Why are cats so compelled to sleep on your feet when you are sleeping?

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And they know when you are ready to go to sleep too, because they are sleeping too.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And I might add, why is that they gain about 20 pounds when they lay on top of your feet?

Mine actually lay on my calves, thighs, stomach and curled between my chest and arm. I can't move at night.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sabastian will sleep by our feet once in a while, if not there he loves to share my pillow with me and sleep by my head

Nipper loves to sleep right on my chest, sometimes in the middle of the night i wake up to an 18lb cat sleeping on my chest, and im too nice to kick him off, so ill pet him, talk to him for a bit and eventually he'll get down, sometimes he persistent tho and will keep jumping up on me to sleep. i think its adorable.

princess is still too young to figure out what shes going to do, but from what i can tell i think shes going to be a chest or face cuddler, sometimes she will come up on me and BF while we are on the couch and nuzzle right between our faces

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first get into bed Moose with either drape himself over my feet, or wedge in between my ankles or knees. When I've had enough, off he goes and he's been "trained" to stay away from my feet and he'll sleep by my head or under the covers next to me.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they prefer the feet because it's the closest proximity to you, while at the same time hardest for you to turn over in your sleep and disturb them ....

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish mine would sleep on my feet! Moo sleeps on my chest and Tilly Sleeps on my head

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've come to the conclusion that cats likes to sleep on our feet so they know where we are at all times and when we go in the kitchen they can ask for food.

They are smart cool animals.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Howard

I've come to the conclusion that cats likes to sleep on our feet so they know where we are at all times and when we go in the kitchen they can ask for food.

They are smart cool animals.
Moose has always been tactile; he will always have a paw or leg on or over me whenever he's close by.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish Kizzy would sleep at my feet or on my legs or best of all would be curled up against my belly when I'm on my side.....

BUT

He likes to sleep head to head, and hog the pillow
Of course, he doesn't just snuggle up, purr and sleep... he has to sniff me, pull my hair, nudge under my chin so my neck is in an awkward angle... and when he doesn't do the F2F, he sticks his butt in my face.

Tis a good thing I love him LOL.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cinnie sleeps on my chest she'll start out nose to nose then when she wants serious sleep she turns around and I have a butt in my face. Molasses stays along side of me and sleeps on my arm with his paw on my chest. Molly is in the crease of my knees. If I get a little antsy or restless they jump off and I can almost hear a little humph from them.