Human food that is ok for cats????

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know that some people give their cats human foods and they say it is fine and the cat is fine so I am sure some will come on here and advise. Personally, I don't give my cat anything that is not going to contribute to his health. So I feed him high quality foods and have lots of different varieties and he also gets a cat treat at night. I don't feel the need to supplement his diet with cheese or bread or anything that I don't think is going to do him any good. I also don't want to have an over weight cat which is a possibility if you choose to feed your cats food that they are not designed to eat. If you want to feed human foods to your cat then I would definately speak to your vet to see what you can feed that won't upset your cats tummy or cause any illness that you might not expect. Cats can have very sensitive stomachs too. Again, only my opinion and like I say, I am sure some will reply who do feed human foods and might not have any issues with it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My question is, are you talking about feeding only human food to your cat or some human food as a treat now and then? Answers will depend entirely on your answer to that.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only human food that I will feed my cats is raw meats...turkey, beef, pork, chicken, and hopefully it will be hormone-free, antibiotic-free, etc.

Cats are carnivores and sensitive to alot of additives, esp garlic and onion.

My cats do try to sneak licks of food...and I have one that loves sweet/salty things...but I don't allow him to actually eat any of it..I don't know how it will affect him and I know he doesn't need it.

They are also fed high-quality canned foods that contain minimal additives, fillers, grains, fruits, veggies, etc.

My opinion is that lots of humans eat food that is not nutritionally wonderful....desserts, refined foods, fast foods, etc and don't die from it...but how healthy are their systems. Cats can also live on foods that are not nutritionally wonderful...the cheaper dry foods/canned foods, non-cat food, etc. Sure they are alive, but are their systems thriving. Hopefully, you want to do what is the absolute best for your cat.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cats cooked eggs every now and then. Maybe once a week?? I either make it scrambled or over hard.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
plain cooked meats... chicken and bison are faves here ...

some handle Small amounts of cheese

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every once and a while, my bf would give his late cat some people food. Tiny bit of a burger or chicken. I did too. Usually, Cato just wanted to taste it b/c it smelled good... and a tiny chunk was enough to satisfy his curiosity.

At Thanksgiving, I brought in plain, cooked, chopped chicken thigh meat for the shelter kitties ... only one turned up her nose at it. The others were delighted to eat her portion!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always let Jake taste a bit of my food because he looks like he wants some when he watches me eat...It's probably safe as long as it's meat, and a cat wouldn't eat anything else anyway...If I'm eating a sandwich I will give Jake a tiny piece of deli meat, etc...but I never give too much, only a small bite. I heard it gets them used to it though and they start to beg every time they see a human eat, and even jump on tables to get to food...I hope this doesn't happen for now my baby is good..

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered this: my great grandfather used to buy chicken livers and cook them and feed to his cats, and that was sometimes their meal..They loved it...

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kimi gets her complete meals from kribbles n cans.

in the evening, she gets the whole house (instead of just her bedroom). since it happens to be our dinnertime too, we let her taste a very tiny amount of our dinner when she comes to us as part of her involvement with us as a family. afterall she has been following us the whole evening, we cant bear to alienate her simply cos its our feeding time

here's a sample of wat she'd tasted, and Really Tiny Amount
half a baby carrot
tiny piece of lettuce
thumb-nail size of apple
half a teaspoon of boiled rice (no salt no butter)
little bit of bread (no rustic loads, ciabatta n stuffs)
one piece of penne (boiled plain, just for her)
half a piece of dorito

all these food basically do not benefit her, cos her body is not able to process them into the vitamins/minerals tat she will be able to utilize. so they are Simply Treats, not cat-food substitutes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the cat eats its own food and is not picky and is in good health, a little people food is fine.

Ours likes cheeses, fruits, some veggies, and most meats. They get a small bite or two of chicken, hamburger, fish and a few other things.

The things to be sure to avoid is onions (or anything that has been cooked with onions), salty stuff, dyed stuff (like cheese puffs), too spicy, etc.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with GK. When we set the table for dinner there is a small plate put out for Bijou. He comes to the table and sits beside my hubby's chair to wait for his portion. Hubby cuts up a bit of whatever meat we are having for Bijou and puts it down for him. It has become a nightly ritual for them. Mika does not care for human food at all but she does go nuts for potato chips or cheesies so she gets a little of those occasionally. She's so funny - if hubby goes to the cupboard to get some potato chips out she hears the bag and comes running.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixel loves cheese and eggs! Both of mine like chicken. I don't give them anything spicy or anything cooked with onion or garlic. They always try to get up in my lap and taste a bit of whatever I am eating but I don't let them if I don't think it is safe for them. I haven't tried most fruits or veggies, just cheese, meats and eggs. I have avoided deli meats because they are pretty salty. Bamf did try some bacon once!

Basically, little treats that aren't full of fillers and salt or sugar or dyes or onion/garlic/lots of spices should be fine IMO! Not that humans should be eating food full of fillers, salt, sugar, or dyes anyway

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IBelongInTheZoo

Is there any human food that is ok for cats to eat???
What do you think high quality cat food is made from? real ingredients, real food! real meats and other real whole foods

stellar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i read that a bit of garlic mixed with cat food is good for them?

My cat LOVES sausages NOT the skin just small bits of the meat. Moderation is the key here. Some cats do like cheese but remember cats are lactose intollerant so i suggest a Very SMALL amount only.

I havnt tried giving my cat eggs yet..she mostlly eats her cat food as i do not like her eating human food. Cats will find it very hard to digest human food, their digestive system is not like ours. If im eating something and shes sitting there watching me ill break off a very small bit and give it to her to try. Usually she smells it and then just turns her head she will rarely eat it unless its sausage or any other kind of meat.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rummi

she (also) ate durian yesterday !
Wow, your cat's braver than I am!!

Stellar, garlic and onions, anything in that family, is toxic for cats- causes anemia in them. Any form of it- fresh, dehydrated, powdered. That's why you have to be careful if you ever give them baby food (like if they're sick or develop a sensitive stomach). A lot of baby foods have garlic or onion powder in them. Make sure the sausage you give your cat doesn't have any onion or garlic in it!

Well, I bought some very nice steaks to have on Christmas Eve with my fiance. Had the oven warming, had them sitting on the counter. Left the room to wait for the oven and hear a noise in the kitchen. Albus had knocked both steaks off the counter and onto the floor and was munching on one of them.
My floor was kinda icky and there was hair stuck to them, so I couldn't make myself eat them. The only place open at 8:00pm on Christmas Eve was our favorite sushi place, so we got that. Did NOT share with Albus. I did rinse the steaks off and put them back in the fridge and today I chopped them up, separated them into little portions and wrapped each portion in plastic wrap. Stuck them in the freezer to be used as an occasional treat.

I can give it to him raw, right?