What's the best cat flea and tick spray?

shackleford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about the "natural" or "organic" sprays such as the following?

http://www.botanicaldog.com/proddeta...udyshealthcafe

What about organic flea collars? I've read some reviews online about PetGuard Herbal collars, and people say they work but you just have to replace them frequently and they are completely safe as well.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not use any kind of spray or collar. I think its best to use the monthly treatments you get from the vet (frontline, advantage, revolution).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - get the topical treatments from a vet. Having had a bad infestation of fleas in our townhouse I know from experience that even the sprays from the vet did not work on the fleas. We finally resorted to having our home professionally treated for fleas.

Now I keep our home flea-free by using Advantage and/or Revolution on our pets and sprinkling DE into carpeting to ensure no larvae are lurking and waiting to hatch.

Flea collars such as Hartz are dangerous and have caused death. I don't know about the organic ones, but if there is anything poisonous in them to kill fleas I probably wouldn't use them on my cats. My feeling is that the best use for flea collars is to cut them up and put them in our vacuums.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest the drop on treatments... preferably from the vet.

My roommate got that spray stuff for the dog once... it smells AWFUL. Not bad in itself, but it's overpowering and just... ick. Sickening. It got tossed.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing herbal is safe for a cat, many are made with essential botanical oils including eucalyptus and are toxic to cats.

I would never recommend anything other than flea treatments and preventatives given by a vet or dispensed from a pet pharmacy.
Anything else and you are really taking a risk.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't get anything OTC (herbal/natural or plain old grocery store) without a vet consultation. Why take a chance?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some flea bombs from the vet I need to set off. I have to board my cats at the vet office for 3 hours. They said they would only charge me 12 dollars to hold them in cages for the time I need. I have to leave house for 2 hours then come in and open windows. I hope this doesn't turn into a nightmare.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I bought some flea bombs from the vet I need to set off. I have to board my cats at the vet office for 3 hours. They said they would only charge me 12 dollars to hold them in cages for the time I need. I have to leave house for 2 hours then come in and open windows. I hope this doesn't turn into a nightmare.
Please read the 'bombs' careful and don't use anymore than you need for your space. It can be very toxic and linger if you use too much.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've got bombs to use too but haven't had a flea problem in a few years thank goodness.

I swear by advantage - not the multi just plain advantage.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

That stuff is quite frightening when you think about it. Everything left out will get a dusting of those chemicals. Put plastic over your bedding, be sure to place the cat's food dish and water bowl in a covered area.

Better yet, ditch the bombs, apply a topical flea treatment and vacuum religiously.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please like many have said consult a vet ...

I consulted my vet and her answer for that very product was NO ....

IMHO flea collars should only be used in vacuum bags