OK I have to say this

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up getting in an argument with my own mother over this lol. She started in about how bad it is to throw rice during a wedding, and how it will kill the birds.

This is a myth, just like it's a myth that feeding seaguls will make them explode lol.

I can't believe even after explaining it she still wouldn't believe me! there are birds that actually stop in the rice fields to fill up during their migration too.

Parents, even though you always think you know more than your children, sometimes they are right!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know there was such a myth in the first place! I guess when myths and beliefs stick with a person for many many years, its really difficult for them to suddenly stop believing them... No matter how illogical they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I do have to admit, i thought it was true up until about 10 years ago. but the reason i thought that was while growing up my parents taught me that it's true.

She also mentioned that's why they don't let you throw rice at some wedding halls. I did some research there too and found out tha the reason they don't let you throw rice is primarily because it's extremely hard to clean up, especially in grass, and it makes the concrete slick.

Interesting bits I didn't know!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Well I do have to admit, i thought it was true up until about 10 years ago. but the reason i thought that was while growing up my parents taught me that it's true.

She also mentioned that's why they don't let you throw rice at some wedding halls. I did some research there too and found out tha the reason they don't let you throw rice is primarily because it's extremely hard to clean up, especially in grass, and it makes the concrete slick.

Interesting bits I didn't know!
I wasn't allowed to use confetti poppers inside because of the mess it makes. Party poopers!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to dispel when most folks haven't studied the digestive system of birds.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my husband's family wanted to hold him upside down and fill his pant legs with rice (some hazing ritual having nothing to do fertility as they claimed), the venue just asked politely if they wouldn't do it inside the facility...so they dragged him outside and no birds were harmed.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying that JT. I'm another one who thought it was true.
Although I wouldn't have argued the point.

But I do think that if you give Alka Seltzer to seagulls they will die. I don't think it's quite as dramatic as exploding, but I do think they die.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i thought that was true as well...i really want glitter thrown at mine, but BF made a good point about how glitter would stick all over everyone, the rose petals is a beautiful idea tho, maybe i would do that, or get some type of shiny glitter like confetti

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The maintenance man at our church growing up told me the real reason why they don't want rice throw at weddings: it's a pain in the butt to clean up. That was at my sister's wedding in about 1973. They pushed for bird seed instead, and most weddings I've gone to since then has done either bird seed or bubbles.

Once he explained to me why he didn't want us throwing rice, it make perfect sense and even if offered rice since that time, I won't throw it.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bird seed is a really good idea. hadn't thought of that.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had bubbles!! makes for very nice pics and no finding errant bits later

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you do bubbles? just hand out those little jars of bubble stuff and people just blow them?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

How do you do bubbles? just hand out those little jars of bubble stuff and people just blow them?
yup! we put them in a basket and people grabbed them