A question about gingerbread houses

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I just finished making my very first gingerbread house (
) which will be a Christmas gift for my boyfriend's son.

I will be going with my boyfriend to see his son on Sunday afternoon so we'll give it to him then. The question is... what do I do with the house until then? Will it keep ok at room temperature? Or should I try to fit it in the fridge? (yikes! my fridge is a mess... and it's past 11pm already. I'm dead tired)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep it room temperature. If you put it in the fridge, any hard candies will get watery and runny.

Cover it lightly, though, so cat hair doesn't stick to it!

Post pics sometime!
Go to bed now and have a good sleep!

edit: A gingerbread house will keep for months and months if you don't put hard candies on it. I used to fill in the windows with a lollypop mixture which would harden but they would only last for a week or two because of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Keep it room temperature. If you put it in the fridge, any hard candies will get watery and runny.

Cover it lightly, though, so cat hair doesn't stick to it!

Post pics!

edit: A gingerbread house will keep for months and months if you don't put hard candies on it. I used to fill in the windows with a lollypop mixture which would harden but they would only last for a week or two because of that.
Oh great, thanks!

I used lifesavers for the windows and it worked well... except that the orange ones don't melt as well as the other colors. Also, I made the windows really small so it's hard to see.

I'll post pictures, but unfortunately, photobucket isn't cooperating tonight.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's cool you did the windows like that! I used to make a tree (out of marshmallows, green food coloring, and corn flakes) and put it inside of the house., and then put those tiny Christmas lights on it, the battery-run kind, and you could see the light shining through the windows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

That's cool you did the windows like that! I used to make a tree (out of marshmallows, green food coloring, and corn flakes) and put it inside of the house., and then put those tiny Christmas lights on it, the battery-run kind, and you could see the light shining through the windows.
wow! that sounds really cool! I wish I had a little light to put inside mine, then maybe we could see the windows.

Here's a picture: