I feel terrible and only my fellow cat lovers can understand....please help...

cosmiccosmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I adopted the absolute most gorgeous medium haired orange kitty almost 1 month ago. He is now 4pds..appx 3-4months old. Plays with my 2 yr old cat all the time..they follow each other around, sleep together, etc...he even stopped hissing at my Golden Retreiver. My son who has Aspergers has bonded with him in an unbelievalbe way due to the fact that this kitten is like a live stuffed animal. He loves to cuddle!!! I swear I never saw anything like it in my life. He rarely lets me do chores due to the fact that he wants to lay on me. He will fall asleep on my chest and we will lay face to face. He is awsome!! OK, so here is the problem...
Last week, he had a boo boo on his ear...my vet and i both thought from climbing the Christmas tree. She gave me animax (antibiotic) and the cone. She did take a ringworm culture. She said she really doubted he had it since nothing showed with the light and it didnt look like it. Well, today they called and said the culture tested positive for ringworm!! I am distraught!! I know people think I am ridiculous but I dont know how I am going to isolate him... He is so used to following me around all the time and being with my son and cuddling. How is going to stay in a room alone after being here a month already? Also my house is big...3500 sq ft. How in the heck am I going to santize my whole house ? Leather couches,,,closets...etc...??? I am already washing bed covers and all but how do I sanitize all the different surfaces. I cant exactly put bleach on wood furniture and leather!! Any suggestions?? Do those hand held steamers work?? Any advice would be appreciated. My sons are going to be so SAD and UPSET when they get home from school today especially 3 days before Christmas....Leo, my kitty has SOOOOO helped my son....Any speedy way of dealing with this??? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.....THANKS TO ALL AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! The hand held steamers do work but I'd be careful using them on leather. As with anything try to find a small unseen area that you can test it on. It's going to be hard on your whole family but your doing what's best too. I hope they didn't spread and that this goes as smoothly as possible.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you really have to sanitize everything? I thought a human can only get ringworm by ingesting eggs...That's crazy I'm sorry you have to go through this and sorry I don't have much advice..

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Wow you really have to sanitize everything? I thought a human can only get ringworm by ingesting eggs...That's crazy I'm sorry you have to go through this and sorry I don't have much advice..
Ringworm is not an actual worm - it's a fungus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cosmiccosmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah, unfortunately from what i have read here and what the vet said, the "spores" live for a very long time and are resistant to almost everything due to it being a fungus. Ringworm is spread by contact and is spread across all species. I work nights and am trying to get everything done before Christmas since I work tomorrow night and Christmas Eve. Now this...ahhh...it seems an impossible task..and then isolating my kitty when he has had free roam for 1 month and is attached at the hip to us? I dont' know what I am going to do....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I had ringworm in my kitties, I put sheets on all the furniture & washed them in hot water often. The carpet was vacuumed & cleaned often also.

Truthfully, since I did enough cleaning, I didn't keep Damita isolated. But she had ringworm so many times that it didn't matter anymore. However, having a young child, isolation might be best.

Ringworm can & will spread to people, cats, & dogs. So be prepared to have to treat the other animals as well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of mine have had ringworm in the past. i never got it, tho - even tho i didn't abstain from snuggling with them, & didn't confine them. none of the other cats got it, either.
Pixel's was just a small spot, i treated w/a topical ointment.
sometime later, i got Firefox [like months later]. Firefox had some other skin issues, along w/the ringworm, so she had a special shampoo as well as the ointment.
it's my understanding that people/pets w/compromised immune systems are more susceptible to contracting it from another.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently dealing with it as well. Neither of my children have gotten it and they've played with Kizzy alot.

A quote from my post about it:

Originally Posted by twokatz

There is a product I have posted about before that you can use on surfaces that you can't use bleach on and it lasts for 30 days I do believe, which cuts down a bunch on the work. I put it in laundry, spray couches, mattress, shampoo carpet,etc. It is Healthguard Laundry additive and disinfectant and you order it from Revival Animal Health. It will not harm the animals or people.
Ringworm needs the hair shaft to grow and spread so it also helps if the vet shaves the area where the sores are and watch with a black light any new lesions so those can be trimmed. Some vets shave the whold cat but unless it is severe I wouldn't do that. Mine are Persians and they did just fine with only the sores shaved. You are doing all the right things but it is very contagious and can live in the environment for up to two years so IMO you should keep up with the cleaning and isolation.
Hopefully you can pick up this stuff and it will ease the workload.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geronimo got ringworm once, but neither my s/o or I caught it, and none of the other cats did, either. And Geronimo slept right by my head all the time, and also cuddled with me and the other cats, too. I treated him for it, and it never came back.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I lived through ringworm without isolation. It sounds like you are taking care of it before it has gotten very far. I used the laundry additive from Revival Animal Products also. You can mix this solution in water and spray it on most surfaces. I used a spray bottle and a clean, unused garden sprayer. The effect is residual so it keeps the ringworm from spreading.
http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p...infectant.aspx

I used this spray below directly on my kittens and I believe it helped tremendously.
http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p...ted-Spray.aspx

The label states it is safe for kittens over 6 weeks. It has a residual protection. This greatly reduces the chance of spreading the spores. You can spray it on the non-affected animals as a protective measure.

My personal choice was not to isolate or refrain from affection. I took the standard cleaning, vacuuming and disinfecting with the above products. Nothing dramatic. My opinion was that if I or a family member got ringworm then we would treat it and not let it be a big deal. My vet made it sound like I had no choice and I understand his position. My personal choice.

I understand how you must feel with your son. My daughter did home therapy for an autistic child who had a brother with Asperger's Syndrome after she got her masters degree. She often talked about the relationship with animals being strong. It's on a different level.

My house is large also (3800 sf) and I sprayed lightly the Healthguard solution from a garden sprayer once every two weeks for three times, I think. I tried to be smart controlling the ringworm and NOT the cat. This was my personal choice. We made it fine and without the isolation.

Read about the kitten spray and the Healthgaurd. Do what you feel comfortable with to get through. Best of luck to you and your family.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Geronimo got ringworm once, but neither my s/o or I caught it, and none of the other cats did, either. And Geronimo slept right by my head all the time, and also cuddled with me and the other cats, too. I treated him for it, and it never came back.
Same here. Several years ago one of my cats had it on his ears. I was told by the vet to put a cream on it. I don't recall him mentioning isolation - I had two other cats at the time, 3 kids, a husband, and 3 children I provided child care for. Nobody got it. I definitely was never told to sanitize my house like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cosmiccosmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just went upstairs in the "isolation" room where my son set up a TV and a cat sitters dvd for him. I can't do this....I dont know what to do. I went up there and all he did was rub all over me. I went to lie down on the floor with him and he immediately jumped up and was laying on my chest and put his head down and looking straight into my eyes. I cried the entire time and can't stop....I walked out of the room and he hasn't stopped meowing....the sadness is overwhelming me...I feel horrible...the affection from this kitty is crazy unbelievable..one of the few things at this point in my life that bring me joy...and it is taken away from me. However I am afraid to let him run around for fear of my kids, and other animals catching it....I am soooo upset and feel helpless...how can I do this for 6-8 weeks??????

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, I'd just let him run in the house. Kids have already been exposed, as have the other animals. Talk to your vet about the risks & asses it.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

IMO, I'd just let him run in the house. Kids have already been exposed, as have the other animals. Talk to your vet about the risks & asses it.
IMO, it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep your house and family from exposure to ringworm by isolating the kitten.

Thought: the spores are airborne. No way to keep air from circulating.

Thought: the clothes you wear in the room with the kitten, or for that matter in the house, has the ringworm spores on them. Probably on your skin and the bottom of your shoes. It is already everywhere.

Everyone has been exposed in every way. I don't understand why vets instill such panic. I know they are doing their job, but how many here have posted that they did not isolate or "disinfect" the environment.

Ringworm is mostly (according to veterinary articles) in kittens because their immune system is not as strong as adults. Our vet said he had never seen ringworm in a healthy adult cat. This is obviously stressing you AND the kitten. The stress will also make the ringworm worse.

This is my experience and opinion, although many here seem to have the same experience as I.

If your family gets ringworm, a topical antifungal cream will do the trick. Many use athletes foot cream. Same ingredients used.

Please, take a step back and talk to you vet again. Or just do what most of us here have done and do the best you can. Ringworm is not fatal to your cat or family. And it will go away. So sorry and hope things are better.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am dealing with Ringworm as well... I am not disinfecting the house, and Lucky has slept with me since she got here, almost 2 months ago... I didn't catch it... I was going to let it run its course, but decided to treat it with an ointment... No way I am isolating her.... If I get it, no big deal - it is actually really easy to treat with lamisil... or miconazole...
PS: IMO People tend to over react to this big time! It is not a terminal disease... on the least! It is just a skin fungus! Try to talk to your vet about the real chances of getting it - if you haven't gotten by 2 weeks of contact with your cats, chances are you are not going to get it... Good Luck!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call the vet again, and also your pediatrician and maybe your own doctor. I've had ringworm myself (and didn't realize it for quite a while!) before I had cats. My internist gave me some ointment, and while it did take a while, it cleared up fine - it really sounds much worse than it is. And, gee, he didn't tell me to disinfect the entire house.

I don't know if isolation is really going to be all that necessary, especially in view of the bonding between your son and the kitten. Why not see if your human doctors feel the risk/reward equation warrants you just learning what to look for on the humans, and just go with a good housecleaning.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I really don't think you need to worry about it so much. As I already mentioned (and so have others) none of my other cats caught Geronimo's ringworm, and neither did me or my s/o - and we never locked him up in isolation. No one ever told me I needed to sanitize my house, either - and we still never caught it - and that happened over two years ago now.

I understand the concern for your kids and all, but everyone's already been exposed. I think they would have caught the ringworm by now and you would have noticed it. You may want to contact your physician to see if he/she can prescribe something for you & the kids "just in case".

Originally Posted by CosmicCosmo

I just went upstairs in the "isolation" room where my son set up a TV and a cat sitters dvd for him. I can't do this....I dont know what to do. I went up there and all he did was rub all over me. I went to lie down on the floor with him and he immediately jumped up and was laying on my chest and put his head down and looking straight into my eyes. I cried the entire time and can't stop....I walked out of the room and he hasn't stopped meowing....the sadness is overwhelming me...I feel horrible...the affection from this kitty is crazy unbelievable..one of the few things at this point in my life that bring me joy...and it is taken away from me. However I am afraid to let him run around for fear of my kids, and other animals catching it....I am soooo upset and feel helpless...how can I do this for 6-8 weeks??????
I understand how you're feeling there, too. When Cassidy was being a little poop (no pun intended) and not using the litterbox, most everyone recommended keeping her in confinement till she decided to use the litterbox instead of going wherever she wanted. I just didn't have the heart to keep her locked up like that - especially when the rest of the cats had the run of the house and they would "taunt" her underneath the door. So I just grinned & beared it, and cleaned up her messes. She almost always uses the litterbox now, and only occasionally will I have to clean up one of her messes.

I really do think you'll be okay if you don't keep your baby locked up.
But I'm not in your shoes and can't make that decision for you. You have to do what you think is best for everyone concerned.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I had a cat that wanted that desperately to be with me, there is NO WAY I'd isolate it. For 6-8 weeks? Are you kidding? This kitty's affliction is not life-threatening, as far as I know. Again I repeat my own as well as many of the above sentiments: it's not likely anyone else, cat or kid, will catch this. A cat this obviously in need of love will be nuts in six weeks. My opinion is, free the poor kitty!