is there a cat food thats healthy and

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a healthy cat food that is healthy and yes i know this is stupid question but is there a food thats healthy and also makes the bowel movement smell less bad? my cats is on purnina one now and i can stand the smell of her litter box i do admit i have the worlds weakest stomach though

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes , most will tell you a food free of word like meat and chicken by products , a lot of ground corn , soy will help keep the odor down ... prebiotics also help - examples beet pulp, chicory root ....

which Purina one??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sadly i forget which Purina one i always do that i really should write it down but soon as i get it i always empty it in a big sealed container but this time i want to switch to healthy food with no smell or little smell she is so bad it awakens me and her litter box is in other room.i doubt ill get it again she also aite more of it and gained weight this is what im thnking to get but from what ya said it may have to much meat Blue Spa Select Adult Indoor Cat Dry Food

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have smelt my fair share of cat poop on my different diets and brands. Some are slightly better than most but the ultimate IMO is raw. No smell. Though raw is not for the uninformed or unguided. Hopefully someone will help you with the ones that stink slightly less because to me they all stink.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chris10

I have smelt my fair share of cat poop on my different diets and brands. Some are slightly better than most but the ultimate IMO is raw. No smell. Though raw is not for the uninformed or unguided. Hopefully someone will help you with the ones that stink slightly less because to me they all stink.
this is true but today we have many many options in commercial that really do cut the stinky factor...

Blue spa may work for you ( directed to firstimteowner hope I got it right) ... personally I am not a huge fan of indoor formulas : generally higher in carbs and grains...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy's poo used to wake me out of a sound sleep - and the box was at least 30 feet away. I switched over to Nutro. Things have dramatically improved. Umm, first Nutro was the hair ball formula and now the indoor adult formula. Remember to switch food, if you do, s.l.o.w.l.y, and if nothing brings improvement, check in with the vet to make sure nothing more is amiss....but I tend to think it's how the cat reacts with the food, in most cases.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro Natural Complete Indoor Formula claims to reduce the smell of the litter box. For me Purina One Indoors was the worst. You also might want to change the litter? Maybe your cat is not covering his poop? Anyway: Nutro helped quite a bit; below are the ingredients:

Chicken meal, ground rice, corn gluten meal, rice flour, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of natural vitamin E), sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), flaxseed meal, tomato pomace, brewers dried yeast, natural flavors, mixed vegetable fiber (carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, and spinach), potassium chloride, menhaden fish oil, oat fiber, soy protein concentrate, cranberry powder, choline chloride, taurine, dl-methionine, vitamin E supplement, dried egg product, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), l-carnitine, inositol, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, lutein, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, niacin, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, vitamin A supplement, garlic flavor, biotin, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), beta carotene, calcium iodate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), lycopene, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, sodium selenite.

Crude protein (min.) 33%, crude fat (min.) 14%, crude fiber (max.) 4%, moisture (max.) 10%, ash (max.) 7.25%, linoleic acid (min.) 4%, calcium (min.) 0.09%, phosphorus (min.) 0.08%, magnesium (max.) 0.085%, iron (min.) 200 mg/kg, manganese (min.) 35 mg/kg, zinc (min.) 250 mg/kg, vitamin D (min.) 1,200 iu/kg, vitamin E (min.) 250 iu/kg, taurine (min.) 0.2%, ascorbic acid* (min.) 50 mg/kg, linolenic acid* (min.) 0.8%, beta carotene* (min.) 3.2 mg/kg, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)* (min.) 0.06%, l-carnitine* (min.) 150 mg/kg, lutein* (min.) 50 mg/kg.

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ty everyone oddly enough i dont think she ever buried her poop i tried many litters now im using pine pellets but i tried regular old type litter and scoop able to

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner

ty everyone oddly enough i dont think she ever buried her poop i tried many litters now im using pine pellets but i tried regular old type litter and scoop able to
Ok - the pine pellets don't help with the poop smell... at all!!! It does help tremendously with the urine smell... I would advise you changing to an odor reducing clumping litter - It helped me quite a bit - actually, a lot. I was myself using Feline Pine; which I loved, but unfortunately Lucky didn't...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just do not cover (yes, I'm looking at you, Dante!) and that doesn't help with the odor issue. I use Cat Attract litter - that not only helped with his litter box issues, but seems to help with other odors as well. I myself wouldn't use any of the perfumey litters, but perhaps one of the clumping litters might be worth another shot?

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The higher quality foods will generally cut down on odor as there is less waste actually coming out, more is being digested. Look for food with few grains especially avoiding corn and wheat as they are some of the least digested grains. The more meat and less grains and veggies, the better.

Neko had wonderful poop on Felidae, had bad poop on Before grain and has really good poop again on California Natural. Willie's poops have never been great but they are at their best I think on this food. unfortunately Neko's coat has gotten worse

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thats the only part i dont like about owning a cat i can barely make it rhu cleaning her litter box with out getting sick

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm little miss squeamish too, but I've surprised myself over the two years I've had mine. I do find scooping the box frequently (at least twice a day) seems to help. Also, and I know it's hard to believe, you'll find yourself checking out the poo and pee, at least briefly, as a health check for your baby....just remind yourself you're doing it for her, and how much she loves you.

Oh, are you using a covered box or an open box - I know the covered box might seem like it's better for cutting the odor, but, from experience, I'd change to an open box type. And, some of the scoopable litter have charcoal or similar 'bits' in them, which may help with the odor. Worst case, you might try Zero Odor spray (you can get from some Bed Bath & Beyonds) and do a spritz over the box just as get ready to clean - that stuff really seems to work - it's expensive, but hang on to the receipt if it doesn't work for you. It's recommended by Nicholas Dodman, DVM, so I'm thinking it's pretty cat-friendly.

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i only have one cat and i clean her box as soon as she goes number 2.im looking at difent brands now to im also researching dog food for my dad lol not for my dad to eat for his dog lol he is looking at canidae for a smaller terrier right now im torn between blu and nutru for my cat

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried Nutro, Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild (grain free) and out of all of those, I would say the smell was the least on Nutro.

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by *Pepper*

I've tried Nutro, Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild (grain free) and out of all of those, I would say the smell was the least on Nutro.
do ya recall which nurto

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine Natures Variety Instinct and Go grainfree chicken,turkey and lamb,I am also reintroducing taste of the wild ( They did have it in thier rotation but the my local provider did not get it for some reason and had to go offof it for a while) I notice NO SMELL at all!a big difference from what I started them out on which was the Purina One kitten formula.I have also tried blue spa selects and my cats HATED IT!I have tried many others as well and this is what works best for me.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried both Nutros (the Max and Natural Choice) and both significantly reduced my boy's, ah, aroma for #2. You might look at Nutro's web site and email them for coupons or for further info. Or, a lot of the big box shops will have a Nutro rep on site a few days a week - maybe call your preferred shop and see if there's a rep scheduled - they can usually answer questions and most of the time have coupons and/or sample bags. I think it's the beets in Nutro that helps with odor.