Cold, rainy and snowy!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, winter is really here!
Yesterday's and today's weather has been cold (for us), rainy at our elevation and snowy in the higher elevations in the Bay Area (in the Sierras, too, but I mean here in the Bay Area).

It only got to the high 40's today and tonight it is supposed to be 27F (-8C). There is snow on Mount Diablo above 3000'. I know this because the news just said that people were walking up from 2200' where the road was closed to the 3400' summit to go sledding, even though I cannot see the from my deck because of the fog and clouds. You had to hike about 4 1/2 miles to get to the summit from the 2200' mark. Only in CA.

Who cares? We need the rain and the snow.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That IS cold for your area!

Right now we are down to 15F, it's been plunging quickly this evening. We're expecting more snow tomorrow and Thurs....and snow and freezing rain this week-end. Unusual for our fairly temperate region. At least the east wind calmed down for awhile....that was almost unbearable for us west coasters!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

That IS cold for your area!

Right now we are down to 15F, it's been plunging quickly this evening. We're expecting more snow tomorrow and Thurs....and snow and freezing rain this week-end. Unusual for our fairly temperate region. At least the east wind calmed down for awhile....that was almost unbearable for us west coasters!
Hey, I have lived in downstate and upstate NY, MI and MA. I know what cold really is, but it seems so cold now to me after living here for 24 years. Besides, we really don't have enough warm clothes to wear!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Hey, I have lived in downstate and upstate NY, MI and MA. I know what cold really is, but it seems so cold now to me after living here for 24 years. Besides, we really don't have enough warm clothes to wear!
Not enough warm clothes? Weeeellll... how about a little shopping, there, Rosemary, ole gal!!!

Windchill here is in the teens. Yuck! And it is snowing... but then, it's mid December in Michigan!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You really do know what cold weather is like! I could not deal with weather from those areas. We're pretty big wusses here with these temps, plus they don't know now how to take care of the roads or don't have enough equipment to do so. It's pretty disheartening to pass a snow plow and sand truck and he's doing neither. Granted...he may be out of sand, but put that plow blade down at least!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I won't pass on our Wisconsin weather the past couple of days and the rest of the week?? 40F would be really "warm" as I think it got to 8F today. Right now its 6F and snowing currently (only 2-4 inches expected today). A bigger storm coming thursday however.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope my plants do not die.
The Banana Tree is black now.
It will be 25 tonight and we had a ton of hail....
Freeze warning in effect from 10 PM this evening to 10 am PST
Wednesday...

The National Weather Service in Sacramento has issued a freeze
warning... which is in effect from 10 PM this evening to 10 am PST
Wednesday for the southern Sacramento Valley... the Carquinez
Strait and Delta... and the northern San Joaquin Valley.

A series of cold low pressure systems have spread cold unstable
air and intermittent showers into the area. The showers are
expected to diminish and skies are expected to clear tonight.

After the skies clear... temperatures will drop and there is a
strong potential for a hard freeze late tonight through Wednesday

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have some extra sheets or blankets handy wrap your plants totally if possible.

I do this when we are getting our killing frosts (way back in September).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is one of the best "wintry" days we have had here. Bright sun and crisp, about 50F. I got into my car at my health club and the car thermometer said 91F. Whoa! Didn't take much time for it to fall to 54F as soon as I put the car in gear.

As I was driving home at noontime, you could still see snow on the top of Mt. Diablo.

That's the Bay Area.

Oh, Adrien, I am going on-line to shop at the U of M store so I can remember what I used to wear.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our temps here in the desert never reached 50 today.
Currently it is 38.
It's been windy and rainy and cold and miserable all day.
I live in the desert, I don't own clothes for extended periods of winter like weather!

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it has been snowing here in Vegas. I don't even own a winter coat LOL!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today is one of the best "wintry" days we have had here. Bright sun and crisp, about 50F. I got into my car at my health club and the car thermometer said 91F. Whoa! Didn't take much time for it to fall to 54F as soon as I put the car in gear.

As I was driving home at noontime, you could still see snow on the top of Mt. Diablo.

That's the Bay Area.

Oh, Adrien, I am going on-line to shop at the U of M store so I can remember what I used to wear.
Hmmmm want to trade for a few days.

Seriously though I kind of like the winter as well, my only complient right now is if it doesn't stop snowing soon I will run out of places to move it to....

How be I send along a couple of feet to you to store for me until spring