Rescuer needs Cat ID help

coh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My rescue is primarily a dog rescue but we take in kittens once in a while.
I had no idea how many different classifications there were for a common cat!

Recently we took in 3 adorable little ones that were born outside. They are domesticating well but I need help with what "type" or "color" classification I should put on petfinder for 2 of them.

I thought Callie was a calico but have been informed she's probably refered to as a tortie.

Brynn of the other hand is a dilute something. Looks like a dulte tabby to me but it's not on the pick list of choices. I'm not even sure what gender this one is. The vet appt is on the 24th so we'll find out then. I think it's a boy though.

So, in advance, thank you for any help!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...petid=12635605
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...petid=12635462

Guess I'm too new to post pix yet so hopefully these link will get you a look at them?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no good on the ID part but boy one of those kittens looks like it could be the offspring of my little girl

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callie can be called a tortie or torbie.

Byrnn isn't diluted. Diluted cats look like they've been dipped in bleach and the color is all washed out. With the 3 colors, chances are that its a girl, and looks to be a cross between a tabby and tortie. I'm not sure that there is a name for those markings. Tri colored cats are over 99% female, and the ones that are male are born sterile.

Welcome to TCS! I know you do dog rescue, but this is a great cat resource site.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brynn looks like a patched tabby and white.
Callie is definitely a tortoiseshell cat -- not dilute. She has classic tortie markings.

Both look like domestic short hair cats.

If I recall, patched tabbies are usually female. Torties are ALWAYS female.

Regardless, bless you for taking in these two darlings. Our rescue, MAAAA, also on Petfinder in Mich, started out as dog only, too. And well... the cats purred, climbed and clawed their way in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! Thanks for the feedback.
So Callie is a female tortie.
Brynn is a female tabby with white chest and feet then.

I'll go "fix" their petfinder profiles then.

Oh and yes, Brynn does look just like your kitty too! very pretty!

I have one cat of my own, Jay Buhner, my favorite Mariner baseball player ever! He's not orange or bald though, he's a gray tabbie that I've had since I took his Mama in with her 4 baby boys that were hours old born under the porch of a Dad and Son that were VERY allergic to cats! Thus started the occasional fostering that turned into a full time thing!
He'll be 8 on March 11th!

Very nice to meet all of you!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoH

Great! Thanks for the feedback.
So Callie is a female tortie.
Brynn is a female tabby with white chest and feet then.

I'll go "fix" their petfinder profiles then.

Oh and yes, Brynn does look just like your kitty too! very pretty!

I have one cat of my own, Jay Buhner, my favorite Mariner baseball player ever! He's not orange or bald though, he's a gray tabbie that I've had since I took his Mama in with her 4 baby boys that were hours old born under the porch of a Dad and Son that were VERY allergic to cats! Thus started the occasional fostering that turned into a full time thing!
He'll be 8 on March 11th!

Very nice to meet all of you!
Yes - Brynn is a PATCHED tabby with white or a torbie (tabby/tortie mix) with white. Either description is correct, tho' I believe 'torbie' is more British and patched tabby is American. And very nice to meet you, too. Hope to see you around the site!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite....
Thank you for caring about orphan kitties.

I would call Brynn a tabico.
Callie and Brynn are both adorable.

This is a great site for people who love cats,
I hope you stay around and join us in the fun.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yes - Brynn is a PATCHED tabby with white or a torbie (tabby/tortie mix) with white. Either description is correct, tho' I believe 'torbie' is more British and patched tabby is American. And very nice to meet you, too. Hope to see you around the site!
So that's how I should describe Tink is a 'patched tabby'?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

So that's how I should describe Tink is a 'patched tabby'?
Yup - she is not really a calico, b/c her brownish colors are also tabby-striped. A true calico or tri-color cat the black/gray is solid... at least this is what the cat fancy folks say.

So she is a patched tabby and white --- other appropriate terms would be torbie and white or tabico (tabby/calico) as someone else here suggested - but I don't hear that last one very often.

If you look at her closely... she is a brown tabby with patches of red (orange).

Most importantly, I would describe Tink as gorgeous!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patched tabby isn't in the petfinder menu so I would use the tabby and torti as the classifications on Brynn

Addiebee, we use the tabbico / torbie classifications at our shelter - usually with an explanation after it so people don't think it is some special breed they need to have

coh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the input. You are all great to help me out like this! They are adorable babies and their brother (I could tell his gender LOL) is a black & white tux, also very cute. Here's his link. How different could 3 littermates be color wise LOL

His name is Zoot (as in Zoot suit)

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...petid=12635450

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Patched tabby isn't in the petfinder menu so I would use the tabby and torti as the classifications on Brynn

Addiebee, we use the tabbico / torbie classifications at our shelter - usually with an explanation after it so people don't think it is some special breed they need to have
I'm not the one doing the classifying at our rescue - usu. a tri color cat is called calico. I don't argue, as long as they find homes!

Cats have been mislabeled - brown tabbies as grey... etc. Again, I don't change it. We had a lady come in and lecture us about labeling one cat as "Siamese mix." She said, don't you know what color he is? I said yes, he's a seal lynx point... Well, she huffed, then that's what you should put on the sign!!!
If someone asks, I explain it to them (colorpoint distinctions, etc.)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we never call them siamese etc as we get those types of people or people who think they are getting a purebred who complain when they dont

Just like all longer haired brown tabbies are Maine Coons

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very cute! Welcome to TCS
So nice of you to foster. When do we get pics of Jay?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI - Through the program I use to upload adoptables to Petfinder for the shelter here, there is an option called "Torbie" (tortie + tabby). I use that one for a kitty like Brynn. I'm not sure if that is an option for all - depends on what you use.

coh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Wow! What a big handsome boy!
Why thank you
I think he's pretty special too!

As you can see, the dogs don't bother him in the least either! LOL
In fact, when other rescuers I know that don't have cats need to know if one of their fosters is ok with cats for a potential adopter, they bring the dogs over to meet Jay. He can tell me a dogs kitty demeanor in about one minute!
Circles the legs: great with cats
Walks by them slowly: good with cats but may play chase
Jumps on the ceiling: bad dog with kitties

He's a great and special cat and I love him to pieces!