Do you have lights on your house for the holidays?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't but we enjoy seeing the ones around the city when we are out and about and usually set aside a night to drive around and look at them.

Every year, a guy who lives near me dresses his house up like something from the Griswolds. It is kind of a cult thing that everyone in the city braves the cold weather to go and see each year.
Here is his website : http://www.mpman.ca/christmas.htm (photos are still from last year)

and some videos I took with my camera, so not the best quality but you can see all the lights.

- his back garden (he allows people to walk back there to see them for a donation to a charity)

and closer shots of the front of the house
(this one is still processing and may not show)

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't, but probably would if we had the extra money to buy the stuff. I'm not putting up a tree this year, either, b/c it's just gonna be too much hassle having 8-month old kittens running around.
But I figure that by next year, they'll be "old" enough to behave themselves.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, those people need to get a life! glad i don't have their electric bill!
i don't decorate my house for any holidays - the cats don't care, & i don't host any holiday gatherings.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No
I wish we did. We just moved to our very first house and it doesn't have any outlets outside. We had an electrician over, who took a month to get here
and he wasn't friendly at all and wouldn't talk to me while he was here. I had asked him previously if he would put an outlet outside and when I tried to ask him he just kept walking
Whatever..... next year I'll have lights!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope - live in the country & no one will see 'em. Besides, I'm too lazy to want to put them up & down.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish!! One year I did put lights on our deck and some big red bows. And then some kids from the neighborhood started coming around and pulling random bulbs out on us. (and just dropped them there on the ground) So it's just not worth tempting the kids around here.

When I have a house, I plan on doing lights and things; but not going to any extremes with it. DH and I went through a nearby church's light show tonight and then we went through one of the ritzier neighborhoods to see what they had up. Some people really do beautiful jobs!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've got the lights and the hooks to string them up all around the house, just didn't have time to put them up this year. Also, in the past I've had my dad to help me but he is no longer able.
Maybe I can get them up on Monday if it's not too cold and wet.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it is too much of a PITA to put them up and take them down, especially here where it gets so cold. If we lived somewhere where it was warm in December we probably would, but right now it is -2 degrees outside, and there is no way I could get my husband out there to put lights up.

If we did have them up, we would only do a single strip of the big lights evenly spaced around the edge of the roof and that's it. We both agree that tons of lights and lights on bushes are tacky (no offense intended to people that have either of those, honestly). We just don't like them. We're purists.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I would decorate the outside with lights, my 2 reindeer, and these walkway stars....but lately, things haven't been so great, so I think I'm going to skip decorating the outside right now and just take it easy on myself, unless I change my mind. I did put up my reindeer wreath though if that counts.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We put lights up at our mums house, we started it years ago and now most of the street put lights up too

Each year we add a few new lights or decorations to the collection.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rob's parents put a strand across the front of the house - first time in the last 4 Xmas's I've been around! My mom goes all out. Not as much as the link in the first post though
When I lived in NJ, there was a house that had over 100,000 lights on it everyone would go to see. It was insane.

When our house is done, I'd like to put up some lights

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was one of the "others".
No lights, but I do put 1 electric candle in each window. It's decorative, but little enough to be comfy.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been drooling over some light on a neighbors house so one day Dh decided that he'd surpirse me and string up blue and white lights on the roof of the house! He also put out my Merry Christmas lights, but we never light them (look better off LOL) and I put up window clings, the glass tree that my grandpa gave me, and a fiber optic tree we got this year, along with a wreath on the door. He's such a sweetie!!!! I love him!!!
If it weren't for him, our house would be dark and boring this Xmas.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment without a balcony, but I do have lights strung along my windowsill. I keep them up all year and turn them on periodically just for the ambiance.

When I move next year I'm moving to a place with a balcony and I plan on planting some flowers in window boxes, and putting up lights on the railing. I've always wanted to do that!

My BFF parents had Christmas lights on their house all year long and they used to turn them on every single night, even in the summer because they were so pretty.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any outside, but I do have them inside around my front window. I am way up on the 3rd floor and although I could put them on my deck and around my door, no one would see them except for the people way across the river.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted "other" because I do have lights on my porch-- but they're orange Halloween lights. I was really depressed after Halloween (my dog died on Oct. 28th) and never got around to taking those down, and now they're covered in snow and ice so I am waiting for a thaw. I also have an orange-light Halloween tree in the front yard but as long as I don't light it up it looks like it could be a Christmas tree.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never put lights on our house. I had a couple of those spiral trees but the lights quit working on parts of one of them and I couldn't get them all back on again. Due to the early snows we didn't even get the wreath up on Neil's garage!!.
I do have 4 containers with mixed evergreens and red twig dogwood. My bench in front of the house with the watering cans are filled with greens too.
I used to put the electric candles in the windows facing the road but its a pain unplugging/plugging them all the time!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have some on the inside of my dining room window. They look pretty from outside.

I love seeing all those crazy houses were people have gone all-out to decorate, especially the ones combined with music. It seems there's quite a few people out there doing it these days.