Cats do NOT like you to be all up in their grill

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one thing I have noticed on my two current cats and my one previous one, is they do NOT like you to give affection up close. My two current ones are fairly sweet tempered cats and are fine with petting and such, even sleep with ya, But DO NOT hug up on them..........instant hiss mood. Anyone else's cat(s) like this?

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well my cat sabastian is the biggest cuddler i know, basically i can pick him up any type of day and plop him on the couch with me and fall alseep cuddling him and he wont move! Now nipper and princess will only lay with me when they want to, if i pick them up and try to cuddle with them when they dont want to they take right off.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I blow raspberries in my cat's tummy... we play airplane... I make him dance...
He takes squeezy hugs from children well too. So no... not all cats are like that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

He takes squeezy hugs from children well too. So no... not all cats are like that...
I cant touch the tummy either. They lay and snuggle when its there choice, but I think its the "face to face" they don't like. BTW, they are females. It seems males tend to be "nicer" so to speak than females. Maybe not in every case though.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat isn't like that. Ever since I got him, he sometimes comes right up to my face and goes nose to nose. I've never heard him hiss. He likes his tummy petted, but after a minute, he grabs your hand with his paws and tries to attack it.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every cat has it's own likes and dislikes. =P My boy doesn't like his tummy touched, and he only wants cuddles when HE chooses, and no other time.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like my cats, we also play airplane
My nephew just turned one and is very much into squeezing and hugging the cats - they just let him.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovemykitty3

My cat isn't like that. Ever since I got him, he sometimes comes right up to my face and goes nose to nose. I've never heard him hiss. He likes his tummy petted, but after a minute, he grabs your hand with his paws and tries to attack it.
omg! thats what my cats do, ill pet their tummy and they act all sweet like they love it, then all of a sudden they start attacking my hand

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It all depends on my cat's mood.

Somedays yes, and other days no.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Harley doesn't like hugs and kisses either. She loves to sit in my lap, and she'll let me pet her for hours, but she's not the sort of cat that likes to get in your face. The closest she comes is once in a great while she'll touch noses with me for a moment. She falls over at my feet and purrs, and when she does that, she'll let me rub her belly once in a while (it's too tempting not to...it's so fuzzy). Other times if I try it, she'll grab my hand and give me a nip. She also doesn't like to be held or picked up - she struggles if I try. I just leave it as that's her personality, and I let her be affectionate on her terms.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My binks does not like to be held, but she is still a Lap cat. She loves huggies on her own terms. Usualy in the middle of the night when I wake up to roll over...Cat in my face. OK Bink. Have a few scritches. Now bed time for Tam.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I have to agree with other posters here that it depends on the cat. I have had cats be up in MY grill! They want to cuddle around my neck and face and touch noses with me, lick my face, etc. I had one male stand on my lap, wrap his front paws around my neck and press his cheek to mine in the loveliest hug I think I have ever received!

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'll pick my kitty up and kiss her on her forehead or pucker up my lips for her to kiss, she doesn't get all hissy, sometimes she even puts her paws on the sides of my face like she's trying to hold my face and then licks my nose <3

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Nadette is the sweetest! She will jump up on me in bed and snuggle her face to my mouth and if I don't do it right, she uses her paw to get me to submit to her will!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So funny! I blow "raspberries" on Maia's tummy all the time as well, and she adores hugs and kisses!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats are so different My cat
loves
to be allll up in people's faces. she likes people in her face too, she likes to touch noses and ride on shoulders and demands a lot of face time and attention

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omelet and Marshmellow loved being loved up on! I can kiss their faces, bellies whatever and they are very tolerant of my kids. Cheeto, my newest is not as acceptable of it yet, but he is a newbie

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four females- none really like to be picked up and hugged, 2 don't mind if I head butt them in the face and one of those (Bird) likes her tummy rubbed- she hated it before she had kittens, now she rolls over like the dog, lol, one likes to snuggle with the dog, but rarely humans, and one (Smoochie) is just unpredictable.

Smoochie has just started sporadically coming downstairs and sitting in the recliner with my dh in the evenings (she's 10 years old). Last night, she got in the chair, he tried to pet her and she growled at him, swatted him and proceeded to cuddle up in his lap...he said he was afraid to move, lol!

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All are different, two of my cats just like to be petted, one of them would sit on my lap and loves massage everywhere in her body, but the youngest one is a different story, I NEVER saw such a loving cat, he hangs on me as if he was a baby, rubs his face all over mine and when I make the kiss noise he puts on his cheek waiting for his, he can be squeezed everywhere in his body and he will just love it

dorabella's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Calvin is a total love bug, always rubbing his wet nose on you and wanting to be carried like a baby. Once in a blue moon he decides to be a lap cat, but at 30 pounds, having him sit beside me instead of ON me is perfectly acceptable

Dorabella is pretty much as the title of this thread says. She is quite a snuggle bug but only on her terms and can't seem to get enough. BUT don't try to pick her up, or she will squirm like you are freaking her totally out. Then she'll be back to force your hand to pet her, butting her forehead into you, and then laying all over you, and staying there. She is all, "I will touch you, YOU do NOT have your way with me"

Snoball: well she runs!!
But, she laid on me yesterday following Dorabella's lead. I had a warm, live fuzzy blanket

A member here said 'cats feel safer or not as threatened when their humans are lying down'. This is so true for Snoball!!