Wheat or Oat grass?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen a lot of wheat grass seeds for sale, and some oat grass. Does it matter which kind I get for Riley? He has no known allergies, but I wasn't sure if one kind was better than the other?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, some kitties prefer the taste of one over the other.

I sell a mix of the two (my cats prefer the mix) on eBay, but recently sold just oatgrass seeds to a TCSer as one of her cats has a known allergy to wheat.

I have not yet, but plan to shortly create a couple of new listings so that I can offer them to folks seperately for those who do have cats with allergies.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is a taste issue...

FYI the gluten which is the allergen in wheat is not present in grass , thus a wheat allergy would not be triggered by wheat grass ...

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

it is a taste issue...

FYI the gluten which is the allergen in wheat is not present in grass , thus a wheat allergy would not be triggered by wheat grass ...
Thanks for that! I was just wondering about this yesterday.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

it is a taste issue...

Really? I wasn't aware of that! Well then, I'll make it available for those kits that prefer one over the other.