Fall Grades

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just checked my final grades for the fall semester and I'm on the fence. I got an A- in my business law class which I'm VERY happy about. It was a very intense class and the prof was a bit crazy so I'm pleasantly surprised. Then I got B+s in my other 2 classes. Their decent grades but they brought my GPA from a 3.4 to a 3.2 which is a little disappointing. All in all I'm happy and I've still got time to pull my GPA back up so it's not the end of the world but I worked hard for that 3.4 and because my Law class was so intense I did slack off on my other classes slightly. No one to blame but myself I suppose.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Meaghan,

What are you studying? and what year are you in?

Over here in New Zealand I don't think we have point averages but we do have to attain certain grades in our papers. I've just completed my first year of my degree.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, those aren't grades to sneeze at though. You still did well...don't be too hard on yourself. You know you tried

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Hi Meaghan,

What are you studying? and what year are you in?

Over here in New Zealand I don't think we have point averages but we do have to attain certain grades in our papers. I've just completed my first year of my degree.
I'm studying for a business degree possibly with a concentration in accounting. I officially started back in 2004 but I've only been going part time so according to the university I'm in my 3rd year. Basically, a GPA is your overall average grade for your entire college career. A 3.0 is a B a 4.0 is an A.

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awwww, those aren't grades to sneeze at though. You still did well...don't be too hard on yourself. You know you tried
I know I did... and I honestly can't wait to call my dad today and tell him I got an A- in law. He's a lawyer and knows my prof... and knows that she's crazy!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think a 3.2 will hamper your job choices at all. In fact, it's rare to find a GPA on a resume anymore (I've never included mine).

But, I know it's more than that, it's evidence of how well you're doing.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I don't think a 3.2 will hamper your job choices at all. In fact, it's rare to find a GPA on a resume anymore (I've never included mine).

But, I know it's more than that, it's evidence of how well you're doing.
Well, I'm still not decided on what I'm going to do after I get my Business degree. I could look for a job... or I could apply to law school in which case GPA is vitally important!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Well, I'm still not decided on what I'm going to do after I get my Business degree. I could look for a job... or I could apply to law school in which case GPA is vitally important!
Oh, definitely! Whatever you decide, good luck.

I keep thinking about going back to school, but I feel 18 again whenever I do...I just don't know what I'd study!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Oh, definitely! Whatever you decide, good luck.

I keep thinking about going back to school, but I feel 18 again whenever I do...I just don't know what I'd study!
I'm lucky, IUSB caters largely to older working students so it's about equal parts HS grads and adults going back. Picking a major was the hard part. There's nothing I'm terribly passionate about when it comes to school/degrees so I went with something generic but useful.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU did GREAT ... When I think about GPA s I always remember what grandma told me ... what do they call the med student with the lowest GPA at the end ?? DOCTOR
.. in the end GPA s mean little in the "real world" as mentioned they are seldom on a resume

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

YOU did GREAT ... When I think about GPA s I always remember what grandma told me ... what do they call the med student with the lowest GPA at the end ?? DOCTOR
.. in the end GPA s mean little in the "real world" as mentioned they are seldom on a resume
I've read that Dr. joke somewhere else before. Point taken!