I have to go to the DMV

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't renew on line because this time I have to take a written and an eye exam. I have an appointment for 2:45 today. I am not worried just frustrated that I have to do that this time.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been in ages but a friend of mine had to retake his written test this year (too many points for speeding) and I guess it's gotten a lot better here.
I hope you can say the same!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I haven't been in ages but a friend of mine had to retake his written test this year (too many points for speeding) and I guess it's gotten a lot better here.
I hope you can say the same!
I don't think that it has anything to do with points here. You just have to re-take it periodically.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!!!

I don't have a car so I don't drive, but I've kept my license renewed. Not every year, but at least every 2 years. Here if you go 3 years without renewing you have to start from the beginning with a written, eye exam, learners permit, drivers test and then the graduated license. Only once did I wait until almost 3 years had gone by but that was just recently because I was too sick to go and renew it and didn't have the money.

I renewed it last July, and I plan on renewing it again in March when it comes due, which is the actual month it expires.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to go today, and was helped by what was probably the happiest guy I had ever met. He was an older man, that looked like he could be a real sourpuss, but he was so nice. I hope your trip goes as well.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Rosemary! I had to renew mine back in March, but luckily all I had to do was fill out some new paperwork...didn't have to retest thankfully.

Hope it goes well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't supposed to take a driving test, just vision and written. I passed the eye exam and got 1 wrong on the written test. The question had something to do with a certain kind of fine or jail time. I picked the jail time and it was the $1000.00 fine. I think that was in the part of the DMV manual that I didn't actually read. Yup, that was probably hubris on my part but I just kept putting off reading that manual. I didn't finish it all before the test. It was more important to spend those extra 15 minutes putting on my makeup, although I am not sure why because DMV pictures are really pretty awful.

So, I can still drive until the next renewal in 1/2014. Gosh, that date looks so unreal.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I soooooo know your frustration! I have been going through it trying to get my license address changed from NJ to NY. It has been literally hell

I lost my identification in a move. First I had to get my birth certificate, then my passport renewed, then my SS card, all needed to get my drivers license. I finally received my SS card 4 days after my license expired for 1 year. In NY you have to start from scratch if expired over 1 year, permit, 5 hour class, driven and written! The DMV rep even suggested renewing my NJ license. So I went to NJ to renew, on the way the person driving me hits someone, car accident! No one was hurt but I was freaking out! Cops take almost an hour to show up when the police station is 1 block away! Finally get report and able to leave, arrive at DMV 15 minutes before they close. Make it up to the oicture window and am told my license has been suspended
! No clue why it would be! And the story goes on....but short and sweet, still haven't renewed my license but am able to with a $100 fee.........

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it went well! I just saw this thread and the thing I was going to advise is study the manual, lol. I did the same thing when we moved to California, I missed a couple that were different laws than Texas or Massachusetts, but passed okay, too.

I liked getting my Canadian license since my weight was in kilograms instead of pounds so it seemed less!