My cat doesn't purr much and she ignores catnip.

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since I've owned my cat. I've only recall my cat purring once.

I've tried catnip acouple of times and she just ignores it.

I can't complain, she is a great cat.

She likes to be around people and see what you are doing.

She uses the litter box like she is suppose to.

She even likes to go into the cat carrier when I open the door.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have different personalities, just as we people do.

I rarely hear Punkin purr, but he loves to be brushed and petted. Pick him up, and he starts purring immediately...while he struggles to get down!

Kittens are usually not affected by catnip, and only a portion of adult cats are affected by it.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to have your ear to my little girl's body to hear her purr, yet she will follow you around and push her head to your hand to be petted when she's ready for some love. She's not crazy about catnip - it's a genetic thing for about 1/3 of adult cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Cats have different personalities, just as we people do.

I rarely hear Punkin purr, but he loves to be brushed and petted. Pick him up, and he starts purring immediately...while he struggles to get down!

Kittens are usually not affected by catnip, and only a portion of adult cats are affected by it.
Thanks, yeah, my cat wants somebody to rub her stomach right after she wakes up.

She doesn't like the vacuum cleaner though.

She runs upstairs and hides under the bed. And she knows the sound of the wheels rolling on the floor before I even turn it on.

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

You have to have your ear to my little girl's body to hear her purr, yet she will follow you around and push her head to your hand to be petted when she's ready for some love. She's not crazy about catnip - it's a genetic thing for about 1/3 of adult cats.
Thanks, I will put my ear to her body to see if I can hear her purring.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday purrs a lot but it makes almost no noise. Watch a cat who purrs out loud. You can see their breathing pattern change by watching their sides. That's often the only way I know if Friday's purring.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww,your little girl sounds wonderful - and it looks like she loves and trusts you. Some kitties just purr really loudly and some don't. But I think you lucked out with a great cat, and she was blessed with a loving home.

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Aww,your little girl sounds wonderful - and it looks like she loves and trusts you. Some kitties just purr really loudly and some don't. But I think you lucked out with a great cat, and she was blessed with a loving home.
Yep, she is special.

She adopted me.

It takes a special cat to make a person like cats.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Howard

Yep, she is special.

She adopted me.

It takes a special cat to make a person like cats.

And a special person to admit it.

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

And a special person to admit it.
I know, and this is coming from a person who would have chosen a dog over a cat if I had a choice. Until I adopted this really cool stray cat. It adopted me. I gave it a chance.

After owning one for awhile. I can honestly say I was wrong. Cats are way smarter then alot of people think, and they are way cleaner.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Howard

I know, and this is coming from a person who would have chosen a dog over a cat if I had a choice. Until I adopted this really cool stray cat. It adopted me. I gave it a chance.

After owning one for awhile. I can honestly say I was wrong. Cats are way smarter then alot of people think, and they are way cleaner.
Good for you giving a kitty a chance!!!

My fiance was always a dog person until we moved in together and I brought along my cat...and then got another cat because my cat was getting depressed so now my dog loving fiance is for the first time living with 2 cats! And he LOVES it...he said ALMOST the exact same thing that you said. We went on a trip and so I left the cats with my mom and since we got home late I was too tired to drive up to mom's to get my cats so the next morning my fiance woke me up saying "ummm can you please go get the kitties now? Its lonely here without them and I miss them."

I asked him if he wanted to get a dog and he said that could wait and he always tells his friends about our "cool cats"

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

My fiance was always a dog person until we moved in together and I brought along my cat...and then got another cat because my cat was getting depressed so now my dog loving fiance is for the first time living with 2 cats! And he LOVES it...he said ALMOST the exact same thing that you said. We went on a trip and so I left the cats with my mom and since we got home late I was too tired to drive up to mom's to get my cats so the next morning my fiance woke me up saying "ummm can you please go get the kitties now? Its lonely here without them and I miss them."

I asked him if he wanted to get a dog and he said that could wait and he always tells his friends about our "cool cats"
Cool.

Does he play with them alot?

The thing about cats that alot of dog owners think, is they are "weak or delicate". But they have teeth and claws. They can handle themselves.

They are like little tigers and lions.

Cats want to play fight and bite and scratch just like their bigger cousins, the tiger and lion.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten ignores catnip too!! It's so weird because I had the actual herb in my house, someone had used it for something and I let Jake sniff it but he didn't react at all...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats didnt show any interest in catnip until they were over a year old.
Sometimes, it just takes longer.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

my BF was a dog man when i met him, then when he met Sabastian he loved him right away, then when we moved in together we adopted Nipper, and just recently got Princess, and i can honestly say he spoils them with love and attention just as much as me....if not more.

as for purring, all of my cats purr, usually when they sleep on us, next to us, or when we are petting them. both sabastian and nipper enjoy catnip, and princess is still too young.