This is just FYI ... Antibiotics

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having talked to a number of folks who are in other areas of the country or the world. I have realized that first and second line antibiotics seem to differ by region ...

around here most vets reach for clavamox or amoxicillin first for URI and UTI s ... Out of curiosity what is used in your area and state where you are

I am in the inland northwest Usa

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For my vet, it seems to be Amoxicillin first, and Clavamox second.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amoxicillian is Dr Stupid's first choice, Clavamox 2nd.

Any other vet prescribes Clavamox first. If a UTI Orbax is 2nd choice, if URI Baytril is the 2nd choice.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clavaseptin (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid chewable tablets) for URI. (same thing as Clavamox)
ON. Canada.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here in Greece -

URI - 1st - Ronaxan - Doxycycline
2nd - Baytril
3rd - Marbocyn - Marbofloxacin (in my opinion better than baytril)
4th - Synulox - Amoxicillin Trihydrate
5th - Draxin - Tulathromycin - only one injection
(I know is for cows but it helped 2 cats here)

I also give them Bisolvon powder, a little daily

UTI - I do not remember because I had it only once (touch wood), either Baytril or Synulox

Clamavox does not exist here.. what is the active ingredient?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most common ab's in the UK are synulox/clavaseptin, followed by Baytril. Antirobe for dental issues, although some vets give the 2 week injection for everything, even though it has only been proved effective in a few things.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Most common ab's in the UK are synulox/clavaseptin, followed by Baytril. Antirobe for dental issues, although some vets give the 2 week injection for everything, even though it has only been proved effective in a few things.
They use an injection here as well, for skin issues and dental issues is called Convenia, I must say that is good for preventing infections in spayed/neutered cats, sometimes dental issues, took one stray that had problems eating and did not help, other did
I do not think it would do any good in URI's though

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the same injection as over here, although it has done nothing for poor Sam, his mouth is still a mess. So he is now on Antirobe

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Clavamox is the one we've had most here (Eastern Ontario) although I had one vet in Toronto give amoxicillan.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took Stimpy in for a severe bout of chin acne a few months ago, the Convenia shot was our vet's first choice. I'm in Southwestern Wisconsin. I know most of the other clinics around here are big on Clavamox as the first choice for everything. I liked the Convenia shot better--Stimpy is a bear to give liquid meds to and I've had cats develop intolerance to Clavamox before.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only been prescribed Clavamox once when Porcelain was sick with limping Calici from her vaccination. I have been prescribed Clindamycin the most for tissue infections. It really depends on the type of infection. I have been prescribed a few others as well.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amoxicillin, always, in Texas, Massachusetts, California, and here in B.C. The only time one of our kitties got Clavamox was when Lily had a bad reaction to vaccinations (we think that's what it was).

Oberon always loved the cherry flavored amoxicillin, when we had it mixed at a compounding pharmacy and chose tuna flavor, he hated it, lol, so we didn't ever do that again.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before Chynna's surgery they sent me home with Amoxicillin capsules. After her surgery I they gave me something I could inject subcut because her mouth was very sore, not to mention that I have a hard time giving pills to a cat.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get Clindamyacin (sp?) for my cats, Clav and amox don't really seem to do much for them (FeLV cats)