Dry cats

rytontym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks

It's freezing here (the high is 4 today) and my cats seem to have very dry skin - lots of dandruff and static electricity. Is there anything I can do to help? Would a bath make it worse or better?

Thanks in advance.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rytontym

Hi folks

It's freezing here (the high is 4 today) and my cats seem to have very dry skin - lots of dandruff and static electricity. Is there anything I can do to help? Would a bath make it worse or better?

Thanks in advance.
I would think that a bath with a good moisturizing shampoo would help

Out of curiousity, is you home dry? We use a humidifier in our home in the winter months because it gets so dry that we end up with dry noses, and dry skin. A small humidifier might help too.

just food for thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rytontym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I'll see what the pet store has. Our house is dry, too, so the humidifier is also probably worth picking up.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rytontym

Thanks! I'll see what the pet store has. Our house is dry, too, so the humidifier is also probably worth picking up.
We use one every year.... I bought it on sale, definately worth the investment...for your home. I'm no expert, but I would think the increased humidty would be good for the kitty's skin too. Hopefully someone else can lend some thoughts on that one too.

Good luck, hope you are able to find a good shampoo to help.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's way cold here in Chicago too - I got a whole house humidifier last year, and it really helped my kitties' fur (and my skin!). Vet verified that the dandruff I had observed was due to dry air.

If you get a portable humidifer, please be religious about following the cleaning instructions. I learned the hard way that you can create a very interesting science experiment if you skip a cleaning or three.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've been running a humidifier, too, since it's so dry in our apartment with the heat on. It seems to help everyone, including the cat. Without it, it's miserable in here - dry noses, dry throats, and dry skin. I also open windows periodically, even when it's cold, and even if it's only for a few minutes.