Ringworm

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well poo

My vet just called me, and Kizzy does indeed have ringworm...so I have to go pick up some meds for it later

Anyone have any tips for dealing with this?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a search on this forum. Ringworm is highly contagious even to humans so you need to treat it as such. Your vet should be able to give you plenty of information but there is also much written about it on this forum that you can look up and read up on. You will need to be vigilant since it's a hardy little fungus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Do a search on this forum. Ringworm is highly contagious even to humans so you need to treat it as such. Your vet should be able to give you plenty of information but there is also much written about it on this forum that you can look up and read up on. You will need to be vigilant since it's a hardy little fungus.
We did have a good talk about it when I originally went it....we're not worried about the human aspect, as everything I've read, and what the vet said was that it's mainly contagious if you have a comprimised immune system...which none of us do.

Kizzy has been quarenteened since I got him, so with any luck the spores haven't spread far

I have been reading and reading over old posts, articles, etc. Like most "new" parents though, posting is more of a consolation. I feel bad for him.

pussy_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive recently had experience with ringworm as well.

The vet will know the treatments that work best (meaning. the treatments that will get rid of it the quickest and most effectively) even though there are plenty of options (sulfer dips, shampoo's, etc). She will probably prescribe Griseofulvin and an antifungal shampoo specifically used to treat ringworm which you will have to use on your kitty a few times the first week and each week following you would use it less for about a month. The Griseofulvin is not the nicest medication and if taken at too high a dose can be lethal however your vet will know exactly how much your kitty needs to be given (so don't worry) and you will just need to watch Kizzy carefully and let your vet know if he/she develops any unusual symptoms. As scary as it sounds, the Griseofulvin has apparently been used over and over causeing no problems and it IS the most effective treatment in ringworm (according to my vet).

It is a Zoonotic illness which means that your dog and you and your family can get it. Really, the best thing that you can do is seperate your cat from everyone else (which sounds cruel but is necessary to help prevent it from spreading). I would suggest putting him/her in a room with a hard floor so it can regularly be washed. I am pregnant and have two small children as well as other cats so I did what I had to do and although it broke my heart to do it, it was in everyone's best interest. I am not saying not go in and spend time with your kitty, just be sure that you change your clothes/shoes and wash with antibacterial soap each time that you do because even one stray hair can infect your dog. You will need to do a full cleaning with 1 part bleech to 10 parts water. I sprayed my whole house down with this mix (of course had the kids out for the day). All the hard furniture, walls, floors and I did a full sweeping/mopping and even rented a steam cleaner to do the carpets and furniture. I washed all the food/water bowls that I have and did about ten loads of laundry (with bleech and laundry detergant) to wash any thing she may have come into contact with. I threw out my scratching post and the chair she always sleept on and changed my furnace filter. I kept up the cleaning each day for about a week. Luckily no one contracted ringworm (including my other cats) and we are still clear of it.

I do suggest that you also bath your dog with the antifungal shampoo you receive as it will not hurt him/her but will help prevent him/her from getting ringworm. I bathed my (no infected) cats twice in this within the first week. It is also recommended that you shave your kitty for best results.

BTW, ringworm, despite it's name, has NOTHING to do with worms. It was only called that because of the "ring" shape that it makes. It is actually a fungus.

I wish you the best of luck!

Take care

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a product I have posted about before that you can use on surfaces that you can't use bleach on and it lasts for 30 days I do believe, which cuts down a bunch on the work. I put it in laundry, spray couches, mattress, shampoo carpet,etc. It is Healthguard Laundry additive and disinfectant and you order it from Revival Animal Health. It will not harm the animals or people.
Ringworm needs the hair shaft to grow and spread so it also helps if the vet shaves the area where the sores are and watch with a black light any new lesions so those can be trimmed. Some vets shave the whold cat but unless it is severe I wouldn't do that. Mine are Persians and they did just fine with only the sores shaved. You are doing all the right things but it is very contagious and can live in the environment for up to two years so IMO you should keep up with the cleaning and isolation.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the vets.

They gave me Chlorhexidine soap and Surolan topical ointment.

Kizzy's just gonna love me
Cut his fur + Soap 1x daily, so a mini bath, + ointment 2x daily for 10days.

They gave me some info, and assured me I'm already doing everything right, which I'm glad.

*sigh* what a rough start at least I know I'm doing a good job tho

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would question whether one needed a compromised immune system to be infected with ringworm so would probably disagree with your vet on that. It's true that some folks don't get it but I don't believe it has anything to do with a compromised immune system. Just like some people are not susceptible to poison ivy or poison oak.

I believe you should treat ringworm as being very contagious and proceed accordingly or you may have it around far longer than you expect.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would question whether one needed a compromised immune system to be infected with ringworm so would probably disagree with your vet on that. It's true that some folks don't get it but I don't believe it has anything to do with a compromised immune system. Just like some people are not susceptible to poison ivy or poison oak.

I believe you should treat ringworm as being very contagious and proceed accordingly or you may have it around far longer than you expect.
as we have been.
My vet explained how humans can get it, and things to do to prevent it. Studies have shown that in people with comprimised immune systems (cancer/hiv/young children with low immune systems, and older people, etc) are more liable to get anything. Ringworm, although contagious, is not a serious health risk in a person with a normal immune system who can fight it off. He never said there is no risk involved, and I am not saying that. I'm saying I am not worried about anyone in my household getting it

Some vets will actually let ringworm run its course (approx. 4mos) in animals.

I'm quite confident we will conquer this
May not be fast, but we will conquer it
Might get frustrated but....such is life. I'm just hoping the creams work so he can come out of isolation

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wait - treating for 10 days only? No oral meds?

Sorry - but in my experience with ringworm at the shelter & via Damita.....oral meds are a must. Ringworm cannot simply be treated topically as there are bound to be spots that you cannot see. I found it much easier to just treat all the cats orally at once. I've used Fluconazole for 4-6 weeks (oral med). Cuz the one time I didn't do everyone - right near the end of the "infected" cats treatment someone else came down with it & re-infected the source.

People who do not have compromised immune systems can & do get ringworm. Go search my username & "ringworm"....was through it dozens of times.

My best advice re: ringworm? Don't be a spaz like I was!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Wait - treating for 10 days only? No oral meds?

Sorry - but in my experience with ringworm at the shelter & via Damita.....oral meds are a must. Ringworm cannot simply be treated topically as there are bound to be spots that you cannot see. I found it much easier to just treat all the cats orally at once. I've used Fluconazole for 4-6 weeks (oral med). Cuz the one time I didn't do everyone - right near the end of the "infected" cats treatment someone else came down with it & re-infected the source.

People who do not have compromised immune systems can & do get ringworm. Go search my username & "ringworm"....was through it dozens of times.

I agree. I really question what the OP's vet has told her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you know that it's a myth that people only get ringworm once?
I've got it again from cuddly the ringworm contaminated shelter kitties (prior to knowing they had ringworm).

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've thought long before I typed.

I do not know what else I can say in this thread.

Thank you to the two that actually wished me good luck...and thx for the feel better Kizzy vibes...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Ok, I've thought long before I typed.

I'm done with this thread.

Thank you to the two that actually wished me good luck...and thx for the feel better Kizzy vibes...
Wait a sec, you opened this thread asking for tips in dealing with ringworm and because you dont like the facts of what you've been told you "are done with this thread" and thank those who said something that you liked.

You have started more than one thread asking for advice and seemingly getting offended when someone tells you something different than what you have been told by someone else. Im not sure why you are starting the threads asking for opinions, if you are not willing to be open to opinions.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sneak_lady: I agree with you.... I am also glad my vet did not put Lucky on oral meds. Anti-fungus oral meds can be damaging for their livers... I was going to let it run it's course, but decided to treat her with Iodine starting today. I did a loooooot of research, and Iodine seems to get rid of it very quicky.... so does violet gentian... I am also giving her transfer factor, as it has quite great reviews with ringworm as well. I also have a UV lamp and scan her body every night, to see if it is spreading... nope - just that one spot on her tail...
I also researched about getting it myself, and spoke to my vet about it... She said that if I haven't gotten yet by now, chances are I am not going to get it... There is a small risk, but I chose to take the risk instead of giving Lucky oral meds... Per my vet, people with compromised immune-system, small kids and elderly have the most risk...

Lucky sleeps with me everyday.... I rather have that risk than isolating her, or giving her meds that could risk her health later on... That for me would be my last resort.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND PEOPLE: I AM NOT RECOMMENDING IODINE, OR NOT TREATING, OR NOT ISOLATING, ETC. THESE ARE MY OPTIONS ONLY. HOWEVER YOU WANT TO TREAT YOUR CAT IS BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR VET. I do trust my vet, and my doctors....

With that stated.... Sneak_lady... You have my support... I hope Kizzy and Lucky get better really soon!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Wait a sec, you opened this thread asking for tips in dealing with ringworm and because you dont like the facts of what you've been told you "are done with this thread" and thank those who said something that you liked.
I did ask for tips, and recieved some. But the bottom line is several don't agree with the way my vet is treating it, and I do agree with it. What more is there to say? Why should I keep defending what my vet is doing, or explaining myself?

There comes a point when people need to agree to disagree and that is precisely what I've done by thinking I was done with this post, but yet again I feel the need to defend myself

You have started more than one thread asking for advice and seemingly getting offended when someone tells you something different than what you have been told by someone else. Im not sure why you are starting the threads asking for opinions, if you are not willing to be open to opinions.
I would like to know where else have I been offended? There was one post, which was a misunderstanding, and cleared up....aside from that, I see nothing that you have mentioned.

I thanked those who have offered support or tips. There is NOTHING wrong with that at all. (Looking back, I did miss one, and I'm sorry. I appreciate white cat lover
) That is a similiar line as what my vet told me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Am I not entitled to say "I'm done with this thread" especially since there is NOTHING else I can say? Others believe what they believe, and I believe what I believe.

Maybe "done with it" is the wrong termanology. It's more, I'm agreeing to disagree. Any furthur tips or support would be appreciated. Kizzy and I have had one heck of a ride, and all I want is to get rid of this so we can enjoy Kizzy around the house instead of him being isolated.

If what my vet has prescribed does not work, although it should with this particular strain, they will reevaluate things when I go in for a the check up in 2 weeks. But I completely understand why he went topical instead of oral. Kizzy is an underweight, 5mos old, on antibiotics for URI and to add on oral meds for ringworm could have devestating effects. Something I am not willing to risk.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a link you may want to read - I know I am second guessing your vets advice, but I truly do not think treating for 10 days will cure the ringworm. I am saying that from the "been there, done that" standpoint - I made Damita worse by only treating her 10 days - she became resistant to the meds.

Be aware that antifungal shampoos alone cannot be expected to provide a cure but are useful in the overall treatment plan.
Infected pets remain contagious for about 3 weeks if aggressive treatment is used.
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/ringworm.html

Another link

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Here is a link you may want to read - I know I am second guessing your vets advice, but I truly do not think treating for 10 days will cure the ringworm. I am saying that from the "been there, done that" standpoint - I made Damita worse by only treating her 10 days - she became resistant to the meds.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/ringworm.html

Another link

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html
Thank you for the links.

I am not my vet, so I cannot speak for him. But I think he was trying to find the most tolerable method of treatment, for a kitten who is not 100% healthy (aside from the ringworm). I do go in for a check up in 2wks, and I'm "assuming" if this does not work, he would suggest something else.

I do know that there are several different strains of ringworm, and it is possible that your cat and mine could have a different strain, resulting in different treatments. Perhaps the strain my kitty has, does respond to the treatment he prescribed.

I don't know if you noticed, but it's not just the shampoo/soap, I also have a topical ointment as well. (in response to your one quote)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's unfortunate that you took offense to the responses you received asking for advice. We here at TCS can only relate our own experiences and impart our own personal knowledge and it is indeed unfortunate when someone takes that information and construes it as a criticism.

Naturally we all wish your cat, you and your family well in the outcome of this infestation of ringworm. We also do indeed hope you are right and that the particular type you have is not as hardy and difficult to treat as what has been experienced by some of us here.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Naturally we all wish your cat, you and your family well in the outcome of this infestation of ringworm. We also do indeed hope you are right and that the particular type you have is not as hardy and difficult to treat as what has been experienced by some of us here.
As do I. All I want is to be able to let Kizzy free roam the house instead of being couped up in one room. It breaks my heart to have him couped up away from all of us.... I do go in and visit, as do my children... but still. He's stuck in one room

Please, my words may not have come out right, yes I was quite frustrated, and I thought it best to agree to disagree. I can't speak for my vet, I just know that I trust him, and know he wants what is best for my kitty.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its great that you trust your vet, all of us should, but the point in this thread is that you came asking for info. When you were given info, you didnt like it, for some reason you were taking it personally, that you are being given info that is opposed to the advice your vet is giving you.

I, personally am confused, if you trust your vet and are going to do what he says, why are you asking for advice. Just like your deworming thread when you were given info there, you said you trusted what your vet said. If you are coming on here to weigh your options and gather info and then to make a decision, that is fine, but dont get offended by responses.

That is not what any of the advice in this thread is intended to do, to offend. There are people on here who are involved in animal rescue and had to deal with this same issue time and and time again. Their advice is from experience and is invaluable.

As Yosemite said, the only interest we have is to make sure the cat is being cared for in the best possible way, there is nothing else intended.