Something I never thought I'd see!

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Harley decided for some reason she was going to let my son get close to her. Usually, this doesn't happen; he runs after her to try to be her friend, and she darts under the furniture. Needless to say, my poor son gets frustrated. He'll only be 4 next month and doesn't quite yet understand that chasing the cat doesn't get any results.

Yesterday, I gave him a couple of treats (even those usually don't work) and lo and behold....

I could only get one picture before the two of them got too wiggly.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome!!!!

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a wonderful friendship between your son and Harley

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope so! She even strolled past the couch last night and let him touch her, which is completely unheard of! I've been letting him feed her in hopes that it'll make her associate him with something good instead of just something fast-moving that she needs to look out for!

My son was very attached to our last cat, Snickers (RIP
), who'd let him sit next to him, squeeze him, etc. He was very upset when I had to have Snickers pts, and he was so excited when I brought Harley home. I think he just wants to be Harley's friend. Harley, however, still has to think about it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley is working on cat time, and your son is working on preschooler time! Unfortunately, the two don't sync up!

I think Harley will come around. She may not have experienced little children before... and she'll learn that he means well. Good idea about the food and treats.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Harley is working on cat time, and your son is working on preschooler time! Unfortunately, the two don't sync up!
I don't think anyone except preschoolers are working on preschooler time!

I try to tell him that Harley isn't a dog, and she isn't our other cat, and that she'll come to him when she's ready to. Like any other preschooler, usually I'll just get the reply of "Mommy, when can she sit in my lap?"

Originally Posted by AddieBee

I think Harley will come around. She may not have experienced little children before... and she'll learn that he means well. Good idea about the food and treats.
The woman I got her from swore up and down that she'd been around children. (Then again, she told me a lot of things that I don't quite believe.) Personally, I don't think she's ever been around small children. And little kids are a lot to take in for any animal! She's way more tolerant of all the assorted noises/movement than she was in October, though. So I definitely give it some time. Who knows....I might come in the living room and find them on the couch together one day.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing the right thing, take it slow, let him give her treats/food and teach him that kitty needs time...looks like a great start

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

I hope so! She even strolled past the couch last night and let him touch her, which is completely unheard of! I've been letting him feed her in hopes that it'll make her associate him with something good instead of just something fast-moving that she needs to look out for!

My son was very attached to our last cat, Snickers (RIP
), who'd let him sit next to him, squeeze him, etc. He was very upset when I had to have Snickers pts, and he was so excited when I brought Harley home. I think he just wants to be Harley's friend. Harley, however, still has to think about it.
Yep, the memory span of the preschool age. Your son seems to be doing very well with Harley though, very patient and loving. She will come around. The bonds that take the longest to make are usually the ones that last and are the best is what I've found

You definately have to keep reinforcing the running, hard to do with a 4yr old boy, but that scares Harley and it wouldn't be good to keep giving him mixed messages (one min your son is feeding, giving treats, next he's scaring her). Keep up with the feeding and treats.... if Harley has a spot she sleeps regularly, try putting one of your sons shirts in that spot with her so she can get used to his scent.

Remind your son that to the kitty, he is a GIANT scary monster, and even scarier when he runs.... Looking at it that way might change the way he thinks a little bit.

just a few thoughts... I hope Harley learns to trust your son
It sounds like he will, just in time.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

You definately have to keep reinforcing the running, hard to do with a 4yr old boy, but that scares Harley and it wouldn't be good to keep giving him mixed messages (one min your son is feeding, giving treats, next he's scaring her).
Oh, I'm constantly telling him not to chase her (which he hasn't been) because he'll scare her. In fact, he's always apologizing to Harley if he scares her away. Too cute.

I did mention how he might look like a scary monster to her when he tries too hard to get near her, and he had a look on his face like that rang a bell somewhere. He does try really hard to walk slowly towards her (well, as hard as a little boy can), she's just not too sure about what to think of him.

I think they'll be ok, though. It took Harley until two weeks ago to climb up in my hubby's lap, and since he works nights, he's really not home to interact with her all that much.