What Carols get you *right there*?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about everyone else, but there's one Christmas Carol that makes me tear up every time I hear it when it's done right. That's "I'll Be Home for Christmas". "Done right" means it's sung by a man with the right kind of emotion, meaning longing for home.

The story behind the carol is that it was released during World War II when the soldiers were deep in combat in 1943, as recorded by Bing Crosby. It touched the hearts of both civilians and soldiers alike. It was the most requested song in all theaters of combat, and did so much for soldier morale during those difficult times.

So every time I hear that Christmas Carol, which totally loses its impact for me if a woman sings it, I think about the soldiers serving away from home in the past and present and it brings a tear to my eye.

Silent Night is another one that when done right has a tremendous emotional impact for me.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Bing Crosby is the only person who can sing "I'll be Home For Christmas" correctly. He just puts alot of emotion into it and it really just tugs at my heart also.

Being 36 weeks prego it does not take much to send me into tears these days, but Silent Night is up there also.

The one song that really just brings a tear to my eye is "The First Noel" it was my Grandmother's favorite song and she used to ask me to play it on the piano for her every Christmas. She past away a few years ago and when I hear the song it makes me think of her.

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think "I'll be home for Christmas" is the one that always gets me specially the last three Christmas seasons, cause this year I'm stationed in Germany last year I was in Iraq and the year before Germany again (I'm from the states).

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wildfire203

I think "I'll be home for Christmas" is the one that always gets me specially the last three Christmas seasons, cause this year I'm stationed in Germany last year I was in Iraq and the year before Germany again (I'm from the states).
My Dad says "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and "Christmas Eve in My Home Town" (Jim Nabors) get him every time -- it reminds him of being in the Army (he was in Vietnam for two years).

For me, it's "Stille Nacht." ("Silent Night" in the original German). My Oma (German term that is not easy to translate but is something like "Granny" or "Nana") sang this as a solo one year at Midnight Mass and didn't tell us she was doing it. My Mom and I both started crying.

This year, "Merry Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" and "Please Come Home for Christmas" are really getting to me. I ended a 3-year relationship in August, and while I am happier and healthier, I do miss my ex a little. Also, some mutual friends have told me he's really not doing well, so I worry about him.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Oh Holy Night" and "The Little Drummer Boy". The latter because not only is it moving, but it was also my Mom's favourite Carol and whenever I hear it I remember her and how much I miss her.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman

and Chanticleers' Ave Maria its not the Schubert one that everyone is familiar with. I tear up every time I hear it because it is soo beautiful.

Silent Night makes me cry from laughter since mom is still making fun of me for the year that I totally miscounted it and played it in 4/4 time instead of 3/4 time which is EVEN funniner when you consider that I was playing the flute and mom was accompanying me on the paino. (Hahaha she still brings it up EVERY year whe nI ask what we are going to play during our solo during the Christmas mass she is always like "well we COULD do Silent night....but I know how hard it is to count to 3") HAHAHHA and she looks at me during the year and goes "I dont get it you can play super complicated classical works but you can't seem to get silent night..." makes me laugh all the time. its an I guess you had to be there moment.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I think probably Silent Night closely followed by The First Noel with O Little Town Of Bethlehem running a close third

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitley I'll be Home For Christmas, definitley! I guess cuz I haven't been home for christmas in a long, long time.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are many that make me emotional, but there is one that makes me outright cry. It's a Polish lullaby carol, I don't know what it's called off hand. We have it on CD. Well, I always think of my grandmother because when my dad was a baby she would sing it to him. She died when I was only four, of Alzheimer's. I miss her dearly.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll be home for Christmas always makes me tear up no matter what. They had it playing in the Food Lion while I was shopping the other day and there I was, standing over the bananas, just a'boo-hoo'ing away.

The Little Drummer Boy is another that gets me ... but for different reasons. When I was little, my eldest sister got a "real" stereo (one with an amp and two speakers, not just a record player) and Mom wanted to play an album of Christmas music. That song came on and it moved me emotionally so I began to cry ... my Dad thought I was being jealous that my sis got a stereo and I didn't so I got beat and sent to my room for the remainder of the day. So, when I hear that one, I always think of bad things, unfortunately, and cry from them.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

and Chanticleers' Ave Maria its not the Schubert one that everyone is familiar with. I tear up every time I hear it because it is soo beautiful.
That would be the one by Franz Biebl. Yes, it is veryvery lovely, and one of my favourite things, not just for Christmas.

I've been thinking about this question all morning, and I keep coming back to Silent Night. There are many that are favourites, some of which I actually like better, but that's the one that has that profound effect.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
"I'll be home for Christmas" is getting to me this year because of my father. Like Gaye, I found myself boo-hoo ing in a store the other day and had to leave.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely an easier question for me than the most hated Christmas Carol, since I like all of them, lol!

Hands down "gut buster" for me is "The Greatest Gift of All".....hub and I do it every year at church, and after the problems we had a few years back, it has a lot of extra special meaning for both of us.

sandra

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I am not sure this is considered a carol BUT, I LOVE the song, "Celebrate me home", by Kenny Loggins, it's only played at Christmas time

It's such a GREAT song
.... Oh I love that song too Helen and Kenny Loggins too!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

That would be the one by Franz Biebl. Yes, it is veryvery lovely, and one of my favourite things, not just for Christmas.
You know, I don't think I've ever heard that version of Ave Maria, but I just found it on YouTube and it is beautiful. Bach's Ave Maria will bring me to tears every time, no matter the season.

I'll be Home for Christmas is a big tear jerker too, but I LOVE "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland.

Silent Night will do it to. When I was younger, my family always went to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, and for years it started as a candlelight ceremony where everyone held a lit candle during the procession of the priest and altarboys, the choir sang Silent night, the only light in the church was from the congregation and candles on the altar and behind everything you could hear the church bells ringing to celebrate the start of Christmas. To this day, just thinking about it makes me tear up and gives me chills. Shortly after I graduated from High School we got a new pastor that not only did away with the candle ceremony, he did away with midnight mass. It's just not the same.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One song I just LOVE is Still, Still, Still done by Mannheim Steamroller. I think it is because the Christmas I really heard it first, I had a 1 year old boy and was pregnant again (oh those pregnancy hormones...) but also it was just very...significant...somehow to have a baby boy right before Christmas.

I also love "O Holy Night", my grandmother's favorite, and "Adeste Fidelis" because my father taught me the Latin to it.