Portraits for my mom for Christmas!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my dad decided to commission me to do a few portraits for people for Christmas this year and I finally finished three of them! They are for my mom, and are of three of our cats. She was the closest with these three cats in particular, all though I will probably eventually do a portrait for each of our other cats. Two of the cats have passed away, and the third is my mom's current kitty. I thought I would share these here since you are all cat people and frankly a lot of the people around me are sick to death of looking at my pet portraits!! I am going to share the story of my two cats that have passed as well since I don't think I have ever mentioned either of them on here. They were my first two cats and not a day goes by that I don't miss them both.

Honey was my first cat! I got her when I was 14years old after my allergies improved enough to have a cat. She was a stray that used to follow me to school every morning, and then on my way home she'd be waiting a block away from my school and would walk me home. Honey started hanging around my house more and more so of course I ended up eventually sneaking her into my room. After she was discovered by my parents it had been several weeks and when they saw that I wasn't sick from having her in my room they let me keep her. Unfortunately she was hit by a car a year and a half later. Honey is dearly missed everyday!

Cougar was my next cat that I got around four months after Honey passed away. He was living at the barn where I was boarding my horse and was such a lazy barn cat that they decided to get rid of him. I convinced my parents to take him in, and shortly after my mother fell as desperately in love with our little "Buddy Boy" as I had. Cougar showed no signs of being sick before he passed away 2years ago. He fell over in the kitchen one morning, so I rushed him to the vet, and he was put down later that day. He had a very large kidney stone, and by the time we realized it was there he was to weak for surgery. I had been very cautious about his food and he was checked by the vet regularly for crystals but still we never caught it till it was to late. The day he died was my 21st Birthday, and we had a big party at my house. I spent my entire Birthday party trying not to cry and tell everyone he had died(I had talked to the vet and kept it to myself) because I didn't want to ruin the party for everybody! The second the last person left I looked at my mom started balling and screamed "I had to put Cougar down". Honestly it was one of the worst days of my life!

Kiki is mom's cat. She was all upset because none of my cats are very social with my parents or anyone else for that matter, and she wanted a cat of her own! Honey and Cougar were more family cats than just my cats, but my cats now are mine. I knew my mom really wanted another orange cat but she was dragging her feet about actually getting another cat. I started looking at our local shelters for a kitten for her and came across Kiki one day. I drug my mom down there to look at her and we came home with a Kiki that same day! I do realize that in the portrait Kiki has one eye bigger than the other, but its on purpose. She does this funny little squinty thing with her one eye all the time!

Well those a few of the portraits I did this year! I have a couple more I might get around to sharing as well when I have time to scan them. I hope everyone likes them!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gosh. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that we will never get tired of looking at your pet portraits!
You're doing gorgeous work, and it's wonderful to know the stories of the kitties, too! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Do you have a website to sell your work? And if not, why not?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My gosh. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that we will never get tired of looking at your pet portraits!
You're doing gorgeous work, and it's wonderful to know the stories of the kitties, too! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Do you have a website to sell your work? And if not, why not?
Great work!! Love the stories about your kitties.

Actually, she DOES have a website and I bought some of her work for presents this year! I'm not saying what (because some of the people I bought for are noisy and may start snooping on here) but she emailed me a scan of one and it is AWESOME!! I should be getting it any day now.

Here's the website (hope you don't mind me posting this Meg)...

http://www.freewebs.com/rowanred/index.htm

They're all wonderful but the bird pictures just blew me away.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prisma color pencils, correct? I recognize the particular colors.
If so, do you work in other media? I bet you could do well in oil pastels and even water color.