Who here is working over Christmas?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone is working over Christmas and the New Year and what you are doing? Do you mind doing it?

Our boss is away for 2 weeks so we have to work but we would have had to anyway. Luckily Christmas day and Boxing day we only have to do a couple of hours. I shall be cleaning up and helping prepare the food.

I have my fingers crossed that our boss will do the new year so we can get a day off!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am working a 6 hour shift on Christmas Eve, 2-9pm. Christmas Day is a 12 hour shift 8-8pm
and I have Boxing Day off.

I will be celebrating my Christmas on Boxing Day when I go to my sister's for the day to open presents...it's going to feel strange

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We get Christmas Day and Boxing Day off here every year and they usually let us off around noon on Christmas Eve day. Same at New Year's - 1/2 day NY Eve and full day off for New Years day.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately, our store does close on Christmas Day... one of the few days a year we do... but we're open the day before... and will be open bright and early the 26th. I know some retail I've had to work Christmas Day... but my current store is really nice... family run.

Amanda

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm working at 6 a.m. on Christmas Eve, and if we're not busy, I'm going to see about leaving at noon or 1 p.m. I don't foresee we're going to be busy, and since the weather might be a bit lousy and we have to travel 2 hours, I want to leave as early as possible. But I do get the day after Christmas off, because I'm working Christmas Eve. I wouldn't want to work that day, because we'll probably be even slower then the Christmas Eve.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work Christmas Eve from 9:30-5:30, off Christmas day (we are closed) and work 11-3 on boxing day. I was supposed to work 9:30-5:30 but I needed to get off early so my boss changed my shift.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work Christmas day, but luckily only 3 and a half hours. Guess I've made a good impression on my boss because she let me pick my shift - so someone else gets to work the morning.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am off now until Jan 5th but I am not actually in the office until Jan 7th.

I am scheduled for lots of shelter shifts though, all day tomorrow and Tuesday then 5 hours on Saturday and 3 on Sunday plus I still have to get my director stuff done somewhere in between

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have off, as usual (school vacation), and DH actually has Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxig Day off for a change. He's got to work New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, though.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work Christmas Eve, then we get a week off!
It's the only time we're closed. I'm really looking forward to the break.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
nope - one of the perks of teaching is the long breaks - i don't go back until 1/5.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

nope - one of the perks of teaching is the long breaks - i don't go back until 1/5.
Same here!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't sure of my schedule until last night. When you're one of Santa's elves (I work for Toys R Us), you shouldn't plan on having a lot of free time around Christmas!

I'm working Monday and Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday. Then I'm off until Sunday.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
working in a hospital there are no days we're closed but I did get very lucky this year.

i am off after tonight 3rd shift until Dec 26, 3rd shift.

then i have to work new years eve, but i don't mind really.

i am very happy to be off for Christmas!!

we are having my side of the family here on Christmas Day.

haven't had a place big enough for yearrrrs!

my turn now that I do.

hopefully all will be peaceful & calm.

ya never know with all my sisters.
6 sisters, 1 brother + all the neices, nephews, etc.....

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are discouraged from working Xmas day, but we can if we want. We get paid double time to work on a holiday. I will be at my parents' house in North Carolina starting after work on Xmas Eve, so I sure wont be working! I'm also not working New Years Day or the day after, so that'll be another nice 5 day weekend

We are definitely able to work either day though, because of how ridiculously busy we are right now. Which is strange, because we're usually slower than molasses in the winter.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work on Christmas Day. That's okay because at the shelter I get to love on the animals that have no home for the holidays.

celeste8540

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't work Christmas this year, or the day after! But I work the day before (which suuuucks, it's my birthday), and I really haven't had a day off except today recently. I'm gonna feel like a huge bum when January rolls around and one of my jobs won't need me as much.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually have vacation for the next 2 weeks, but DH gets pager duty for his company starting Monday for a week. Since he supports pharmacies, and some of those are hospital pharmacies, he'll end up working the entire week, day and night, including Christmas Eve and Christmas day. When his pager goes off at 1 AM, you bet that I wake up with him. We can't even plan a meal on his pager week.