TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I have had it,We have a Ant problem again!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have had it,We have a Ant problem again!!!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Last summer we had ants and got rid of them now its terrible again.
We tried the stuff we used this time and it did not work.
I am sitting on the sofa and they were on me and the cats.
It all started after it rained.
My husband opened the pantry and it was loaded with ants going up the wall. I need to kill them with out using poison.
post #2 of 11
If you google - how to kill ants without chemicals - you'll get lots of suggestions.
post #3 of 11
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. It wont hurt the cats at all. Its actually good to use for parasite control, if they ingest any.

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html
post #4 of 11
Having dealt with ants before, one thing that is very important is to find out how they are coming in. I had to reseal the bottom of my door and my one window. Once I was able to stop them from coming in the house, I was able to kill off the ones that were inside.

I don't know of a non-chemical way to get rid of them, as I was able to use a poison inside the cupboards and under the couches where animals could not get to it......but I just wanted to mention about cutting off the cause of them is important, or they will just keep coming back no matter what you do use.

These 2 sites have some suggestions:

http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_3791_rid-ants-naturally.html

Good luck....hope you can get rid of the pesky buggers.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. It wont hurt the cats at all. Its actually good to use for parasite control, if they ingest any.

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html
Pami has it right - food grade DE. My sister got rid of hers that way.
post #6 of 11
Thanks for the suggestion about the food grade earth.

I do use this chemical outdoors (my babies never go outside) and I take great care to really only use it around the slab my townhouse is and around the perimeter of the patio. This helps keeps the ant hills at bay, but I needed something for when they may make it inside. I will be trying this too!
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Thanks for the suggestion about the food grade earth.

I do use this chemical outdoors (my babies never go outside) and I take great care to really only use it around the slab my townhouse is and around the perimeter of the patio. This helps keeps the ant hills at bay, but I needed something for when they may make it inside. I will be trying this too!
You can use this for the outside too, so you are not putting anything toxic into the earth. You can use this to treat fleas, even on your cats or dogs, they can eat it, you can put it around your house, inside and out, but it must be food grade.
post #8 of 11
I've been using DE for several years now and it's wonderful. I don't know how I managed without it. We had ants coming in one area and I sprinkled liberally with DE - ants were gone within a couple hours. I also sprinkle DE across doorway sills and window sills in the summer.

As another poster said, you must be sure it is food/human grade which is perfectly safe for humans and pets. In fact if your cats were to ingest any DE, it would help to rid them of any internal parasites.
post #9 of 11
If you can find it their also is this option
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/M602

No toxic chemicals
Ingredients:
Mint Oil
Lecithin (safe natural fatty substance)
Mineral Oil (USP)
Deionized Water
Carbon Dioxide (propellant)
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
If you can find it their also is this option
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/M602

No toxic chemicals
Ingredients:
Mint Oil
Lecithin (safe natural fatty substance)
Mineral Oil (USP)
Deionized Water
Carbon Dioxide (propellant)
Is the Mint Oil from essential oil? Essential Oil is toxic to cats.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Is the Mint Oil from essential oil? Essential Oil is toxic to cats.
It doesn't state on the MSDS if its essential or not. But since the active ingrediant is the mint oil I am sure that it is not. Trying to drive away or kill ants with scent would be difficult.

Take directly from their site
http://www.saferbrand.com/resources/...#pf-still-kill

"The products are made from mint oil which clogs the insects spiracles (breathing holes) and over-stimulates their nervous system resulting in death."

"Mint oil. It is extracted from the menthe arvensis plant and is found in many consumer products, including toothpaste, mouthwash, gum."

I use this product around my kitties. They are still walking walking in a straight line.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I have had it,We have a Ant problem again!!!