Why the dinky little cans?

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing I've always wondered about wet cat food... Why is it that most of what you see at the pet and grocery store in 3-5.5 ounce cans, when most dog foods are usually sold in 13 ounce cans? I understand that most dogs are bigger than cats, but if you have more than one cat that all eat the same food, it makes more sense to buy bigger cans. I buy 13 ounce cans and go through one every two days.

My cats could both eat a 3 ounce can each in one sitting. I read somewhere that most of the cost of manufacturing food goes into the packaging, so wouldn't it make more economic sense to sell cat food in the larger cans? Yet all I see in most stores in 13 ounce cans is Friskies, and even that doesn't show up everywhere.

The local co-op sells EVO in 13 ounce cans for the dogs, and 5.5 ounce cans for the cats when I know for a fact that both are offered in both can sizes. I know that EVO is the same stuff just marketed differently, but still.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellness

California natural( double check as I use the dog in the salmon )

Nutro( only 2 cans I think)

Eagle pack

Felidea

all make the bigger cans in cat

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I share your frustration, since it's usually much more cost-effective to buy in the larger can sizes. The ONLY food we've found that agrees with Sprout is the Nature's Variety Instinct lamb formula; that food is only sold in 5.5oz cans for $1.79. I've switched my other cats back to Wellness because I can buy that in 12.5oz cans for $2.19. (I actually tried to go with the 13oz cans of Innova for $1.75, but the Raggie boys have apparently decided that is not good enough anymore!
)

A lot also depends on what an individual store chooses to stock. Look on the manufacturer's website and see if they offer the food in larger can sizes. If it's available from the manufacturer, you could ask your local store to order it for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know there are some companies that sell the larger cans too, but not all. And in the case where both sizes are offered, you're more likely to see the smaller cans in stores and not the larger. Just wondering why that is.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
most cats prefer smaller cans as they taste better ... and the % of mark up is way better for the retailer

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The "average" pet owner only feeds wet sparingly or as a treat.....therefore they only need the small cans. Most people don't have enough cats/feed enough wet to warrant buying a 13 oz can - therefore manufacturers don't make it as much/it's not as readily available.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

The "average" pet owner only feeds wet sparingly or as a treat.....therefore they only need the small cans. Most people don't have enough cats/feed enough wet to warrant buying a 13 oz can - therefore manufacturers don't make it as much/it's not as readily available.
...AND cats really don't like "leftovers" in my experience, so unless they are going to eat the whole can in one sitting, it often gets wasted anyways.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, most pet owners don't realize that they need to feed wet food, so if they do get it, it is usually as a treat, not an every day thing. Before I joined this forum I had NO clue that cats needed wet food. I thought you should avoid wet food as it would cause diarrhea. I don't think Gus ever once tasted wet food in his entire life. Milo has had it from the first day, and Nora started when she was 7 months old. They get about 1/2 wet and 1/2 dry.

My cats will only eat 1/4 of a small 3oz cat in one sitting, so I only use 1 small can between the two of them per day. I try to give them more but then I end up just throwing it down the drain. I'm lucky that my cats don't mind leftovers, so I just throw a lid on the can and put it in the fridge until the next feeding.

It's all about supply and demand. Most people don't have a lot of cats, most of the population of cat owners have only one or two cats, and most of them feed a mainly dry diet. Like with me, a 13oz can would completely go to waste. I prefer to buy the small cans.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

...AND cats really don't like "leftovers" in my experience, so unless they are going to eat the whole can in one sitting, it often gets wasted anyways.
That was my experience with the big cans. I usually buy the 5.5 oz size. Between 3 cats it's used up in 1 meal and they come in more flavors. I've noticed the 13 oz cans are available in limited flavors, and that won't fly with Nabu.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls eat an exclusively wet food diet (2 with renal failure.) I still buy the small 3 oz. cans. I usually feed a 5.5 oz can and a 3 oz can at one sitting. I add the phosphorus binders and mix it all up. This feeds all three for the night. I've tried two 5.5 oz cans, but there is always some left over that gets thrown out. It's kind of a trade off. The 3 oz cans cost a little more, but at least it all gets eaten. I'd rather spend a little more, and not waste any.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This topic actually drives me nuts. Especially when it comes to kitten food. For heavens' sake - kittens are supposed to be fed twice what adult cats get, why on earth does Wellness sell kitten food (which happens to be a really good quality food) in ONLY 3 oz cans????!!! I've got four kittens who eat a full 27 ozs of wet food a day; that's 63 freakin' Wellness cans a week!

I actually called Wellness about this last week, but the office was closed. I'm gonna call them again. It's bad enough the pet food companies stick so close to the 5.5 oz cans, but to sell a kitten food in only 3 oz cans is crazy.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

celeste8540

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that the Natures Variety wet foods appear to be exactly the same in both cat and dog formulas, you should look to see about the brand you want the larger cans in.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

This topic actually drives me nuts. Especially when it comes to kitten food. For heavens' sake - kittens are supposed to be fed twice what adult cats get, why on earth does Wellness sell kitten food (which happens to be a really good quality food) in ONLY 3 oz cans????!!!
This annoys me, too! My kitten loves the wellness kitten pate but he could probably eat 3 of the 3oz cans in one sitting.

And half the time my Petco is all out of the kitten food anyways. I usually buy some of the kitten ones and then more of the adult wellness wet food since the 5.5 oz cans are a better value.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

That's a really interesting comment, as it is completely the opposite in the UK, very few people I know feed a dry food only, even when we were on benefits, the animals got tinned food. All the rescues I have been involved with feed a mixture of the two as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm just lucky in that my cats don't mind eating refrigerated leftovers. I just let the can sit out for a few minutes then scoop the food into bowls and mix in some hot water to warm it up.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hesster

One thing I've always wondered about wet cat food... Why is it that most of what you see at the pet and grocery store in 3-5.5 ounce cans, when most dog foods are usually sold in 13 ounce cans? I understand that most dogs are bigger than cats, but if you have more than one cat that all eat the same food, it makes more sense to buy bigger cans. I buy 13 ounce cans and go through one every two days.
Write the companies and ask and request what you want, companies need to know public demand and many listen if they get enough requests
They might send you some coupons too

Originally Posted by Hesster

I guess I'm just lucky in that my cats don't mind eating refrigerated leftovers. I just let the can sit out for a few minutes then scoop the food into bowls and mix in some hot water to warm it up.
My cat is like this too, she will eat it cold, she will eat it red or green or blue, she eats anything and everything!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would take me a week to go through a large can and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving leftovers in the fridge that long. I like the small cans (5.5 ounces). I feed half in the morning and half at night so one can a day works for me.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the bigger cans are much better value, what I do is freeze portions out of them if Kizzy won't eat it all within 3 days.... (its what I used to do with baby food, when I would make it, I would freeze it in icecubes..... ) All I need to do is take a baggie out, thaw and serve.

Just an idea for those of you who want to buy the bigger cans and don't want to waste.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Since the bigger cans are much better value, what I do is freeze portions out of them if Kizzy won't eat it all within 3 days.... (its what I used to do with baby food, when I would make it, I would freeze it in icecubes..... ) All I need to do is take a baggie out, thaw and serve.

Just an idea for those of you who want to buy the bigger cans and don't want to waste.
Nice idea! I like that!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Nice idea! I like that!
It works well. Just freeze it in feeding sized portions (ziploc bags, ice cube try then put in a bag, etc.)right after opening it. Defrost overnight.

Once its unthawed though, don't refreeze

I do this with reptile food, human food, etc. Definately a money saver.

sorry for the hijack, back on topic now.

I looked while at the store today, and noticed that only 2 or 3 brands come in the larger cans.