Single cat in 750Sq Feet?

stevekukla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am a single guy and love pets, so I'm somewhat concerned about the idea of having a cat in what "seems to be" a small space. Thus, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the idea of having a cat in an apartment of appx 750sq feet. It has nice high ceilings and is fairly open...

Would it make a difference if it was a fairly small breed, like a singapura? Would it be better to have a more active or less active breed in a space this size? Would it be all the more important to have plenty of toys for the cat to play with while I'm at work all day?

Any other suggestions relative to my problem would also be appreciated, I am a potential first time cat owner

Steve K

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat or even two I would say would fit nicely....

Make sure to get things to climb on like scratching posts with perches

Welcome to TCS Steve

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't want to rain on your parade, Steve but, I had a very bad experience as a first time cat owner in a teeny, tiny studio apt. in Chicago. I worked all day also and poor kitty was terribly bored and by himself all day. He started to dash outside the apt. everytime I opened up the door to the hallway. Then he started attacking my feet everytime I got up from the bed or chair. Then he started to attack my head from the back of the chair and all his claws were extended as he dug into my scalp. It got so bad I was actually starting to be afraid of him & eventually I re-homed him.

I would advise you NOT to get a kitten as they need lots of attention & playtime. I would opt for an older cat from a shelter, if anything. A new cat needs toys, a window seat and/or a ceiling high cat tree in front of or very close to a window.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey Steve!!

I have 2 cats in a one bedroom apartment that is smaller then yours! (720 Sq feet) And they are both happy!! Just provide someplace for your cat to sleep.

When I moved in Moo was already almost 2 but I got a tiny kitten a month after moving and she is wonderful! She keeps moo busy during the day and I would advise keeping your doors open so they can run...my cats run all around the apartment since i Have an open floor plan and I know moo is much happier here then being with me at my mom's house (no big dog to bother him)

I would provide alot of toys and what i did since my apartment doesnt have very big window sills is I moved a small dresser infront of the window (fits perfectly) and placed the 2 cat beds on it....that way they can look out the window from the comfort of their beds...I can't get them out of them sometimes!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You can use that vertical space, e.g., by getting one or two ceiling-high cat trees, making a "catwalk" out of shelving, adding window perches, and/or arranging furniture so that the cat can get on top of cabinets, the fridge, a bookcase, etc..

The size of the cat shouldn't make a difference. Persians are fairly large cats, but are known as couch potatoes, while Siamese are daintier, but very active. Check out the local shelters/rescues - they should be able to find the right "fit" for you. You might consider getting a pair to keep each other occupied.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a two bedroom, two bathroom condo with about 875 livable space (they don't count hallways) and two cats and we're all fine. As long as you provide a few levels for kitty to move around to, like cat trees, and maybe some nice perches near windows to look out, I think you'd be good (I'm assuming kitty will get pretty much full run of your place?)

Singapuras are pretty active, from what I've read - you may consider getting two kitties to keep each other company when you're at work. I would also suggest considering a somewhat older cat or cats to avoid the kitten crazies, especially if you're working outside the home full time, like me. I would also suggest looking hard at your schedule to make sure you would have time, even 10-15 minutes, morning and evening to brush and play with your baby, besides the normal petting, feeding, and cleaning you'll do. BTW, litter box duty isn't that bad - but I'd plan on scooping morning and evening. Yes, kitty will take up some time, but honestly, you'll feel so rewarded.

But, feel free to ask either your breeder or your shelter all of these questions as you begin your search. Or, I always suggest checking out potential vets before getting your kitty - you can certainly ask the vet the same sort of questions. BTW, your local library will probably have a few books re cats - cats for dummies was very useful to me when I became a first time meowmy a few years ago. Also, I swear every library has at least one or two staff or love cats - they'll be happy to help your research! And, my local Petsmart staff was very helpful regarding new pet needs, even giving me estimates of average vet costs that tend to be incurred annually. My Petsmart manager did keep telling me not to worry about buying a kitty bed - and she was right! Mine prefer my sofa and/or my queen bed to the kitty beds I eventually bought.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would guess our apartment is about that size and our two kittens do very well. It's a basement, so we have low ceilings to boot. They don't seem to mind.

I would always recommend 2 cats if you can afford it so that they can keep each other company. I never really worry about them being lonely or bored when I'm at work because they have each other.

We have large windows with deep sills, and they have access to all 5 of them (well, they figured out ways to get there even if we didn't provide access).

Mine have issues with our apartment door. They always try to get out to the laundry/spare room when we open the door. However, they are terrified of outside and run back in the apartment as soon as they hear the outer door opening. I think it's moreso them wanting to explore unknown territory rather than them not having enough space inside the apartment. They still run into the closet everytime I open the door - just because it's someplace they don't always have access to.

As someone else said, it doesn't seem to matter to the cat how much space they have - it's all about the vertical space. Mine tend to explore up, more than around. However, even when they decide it's time to run around like crazy cats, they have more than enough space in our very furnished living room.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
umm.... i have 5, in 927 square feet! i do have 1 really tall tree [almost to the ceiling] as well as a couple of shorter ones - mine seem happy!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three cats and I live in a travel trailer.
As long as a cat has room to play and room to hide or climb if it wants to be left alone, you have enough room.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got my two boys, we lived in a 600 sq. ft. apartment, and that was plenty of room for them to run around and play and be quite happy. The hardest part was probably just finding a decent place for the litterbox to go.

I second the tip to get two - they will keep each other happy and entertained when you're not around. One cat alone can go stir crazy by itself! Two really isn't that much more expensive to care for than one, excepting only vet bills.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had a couple of truckers on this site with even less space and they had cats with them. Besides Arlyn, we have LDG who lives with hubby and several cats in a motor home and Katiemae1277 who lives in a mobile home, several cats and a dog!

It can be done.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The suggestion was made to get two cats, but I have another suggestion. If you're worried about lack of space and wish to only get one cat, and adopt, consider looking for a cat that's great with people but doesn't get along with other cats so well. Cats like this may get passed over in shelters by those looking for a companion to a cat they may already have.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it really 750 square feet? That's a pretty good sized apartment... and huge for a studio. The one-bedroom apartments where I live are smaller than that, and still quite roomy. So no worries.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had 3 in much less than that. As long as you provide vertical space as others have suggested, you should be fine. Even when we couldn't afford cat forts, we used our shelves and dressers and stacked storage rubbermaids to provide ledges for the cats. At one point we had a 6 ft bookshelf, next to a 4 ft one so they could go all the way up top and look over the room.

Now we have 3 again, but in 960 sq ft. As other posters have mentioned, the hardest part of small places is figuring out litter box location.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I say it can be done....consider adding cat furniture to add vertical space. However - please adopt a calmer adult cat. Kittens have soooo much energy & can get into a lot of trouble if bored. While adult cats are often looked over. Probably 80% of the cat population of adoptables at the shelter here where I volunteer is 2-5 years old.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Now we have 3 again, but in 960 sq ft. As other posters have mentioned, the hardest part of small places is figuring out litter box location.
I have two litter boxes in my tiny apartment and I am going to suggested don't be afraid to be creative when it comes to placement!! Visitors to my apartment can always find one of my two boxes (one is in the bathroom) but are stumped where i put the other (wedged between two bookcases in the part of the dining room I never use) and the cats LOVE that box (I put it on its own mat so the litter wont track though the place and it saves the carpet)

Also someone mentioned that aside from the vet bill it really doesn't cost that much more to take care of 2 cats...I will have to agree with that! BUT once you find a vet you like you might want to ask if you can bring in the cats together. I do and he usually only charges me for ONE office visit instead of two seperate for each cat.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it's already an avalanche of "that's plenty of space", but I just looked up my apartment's square footage: I've got 665 sq feet, and that's plenty of space for my two cats. I don't have a cat tree, I just have an old chair with a large space on the back by the window, and I allow them to climb all over what little furniture I have.

If you take the advice to get two cats, the most important thing to have in a small apartment is a door between two livable spaces so you can keep them separate during introductions. Really, as long as you've got a bathroom with a door, that should be enough.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
plenty plenty plenty!!!!!
I don't think my apartment is even that big - small 1 bedroom.... I can easily adopt one more (or 2), but I'll be moving to LA soon, and want to get it only when I am settled...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ella, our Katrina cat, lived for most of three years in a cage. Is that good? No. But she was healthy and reasonably happy.

On the other hand, once we brought her home to foster, my wife said there was no way she was going back in that cage.