TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Guilty for giving "fluids"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guilty for giving "fluids"

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I almost lost one of my purebred Ragdolls 2 weeks ago......a long story short......She got all her modifications from the vet. She is on maintenance program right now. The vet wants me to give her 200ml of IV fluid 2 times a week. Lita absolutely hates this treatment as it is put in her back to hydrate her kidneys I know that it hurts her to receive it. How can I get past this in my own mind? I have been giving her the treatment myself recently
post #2 of 13
I would just keep telling myself that I am only doing this for the cat's well being. Think of what might be worse if you didn't give the fluids.

My two cents.
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls View Post
The vet wants me to give her 200ml of IV fluid 2 times a week. Lita absolutely hates this treatment as it is put in her back to hydrate her kidneys I know that it hurts her to receive it. How can I get past this in my own mind? I have been giving her the treatment myself recently

KNOW that what you are doing is helping her....yes it hurts, but in the long run that temporary hurt does not even begin to compare to how much GOOD you are doing for her.

Just keep thinking to yourself the reasons why she is getting this treatment... to make her better. You are doing the right thing
You love your baby, so of course you will feel bad for causing her pain. I'd worry if you didn't feel bad.

How long do you have to do this?
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
KNOW that what you are doing is helping her....yes it hurts, but in the long run that temporary hurt does not even begin to compare to how much GOOD you are doing for her.

Just keep thinking to yourself the reasons why she is getting this treatment... to make her better. You are doing the right thing
You love your baby, so of course you will feel bad for causing her pain. I'd worry if you didn't feel bad.

How long do you have to do this?
Thanks.......I just "stuck" her behind her neck and did the dirty deed...........SHE HATES ME BIGTIME............
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls View Post
Thanks.......I just "stuck" her behind her neck and did the dirty deed...........SHE HATES ME BIGTIME............



At least its only 2x a week now, and not every day. I'm sure she forgives you...she knows you're trying to help her.
post #6 of 13
it's going to be over soon... I am sure Lita is going to be all clear of this whole thing soon. Get better little Lita!!
post #7 of 13
I am so sorry that Lita is giving you troubles about her fluids.

One thing I am very curious about is if your vet instructed you to warm her fluids before giving.

I have to give Zoe, my CRF kitty, fluids everyday. she is very particular, colder than 102 degrees and she will scream, growl and try to bite.

Warmed up to 103-103.5 F she purrs and kneads her feet.

Another friend of mine just started having to give fluids and she said her cats just hated it. I told her to check the temp and she said she had it warm enough. Well she didn't. A few days later she called and said she tried making the fluids a little warmer and her cats are fine now.

If you go up to the CRF sticky at the top there are some good links. or do a internet search for how to give fluids and you will get lots of pointers that might make things better for Lita.

Make sure you give her a safe treat afterwords.

Believe me, she doesn't hate you. My Zoe knows those fluids make her feel better.

Good luck and I hope Lita is better soon.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymonsters View Post
I am so sorry that Lita is giving you troubles about her fluids.

One thing I am very curious about is if your vet instructed you to warm her fluids before giving.

I have to give Zoe, my CRF kitty, fluids everyday. she is very particular, colder than 102 degrees and she will scream, growl and try to bite.

Warmed up to 103-103.5 F she purrs and kneads her feet.

Another friend of mine just started having to give fluids and she said her cats just hated it. I told her to check the temp and she said she had it warm enough. Well she didn't. A few days later she called and said she tried making the fluids a little warmer and her cats are fine now.

If you go up to the CRF sticky at the top there are some good links. or do a internet search for how to give fluids and you will get lots of pointers that might make things better for Lita.

Make sure you give her a safe treat afterwords.

Believe me, she doesn't hate you. My Zoe knows those fluids make her feel better.

Good luck and I hope Lita is better soon.
YOU HAVE A GREAT IDEA........how would I heat the fluids? I thought about my microwave oven? Lita is pretty happy today but she is starting to hide in the basement alone again in the dark over the last 2 days She appears to be fine once I bring her back up to my family room. She is more aloof than before over this time.....so I am watching her very closely more than before
post #9 of 13
I happen to give fluids to mine in my bathroom - I hang the bag on the shower curtain rod and sit on the floor with Muddy. I fill the sink with warm water and lay the bag in there until it warms up slightly warmer than my body temperature. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes to warm it up. I don't bring Muddy into the room until the bag is ready to go.

Warming the fluid to their body temperature makes a huge difference. I know cats who, when they realize that the fluids make them feel better, actually lay down quietly and purr the entire time.

I know its scary to do this, but you are saving their life. Repeat that to yourself every time you do it.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I happen to give fluids to mine in my bathroom - I hang the bag on the shower curtain rod and sit on the floor with Muddy. I fill the sink with warm water and lay the bag in there until it warms up slightly warmer than my body temperature. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes to warm it up. I don't bring Muddy into the room until the bag is ready to go.

Warming the fluid to their body temperature makes a huge difference. I know cats who, when they realize that the fluids make them feel better, actually lay down quietly and purr the entire time.

I know its scary to do this, but you are saving their life. Repeat that to yourself every time you do it.
Thank you for your response "Momofmany" .......how do you monitor and decide if the temperature is right for the kitty? Thanks!
post #11 of 13
Like momofmany I too give Zoe her fluids in the bathroom. I warm in the sink. I always run the fluids out until they get warm on my wrist, like testing a baby bottle.

If you are unsure the first few times, lay the heated fluid bag so it surrounds a digital thermometer and you want to shoot for a reading between 102 and 103. This will feel nicely warm to you. Remember any part of the fluids in the tubing that is not in the water to warm, will be cold. Run all that out first.

I good detailed read on it is here
http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weir.../catjuice.html


I think you will find that Lita is much more comfortable once the fluids are warmed to her body temperature.

Never put them in the microwave the plastic in the tubing will melt.

that things are going better and Lita turns into a "purrer" when she gets her fluids.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymonsters View Post
Like momofmany I too give Zoe her fluids in the bathroom. I warm in the sink. I always run the fluids out until they get warm on my wrist, like testing a baby bottle.

If you are unsure the first few times, lay the heated fluid bag so it surrounds a digital thermometer and you want to shoot for a reading between 102 and 103. This will feel nicely warm to you. Remember any part of the fluids in the tubing that is not in the water to warm, will be cold. Run all that out first.

I good detailed read on it is here
http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weir.../catjuice.html


I think you will find that Lita is much more comfortable once the fluids are warmed to her body temperature.

Never put them in the microwave the plastic in the tubing will melt.

that things are going better and Lita turns into a "purrer" when she gets her fluids.
You are the sweetest women in the world Both Lita and myself really appreciate your advice.....
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls View Post
You are the sweetest women in the world Both Lita and myself really appreciate your advice.....
When I first had to do sub-q's on my CRF boy, I'd drink about half a glass of wine to calm my nerves first. Not enough to do anything stupid, just enough to relax a little bit. If you are tense, your cat will be tense. I switched over to a calming mantra in my head after a short while in place of the wine. Any method you use to calm yourself will work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Guilty for giving "fluids"