cats cause sterility for men?

mishkawy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is it true that cats can cause sterility for humans?

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you're referring to some very very unfortunate freak accident of sorts, the answer would be "NO".

I'd love to know where you got that idea from!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Unless you're referring to some very very unfortunate freak accident of sorts, the answer would be "NO".
Got a pretty funny vision with your post

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well...there ARE those who will tell you that guys who like cats are gay, which I guess is kind of like being sterile....

There are very few diseases you can catch from your cat. Toxoplasmosis is one, usually caught by changing litter boxes. Some researchers (but none with much reputation) have linked toxoplasmosis and schizophrenia.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are only a few diseases that can be transmitted by cats. Toxoplasmosis can be caused by handling used cat litter (it happens more frequently from eating undercooked meat, but there is still a tiny risk from cat feces.) If a pregnant woman becomes infected with Toxoplasmosis, her fetus may become infected also. Intrauterine exposure to Toxoplasmosis can cause mental retardation, cerebral palsy, and blindness. I remember a child that I saw when I was in nursing school, in the pediatric ICU. His mother had been exposed to Toxoplasmosis during pregnancy (not sure if it was cats or raw meat exposure.) The child had severe microcephaly, profound mental retardation, was blind and deaf, and suffered respiratory problems (requiring a tracheotomy and ventilator) and had a seizure disorder.

Probably the most common disease that cats can transmit is 'cat scratch disease.' Cat scratch disease is a bacterial infection (Bartonella henselae) that typically causes swelling of the lymph nodes and a low grade fever. It usually results from the scratch, lick, or bite of a cat.

Speaking of cat bites...
Nearly 80% of cat bites become infected. The most common microorganism cultured from an infected cat bit is Pasteurella multocida .

I was bitten by my parents' cat while giving him subQ fluids. I immediately washed out the three puncture wounds and went to the Urgent Care. They washed the wounds again and gave me a script for Augmentin (which I filled and started right away.) The next morning, 12 hours or less, my entire lower arm was red and draining purulent green goo. I wound up in the hospital, on IV antibiotics for 4 days. I missed nearly two weeks of work...and I did all the right things!!! Obviously, cat bites are not something to be casual about!

These are all pretty much "worst case scenarios", but cats really don't cause much disease in humans. I've certainly never heard of cats causing sterility in men.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toxoplasmosis is also caused my gardening and undercooked protiens.

Cats causing sterility is like some of the crazy myths I've heard about pregnancy. My favorite (someone asked my Dr. about this) is that raising your arms above your head while pregnant can suffocate the baby. Totally untrue BTW!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Originally Posted by carolinalima

Got a pretty funny vision with your post
I had to giggle when I read the question. My husband claims that Stumpy will accomplish this as he crawls onto his lap one day. Stumpy has perfect aim with all 4 feet. I've threatened to get him a cup.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I had to giggle when I read the question. My husband claims that Stumpy will accomplish this as he crawls onto his lap one day. Stumpy has perfect aim with all 4 feet. I've threatened to get him a cup.

After reading this post, all I can picture is this one email I got full of cartoons.
The guy is hanging outside an apartment because his gf husband came home... there is a kitty on the next floor down with an open window at just the right height.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishkawy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok then thanks people.. I also never heard of cats causing sterility but an older friend of mine just told me that they do today.. so I had to get sure that they don't

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a new one
I've heard of suffocating babies and a few others but that isn't true
Just think of all the men who would buy a cat instead of other methods