Coco has a Ecoli bladder infection again!!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet just called and said its a Ecoli infection again. Coco will be on Baytril for maybe 2 months.
I tried D Mannose but it made Coco get a rash and set her Asthma off.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
have they cultured it to find out which e coli??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They did but she did not tell me the strain.
She is on Baytril for it.
Its so hard when she can not have most antibiotics.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to ask you, what was the pH when they found this infection?

And one more. What is she eating? Canned? Dry? Both?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The majority of human bladder infections are caused by e.coli. I'm not sure about in cats, but in humans that is pretty common.

Sorry to hear about that, though! I hope she starts to feel better soon!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

The majority of human bladder infections are caused by e.coli. I'm not sure about in cats, but in humans that is pretty common.
Do you know if this is true of men, too, or just women?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Coco feels better soon. Just a thought - I'd just been reading about Precious Cat Senior litter on the Dr. Elsey (of Cat Attract fame) web site. I wonder if this would be worth a shot - below is a quote form the web site. I'm keen on his litters, because Cat Attract worked wonders with my boy.

Precious Cat Senior litter addresses the medical and urinary tract problems that this specific group of cats experience with an amorphous silica gel litter infused with hydrolyzed herbs. This litter will help prevent kidney failure and urinary infections that can cause non-use of the litter box. Precious Cat Senior litter has a small particle size that cats prefer. Senior litter absorbs urine on contact and traps it inside the crystal to prevent bacterial growth, thus helping to prevent urinary tract infections. Its small particle size and dust fines also coat and dehydrate cat feces to reduce odor and prevent bacterial growth of E-Coli. E-Coli bacteria grow on feces and along with reduced natural body defenses can lead to kidney failure, urinary and uterine infections. Precious Cat Senior has no organic material such as wheat, pine, corn and paper that can support bacteria and fungal growth, there by helping to prevent urinary infections

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it could help.
I wonder if its ok with Asthma.
The other cats use the same pans as her.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the web site number once and spoke to a very nice lady - maybe if you emailed or called them, they could give you better advice. You could google Dr. Elsey or Precious Cat. The litter is usually carried at Petsmart

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr Elsey was my Vet when I lived in Englewood, Co. He has the All Cat clinic. I really liked him.

I hope Coco feels better soon!!!