We had him for such a short time, but I'm just so upset.

Nora seems very upset also. As soon as I got back from the vet I saw her looking around and meowing REALLY loud, like she was trying to find him. She was extremely clingy all night long and just meowing loudly all night. I told my husband that she seemed sad and worried, but he insisted that cats don't have feelings like that. I feel so bad for her. Would getting her a new friend help, or should I wait a while? It would be at least a couple weeks before we would even consider it, but I thought I'd ask. Is there anything I can do for her??

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How horrible. I am so sorry this happened to your sweet baby. RIP Milo

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Would getting her a new friend help, or should I wait a while? It would be at least a couple weeks before we would even consider it, but I thought I'd ask. Is there anything I can do for her??
getting her a new friend probably will help her. also [don't think i'm crazy!] sit down w/Nora & explain to her that Milo has gone to the Bridge.
when Mouse died, i was actually out of town [she was being cared for post-surgery at the vet's office]. so, in Pixel's world, Mouse left the house & never returned. they were littermates, & prior to this had never spent a night apart. i sat down & explained to her what had happened... i could be imagining things, but she seemed to be better afterwards.
fortunately, i had acquired Cable in September [Mouse died in December] so there was already another cat in the house - true, a kitten that drove her crazy, but at least she wasn't alone.
when you do go to get Nora's new friend, i'd stay away from kittens who closely resemble Milo - mainly for your son's sake. it'll be easier for him [IMO] if the new kitten is totally different, appearance-wise, from Milo.
HTH!