I normally don't do Holiday clothes

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I saw this fabric at work and HAD to have some... thinking i'd make a cute little skirt with it... I paired it with some solid red to bring out the hats... and voila! A Kitty Christmas Skirt!! I put in some pleats and used a 'waistband cheat' notion with some elastic at the back so I wouldn't have to go out hunting for a red zipper.

What do you all think?

Here's the fabric up close:

Amanda

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is super cute. I verge on hating holiday apparel but that's more cat than holiday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Super cute!

What kind of top are thinking of wearing that with? I agree it is more cat than holiday...which is a good thing!
Well, I could wear a white knit shirt with a black vest... there's enough red there... I wouldn't want a red top or vest... too much of the same color next to each other... and for warmth, white tights... or black, with black boots.

Amanda

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

What store has that fabric??? I HAVE to own some!!! It would be perfect to make a Christmas scrub hat!!!
I know our store (I work in one) doesn't have any more... I work in Fabric Depot and we have a notoriously high turn around rate for fabric... if it's really nice, or cute, it goes out nearly as fast as it came in...

I just glanced through the Christmas stuff at eQuilter and nothing... they also have a high turnover.

It's called Christmas Cat, by Michael Miller. There might still be someplace online that has some... not sure.

How much does one of those scrub hats take? I still have nearly 1.5 yards... I can't imagine it taking very much, or being all that difficult to make... what style(I've been googling)? Do you have a pic of what you normally use? I'm bored, snowed/iced in, and off work until after Christmas... I also have LOTS of other kitty prints (I've been hoarding cat fabric, instead of cats)... I think upwards of forty different prints...

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that!! I would buy that fabric just to know I own it! I'm obsessed with fabric.
Your project turned out nice also!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very cute skirt and absolutely love that print!

Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I also have LOTS of other kitty prints (I've been hoarding cat fabric, instead of cats)... I think upwards of forty different prints...
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I love that!! I would buy that fabric just to know I own it! I'm obsessed with fabric.
You should see my "Auntie Em" room sometime. When I see a fabric that I really like, I don't buy a little bit of it, I buy the entire bolt. I'm guessing that I have about 50 different animal prints, including 2 entire bolts of Laurel Burch. I have a closet about 8 foot long with the shelf filled with bolts of fabric. Then 2 more bins full, then 2 cabinets full.

My mom was a quilter, and she always used to joke: the person that dies with the most fabric wins.

And yes, "Auntie Em" pays for my fabric addiction.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Very cute skirt and absolutely love that print!

You should see my "Auntie Em" room sometime. When I see a fabric that I really like, I don't buy a little bit of it, I buy the entire bolt. I'm guessing that I have about 50 different animal prints, including 2 entire bolts of Laurel Burch. I have a closet about 8 foot long with the shelf filled with bolts of fabric. Then 2 more bins full, then 2 cabinets full.

My mom was a quilter, and she always used to joke: the person that dies with the most fabric wins.

And yes, "Auntie Em" pays for my fabric addiction.
Hopefully my sales (once i start getting down into it, life has been hairy lately, and not cat hair) will help pay for mine as well. I get a nice discount at work, so it helps. I grew up going to fabric stores with my mother, who made nearly all my clothes (no, mom, I've grown four inches since you made those pants, they're floods now). She was never heavily into quilting, but she made Sunbonnet Sue baby quilts (tied, not properly quilted, IMO). She never sold them, though.

I'd love to get full bolts, but I know I don't need to right now. I get the same discount at work as our Wholesale customers do (40%, on everything for us, some wholesale discounts are only 30%, but very few, namely some notions). Someday I wouldn't mind doing full bolts... but I also know I can't afford it... yet.

I've been organizing my fabric... I had hoped to get it all on the IKEA shelves behind my office door... HAH!!! I still have four large boxes of fabric in the walk in closest... not to mention one of fleece under my cutting table, and two small boxes tucked under my sewing machine desk... that's what I get for working in a fabric store for over two years...

Off to sew one more stuffed critter for Christmas... then maybe make some sellable stuff... I keep saying I'm gonna do that, but I have the next two days off... plus Christmas (but will probably going to a friend's house that day, if i can get out of my parking lot without hitting anything)

Amanda

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is really cute! I love the fabric. I have an unhealthy need for Christmas fabric. I usually go after Christmas when it is on clarance and buy 3-5 yards of what I like and then never use it. I have an entire dresser that is just Christmas fabric. I keep telling my self I am going to make a quilt, but I can't bring myself to use any of it.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to find out from Rhonda how much fabric she needs to make a hat. She'll make them either out of fabric she already has, or fabric that is provided for her. I normally just wear the disposable webby/paper hats the the hospital supplies. I've never worn a fabric hat. I'd love to have one made from that fabric, though...it might make me a convert! The fabric hats are about the only way to express your individuality in the operating room. Everything else is hospital issue.