Kitten suckling at other kitten?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for my 15 week old kitten to suckle at my 7.5 month old kitten? He mainly just does it when he's tired, but still. She doesn't even try to stop him.

The first time I saw it my husband had gone to bed and taken Nora with him. I kept Milo with me. I went to be around 5am and took Milo and set him on the bed with Nora. Usually, as soon as I get into bed Nora will come snuggle with me. She did that night and Milo followed her, which he doesn't normally do, and started suckling against her. She just layed there purring, not moving a muscle.

Then again last night, we went to bed pretty late since we had a company party to go to. Both cats sleep with us, so we brought them in, and I sat up in bed to read for a while. Milo started suckling at Nora again, and she just licked his head.

Is this normal? What is going on??

longhornma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is somewhat uncommon behavior from what I've heard but there's nothing really wrong with it. My kitten did it for a while to our older cat and I was told that it was just a sign that she was weaned too early. After a few weeks she gave it up. Just give it some time and the behavior should stop on its own.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha, my 7 month old cat still does it to the younger cats. He only suckles on their necks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by *Pepper*

Ha, my 7 month old cat still does it to the younger cats. He only suckles on their necks.
Milo mainly suckles on her neck also. Weird.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally speaking, it comes from being taken from their mothers too early.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
When Goldy started weaning her kittens, they went to Shareena to suckle. Shareena never objected, but she seems to think they're her babies anyway.