Going to the USA

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I live in Mexico, where the best I can get is Hill's, Eukanuba and Royal Canin. I have a 4 month Himalayan who was fed with Royal Canin Growth while he was with the breeder and now I feed him the same. The problem is here the prices in stores are like 33 USD for a 4kg (about 9 lb) Royal Canin Growth bag, and 23 USD for the same with the breeder that sold me the cat.

So next week I'm going to San Antonio, and I wanted to know where and for how much can I get Royal Canin Growth. I don't pay all of this myself, as I live with my parents and they pay, so I really need the best deals in terms of price. I would also welcome other suggestions for cheaper/better dry food. I know it's beneficial to give wet food to cats, and believe me if I paid everything I would give my cat a can of Hill's or something per day, but my parents won't do it. Of course if there's some canned food which is good and cheaper/equal to dry food I'd be willing to buy it, but for the time being, please give suggestions along with prizes and places to buy in San Antonio.

Thanks in advance for your help

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart & Petco both carry Royal Canin foods. i'd have your parents call around for the specific one you're looking for - then buy the largest bags you can find. larger bags are cheaper per pound than the smaller ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked the Petsmart and Petco sites and it seems the max. size they carry is 7 lb at least online, and they don't have Growth. Do you recommend any other Royal Canin food for my 4 month old Himalayan? Or maybe another brand? Also like what would be the biggest size of Royal Canin food and what would be the price just so I can make some estimateS>?

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I use Royal Canin 36 for Cleo.
Thats what the breeder used.
Is that food for kittens up to 1 year of age? And for how much is the biggest size of bag? Cause online it seems like the max. is 7 lb.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ricardo222222

I checked the Petsmart and Petco sites and it seems the max. size they carry is 7 lb at least online, and they don't have Growth. Do you recommend any other Royal Canin food for my 4 month old Himalayan? Or maybe another brand? Also like what would be the biggest size of Royal Canin food and what would be the price just so I can make some estimateS>?
here are some ideas - your RC growth has these ingredients:
ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Dietâ„¢ feline Growth DD 34â„¢ Dry Chicken meal, rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken fat, chicken, dried egg powder, natural flavors, pea fiber, beet pulp, salmon oil, dried brewers yeast, sodium silicoaluminate, potassium chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides, choline chloride, salt, L-lysine, brewers yeast extract (source of mannos-oligosaccharides), calcium carbonate, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, vitamins [DL-alpha-tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin, biotin, riboflavin(vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement], trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.

RC Persian [for adults] has these:
Chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, chicken meal, rice, corn, brown rice, natural chicken flavor, soy isolate, pea fiber, dried egg product, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), rice hulls, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), sodium silico aluminate, soya oil, ground psyllium seeds, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides, DL-methionine, taurine, salt, borage oil, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, L-lysine, potassium citrate, sodium tripolyphosphate, Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], marigold extract (Calendula officinalis L.), preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract.

& RC Kitten 36 has these [it's the one the RC site recommends for this age, btw]:
Chicken meal, brown rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken fat, chicken, dried egg product, natural chicken flavor, wheat gluten, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), L-lysine, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), sodium silico aluminate, dried brewers yeast, soya oil, pea fiber, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides, sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), choline chloride, taurine, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), L-Carnitine, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract.

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, the RC Persian is definitely what I'll give my cat when he gets older if I stay with RC. With the RC 36 I noticed too that they recommend that for kittens from 4 to 12 months, so that may be an option if I can find prices for large bags.

Edit: After checking the Petsmart site they sell the RC 34 (no 36) and it's priced at 20 USD for a 7 lb bag. I have 2 questions:
1. Is that 34 http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750359 the same as the Growth that I have now http://www.clinicaquiros.com/productos/img_166.jpg ?
It looks the same from the ingredients, but somehow has a different look.
2. What are the costs for bigger bags? Because 20 USD for 7 lb isn't exactly cheaper than the 23 USD for 9 lb I get from the breeder of my cat.

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, probably 7 pounds is the max. amount. What I don't understand is why it's cheaper with the breeder that sold me the cat. Anyway, while browsing Petsmart I found some very interesting and tempting prices for other brands. I would only really consider changing foods if I get positive comments from these foods.

I would love if all of you could tell me how these following foods compare to Royal Canin in terms of quality and overall:
1. The Goodlife Recipe Indoor Cat Food ($18.49 for 14 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3082031
2. Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness Cat Food ($14.99 for 16 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3081985
3. AuthorityÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Kitten Formula Dry Food ($11.99 for 8 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3105262
4. Pro PlanÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Total Care Kitten Formula ($19.49 for 8 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750178
5. Purina Cat Chow ($7.99 for 7 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750193
6. Iams Kitten Formula Food ($14.49 for 8 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750094
7. Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold Filet Mignon Dry Cat Food ($14.99 for 7 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3083125
8. Fancy FeastÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Dry Cat Food ($14.99 for 7 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750056
9. Nutro Max Cat Kitten Formula Dry Food ($25.99 for 16 lb.) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3105476
10. Natural Balance Ultra Premium Cat Food ($29.99 for 15 lb.) http://www.petco.com/product/7953/Na...-Cat-Food.aspx
11. Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken All Life Stages Cat Food ($29.99 for 15 lb.) http://www.petco.com/product/15040/S...-Cat-Food.aspx

Now I would pay anything if it was up to me, but my parents are starting to ask questions about how long the kitten is going to eat this kind of food (RC). I just need comments on these brands just in case.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
don't know how they would compare - but packaging could definitely differ from one country to another.
this one: RC Kitten 36 comes in a large [15 pound] bag for $38 - works out to $2.50 per pound vs $2.85 per pound. not a huge difference, i'll grant you.
Authority is an acceptable food, IMO. i've fed it in the past to my moggies, & still use it for the ferals.

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I want is a food that is cheaper and better/equal to RC. The list I put a few posts back is all food from either Petsmart or Petco that is considerably cheaper than RC.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
of those you listed, the last 3 (Nutro Max, Natural Balance and Solid Gold) are probably the best quality, IMO they are even better than RC. Of those 3 I would go for the Nutro Max since it is a little cheaper and just as good of quality

oh, and one more thing, if you switch your kittens food, be sure to do it in stages. For example, mix 25% new food, 75% old food, then after a few days, 50%/50%, after a few more days up it to 75% new food/25% old food and then finally 100% new food. It is easier on their tummies to do a gradual switch

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That seems great. I'll comment this with my family and see if we change to Nutro Max. Just one question: what is the difference between the Nutro Max and the more expensive Nutro Natural Choice?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ricardo222222

That seems great. I'll comment this with my family and see if we change to Nutro Max. Just one question: what is the difference between the Nutro Max and the more expensive Nutro Natural Choice?
i think the Max Cat has more grain content, perhaps?
Nutro Natural Choice kitten kibble
Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dried Vegetable Fiber (Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Water Cress, Spinach), Oat Fiber, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Inositol, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Dried Chicory Root, Cranberry Powder, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid.

Nutro MaxCat kitten kibble
Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Rice, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Rice Bran, Chicken, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Cranberry, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Inositol, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Dried Blueberry, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

ricardo222222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah seems like it. Still I would be grateful of more opinions about the foods. As of right now we'll probably buy enough 16 lb sacks of Nutro Max for my kitten to eat till he's 1 year old.

Also where are brands like Innova, Evo, Taste of the wild, Orijen and California natural sold and what are the prices?

Edit: I found here: http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/d...asp?dept_id=94
all these foods and their prices. I also found out the cheapest of them to be Taste of the wild at 26 USD for a 15 lb. bag. If someone can tell me where in San Antonio can I get this food physically (as shipping is insane and I'm going on vacation 3 days) I would be forever grateful.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
those foods are usually found at Feed stores or specialty pet shops, I'd got to their individual websites and there is usually a store locator, you'd just put in San Antonio's zip code and it will give you locations