Throwing Up

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So the past two days,Bam has been throwing up his food...not too frequently,but more then I think he should be.

I have kept him on the same food that he came with (Purina cat chow - I know...bad...but I didn't wanna switch until he was more adjusted,you know?).

However I have started feeding him wet food.He has NEVER had wet food before at his old home and doesn't like it very much.I mean,he doesn't go nuts for it.I am wondering if the wet food is making him sick.Should I stop feeding that altogether? I thought wet food was good for helping in prevention of UTI's...but if thats what is making Bam sick then...I will stop.

He is using the litter fine and otherwise acting normal.It is just the last 2 days he has been throwing up,but not frequently.And no,it is not hairballs.I can see the kibble.

Should I worry and take him to the vet anyway? Should I wait to see if he throws up again? I was planning on taking him in for a check-up after Christmas anyway,but if this is something I should worry about,I will take him in sooner (if I can...I know how booked they can get).

I am not too worried right now...cause he seems fine.
What are your thoughts? Advice? Tips? Anything?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he shouldn't be throwing up at all... If it was my kitty I would take her to the Vet... ASAP... 2 days throwing up is quite a bit - definitely not normal. Also remember: cats are already dehydrated by nature - throwing up makes them lose quite a bit of fluids as well, making matters worst.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call the vet and describe the situation (ok, I do have my vet's number on speed call, why do you ask?
), but be ready to describe very clearly what your cat is doing. I learned, the hard way, the difference between vomiting and regurgitation - regurgitation is when you can pretty much see undigested kibble, and can happen simply because kitty ate too fast or too much at one time. Cats can 'toss their cookies' a lot easier than humans can, due to a shorter tract. Vomiting is more the digested food coming up...vets seem to worry more about true vomiting than regurgitation, but do ask them for their advice. I suspect if it's something worrisome, you'll get one of the acute care slots that vet offices keep open for emegencies.

My girl regurgitated when I first got her - she was simply eating too quickly, and might have been nervous. Vet suggested I transition more slowly off her shelter food, and just make sure she was keeping something down, drinking ok, and using the box ok. I just did free feeding til she was sure food was always going to be there and slowed down the gobbling.

Umm, you're sure Bam couldn't have eaten anything 'bad', right - no tinsel or Christmas tree ornaments, or ribbons or dental floss?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I'd call the vet and describe the situation (ok, I do have my vet's number on speed call, why do you ask?
), but be ready to describe very clearly what your cat is doing. I learned, the hard way, the difference between vomiting and regurgitation - regurgitation is when you can pretty much see undigested kibble, and can happen simply because kitty ate too fast or too much at one time. Cats can 'toss their cookies' a lot easier than humans can, due to a shorter tract. Vomiting is more the digested food coming up...vets seem to worry more about true vomiting than regurgitation, but do ask them for their advice. I suspect if it's something worrisome, you'll get one of the acute care slots that vet offices keep open for emegencies.

If the vet is closed most will give a ER clinic number or the Local vet who is taking ER calls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bam hasn't thrown up since I started this thread.
I will call my vet though to see what they say! And if they don't want me to take him in,I am still making a check-up for after Christmas anyway.I will keep you updated.

I could see pieces of kibble in it...so it's possible it was cause he ate too fast.

No,he didn't eat tinsel or anything,cause I didn't decorate.I don't care for Christmas and don't have a tree up or ANY decorations.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad things have settled down - I'd mention the episodes during the vet check, just in case, but here's hoping for a great check-up. When I first got my kitties, I kept a little diary of everything that happened - now, I just note anything that seems 'different', so that if I do need the vet, I can give them a chronology of when anything changed or happened.

hatzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like you mentioned, I think the new wet food could definitely upset his system. I would keep him on the dry alone and see how long he goes without vomiting. Hope he stays vomit free!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Glad things have settled down - I'd mention the episodes during the vet check, just in case, but here's hoping for a great check-up. When I first got my kitties, I kept a little diary of everything that happened - now, I just note anything that seems 'different', so that if I do need the vet, I can give them a chronology of when anything changed or happened.
I kept a journal when Moose was "coughing" several years ago. It was invaluable to keep track of his episodes, rather than rely on my memory. I wish I had had a video camera or camera phone to record him too. It turned out it was a hairball cough and not respiratory, thank goodness!