TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Cat health books?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat health books?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Can anyone suggest some good cat health books? I would like to find a good alternative health type book, natureopathic, etc. As well as a good reference book for feeding, general health, etc.

Thanks.
post #2 of 22
Four paws five directions... cheryl swartz( spelling?? )
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Can anyone suggest some good cat health books? I would like to find a good alternative health type book, natureopathic, etc. As well as a good reference book for feeding, general health, etc.

The most comprehensive book I know of that deals with alternative care:
Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine Principles and Practice
By Allen M. Schoen DVM and Susan G. Wynn DVM

For great info on herbs, including safety concerns:
Herbs for Pets by Mary L. Wulff-Tilford

For general info, including using supplements, healing diets, etc:
The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier

There is a lot of great information and advice in this book, but be sure to consult a holistic vet before following recommendations (for using supplements for example) to treat certain conditions.

Another wonderful alternative health type book with a lot of great information and advice:
Veterinarians’ Guide to Natural Remedies for Cats by Martin Zucker

You’ll also find great, in fact, life-saving information in the articles on this web site:
http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/

One more wonderful source of excellent information:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the suggestions....Unfortunately my library doesn't have them (not surprised there) so I'll have to run into Chapters and take a peek.

Great links Violet, Thanks so much for sharing them.
post #5 of 22
if you do online buying ... try amazon
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
if you do online buying ... try amazon

Thanks. I do shop amazon, or chapters online. But its nice to go into the store (Chapters) and look the book over before purchasing. I definately don't buy in the store, its much cheaper even on their website.
post #7 of 22
Cornell also has some good feline health books - not alternative, but hard to beat as a resource as far as feline research and health care, IMO.
post #8 of 22
I hear this book is pretty good, I'm hoping to get it for Christmas so I can tell you how it is (if you plan on waiting a little while): http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl.../dp/0312358016
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlili View Post
Cornell also has some good feline health books - not alternative, but hard to beat as a resource as far as feline research and health care, IMO.
Do you know the full name of the author? I'm not having much luck searching Cornell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I hear this book is pretty good, I'm hoping to get it for Christmas so I can tell you how it is (if you plan on waiting a little while): http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl.../dp/0312358016
Please do post on how it is.... I won't be getting one till after xmas i imagine.
post #10 of 22
I like having this book as a reference - it is written by traditional (not alternative/holistic) veterinarians, though:

The Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (ISBN 9780470095300)

It's only a year old, which I really like. With most medical/veterinary/health titles, you want something up-to-date!
post #11 of 22
Oh, you're so lucky. You have the "Fully Revised and Updated" edition.
(Original copyright 1995)
I got my last new copy in 2004, ordered the one you have just now, can't wait to find out what's the difference.
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoko9 View Post
I like having this book as a reference - it is written by traditional (not alternative/holistic) veterinarians, though:

The Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (ISBN 9780470095300)

It's only a year old, which I really like. With most medical/veterinary/health titles, you want something up-to-date!
That's ok, I'm looking for both I actually came across this one when I was searching the other names mentioned.
post #13 of 22
I found this link to the Cornell Book of Cats - it's produced by Cornell University Feline Health Center.

http://www.amazon.com/Cornell-Book-C.../dp/0679449531
post #14 of 22
Raising Cats Naturally by Michelle Bernard
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Of course the library doesn't have any of the recommended books.... but I found the following: (please let me know if you've heard good or bad things about them) Thanks

- Merck Manual for Pet Health: (this one comes highly recommended, well not this version, but the reptile one is highly spoke of in the reptile industry)

- The Complete Guide to Cat Care by The Humane Society of the US
(not one I would buy, I'd like more of a reference type book.... but thought I'd take a peek for toy ideas/etc)

- The Purina Encyclopedia of Cat Care (its 10yrs old...yet another one that I wouldn't buy, but its the libraries so I can take a peek)

- The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Dogs and Cats

The library has a very limited selection, even the whole library chain not just my local one
I guess I will definately have to go into Chapters in the new year... at least you can sit, check out their books before buying, then go home and order online

I was able to get
The Complete Home Veterinary Guide: 3rd Edition (2004) by Chris C Pinney DVM
The Veterinary Drug Handbook

both Ebooks
post #16 of 22
I highly recommend the Merck one thou it is avail to read online ...
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Please do post on how it is
I'm not done with it yet but I'm pretty far in and it's very good. It's mainly on nutrition and nutrition related diseases, some may seem like basic info depending on how much you know about cat nutrition but there is a lot of factual information which brings about a better understanding. I would certainly recommended it!
post #18 of 22
For Christmas, I received both the Merck/Merial Manual for Pet Health (Home Edition) and the Merck Veterinary Manual. Someone in the family definitely heard that I've been collecting pet reference books!
post #19 of 22
I would recommend Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins, and Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.

I have both and I have found them to be very helpful. I also enjoyed The Cat Bible, but it is more of a book about cats in general instead of mostly health.

Good luck!
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I'm not done with it yet but I'm pretty far in and it's very good. It's mainly on nutrition and nutrition related diseases, some may seem like basic info depending on how much you know about cat nutrition but there is a lot of factual information which brings about a better understanding. I would certainly recommended it!
Sounds good. I will definately take a look at that one...


Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I have quite the list of books to look at the next time I go into the city
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
My books came today

For now I ended up getting:

The Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
and
Your Cat: Simple New Secrets....


off to read
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlili View Post
I found this link to the Cornell Book of Cats - it's produced by Cornell University Feline Health Center.

http://www.amazon.com/Cornell-Book-C.../dp/0679449531
I've got this book and reference it all the time. It's clearly more medically based than holistically based, but I was able to diagnose a thrombosis in one of my cats when the vet could not. Once I asked the vet to go down that path he eventually found the heart condition and agreed with me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Cat health books?