Pick the Themes - 2009 Photo Contests!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was so much fun last year that we're doing it again!

There are only 3 months that are already decided:

February: Kitty Love/Snuggles
October: Halloween Kitties
December: Holiday Cats

I've seen a bunch of pics this month that are practically begging to be the calendar cats for December 2009! Be sure to keep snapping those pics because the contest for December will definitely be before the decorations come out next year.

So anyway, a little while ago we brainstormed ideas and the poll above is the culmination of those ideas. Vote for the 10 you like the best and we'll take the top 9 after the votes are tallied and add them to the three themes above.

This poll will be open until Christmas, so we have time for a vote-off if necessary.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

So anyway, a little while ago we brainstormed ideas and the poll above is the culmination of those ideas. Vote for the 10 you like the best and we'll take the top 9 after the votes are tallied and add them to the three themes above.
that'll teach me to vote before reading! i voted for 12!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might be confused here. Aren't these for the winners of each month in the year 2008?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I might be confused here. Aren't these for the winners of each month in the year 2008?
No, this is to pick the themes for the upcoming 2009 contest.

It seems to me that a lot of these could be combined into one category. Maybe that'll be an option if you don't have 9 clear leaders?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we need to make sure that all categories are POSSIBLE for all members. One of the popular ones seems to be "cats and other animals". Many of us have only cats, and only inside cats making it completely impossible to have an entry if that theme is chosen for a month. I don't think that would be fair. Each month's theme should be doable for each member.

As much as we love them and cherish the pictures, not everyone has a RB kitty either, so that would exclude them from an entry for that month as well.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I think we need to make sure that all categories are POSSIBLE for all members. One of the popular ones seems to be "cats and other animals". Many of us have only cats, and only inside cats making it completely impossible to have an entry if that theme is chosen for a month. I don't think that would be fair. Each month's theme should be doable for each member.

As much as we love them and cherish the pictures, not everyone has a RB kitty either, so that would exclude them from an entry for that month as well.
that's how it works out sometimes though, some months you won't have an entry and other months others won't have an entry. Or if you're like me and a horrible photographer you never have an entry

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

that's how it works out sometimes though, some months you won't have an entry and other months others won't have an entry. Or if you're like me and a horrible photographer you never have an entry
Not having an entry because you just can't get a good picture is one thing, but I think its unfair to have a theme where you couldn't possibly even try. I think everyone should have an even chance every month.

Just my

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to see this category in other time my friend....(my suggestion plus the others that you put, all are soooooooooooo cool!...
...)

Cats in sun!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Not having an entry because you just can't get a good picture is one thing, but I think its unfair to have a theme where you couldn't possibly even try. I think everyone should have an even chance every month.

Just my
If you think about it, can you come up with 12 different categories that every single person that is a member on this webite can enter? That really wouldn't be feasible. You can come with at least one person that can't enter every single one of those categories. Also, what about people who don't have digital cameras or scanners? They can't enter for any month, so should we just not do this?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I disagree with this reasoning. I take horrible pictures, Bijou hates being photographed and just won't cooperate so I'll probably never be in any of the contests. That's just the way it is. To expect a theme that every member would be able to enter each month is not feasible nor reasonable.

I also think things like RB kitties is wonderful. If you don't have an RB kitty, that's no big deal? Winning a contest isn't the be-all, end-all. I don't have a problem knowing I cannot enter Bijou even though I'd love to see his sweet face and pretty blue eyes on a TCS calendar. I just learned to live with it. Life isn't always as fair or perfect as we would like it to be.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you think about it, can you come up with 12 different categories that every single person that is a member on this webite can enter? That really wouldn't be feasible. You can come with at least one person that can't enter every single one of those categories. Also, what about people who don't have digital cameras or scanners? They can't enter for any month, so should we just not do this?
This is so true! I have 8 to choose from, and a really nice camera, and I didn't enter several time just because no one fit the current theme. It just happens

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just my
I agree

I do see your point though I wish we could find categories that everyone could enter but I doubt that would happen.

However ( and this is just MHO)I don't think RB kitties should have a photo contest I think one month should have maybe a collage (sp?) of anyone who wants to submit a RB pic if you want to add RB pics to the calender. My reasoning is if I had a kitty who passed away and went threw the trouble of finding the best pic of that kitty and bringing all those memories of a kitty I will never see or hear again back to the forefront of my mind and then be told that, that pic wasn't good enough for the calander I would be crush and would feel like I failed my RB kitty somehow, but that might just be me. I have RB kitties but only one pic cause they past very long time ago (back when you had to get film developed).

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I can understand where you are coming from, but I think that as long as someone can participate the majority of the months then it is OK. The only other "animal" I have is a hamster and Abby isn't going to be snuggling with Coco any time soon.
I do have a good picture of Abby stalking a rabbit through the window, so could submit that.
I think there were 2 months last year that I didn't ha any pictures for the theme, but I did for the 10 other months.

I think Heidi is doing this in a fair way by having everyone vote. By doing it in this fashion everyone gets a chance to give input on what the final themes will be. If a theme won't fit for them, they won't vote for it. Everyone gets an equal say this way.