Downloading Fonts

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please can someone explain to me in idiot language
where I need to put fonts when I download them?

I`ve found a great site with some really amazing fonts that I want to use in Photoshop but I don`t understand where I need to put them

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What version of Windows do you have? If it's before Vista, exactly what Hope said. If it's Vista, in your Start Menu, go to Control Panel, Fonts. Then Right Click and choose Install New Font. Direct that to where you have stored your downloaded fonts (may be your Desktop or Download Folder) and it will install it.

If you have a Mac, I have no idea!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

the new Macs [like mine] also have a fonts folder... if you have a Mac, let me know & i'll figure out where it is [haven't needed to find it on this one, yet!].

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What version of Windows do you have? If it's before Vista, exactly what Hope said. If it's Vista, in your Start Menu, go to Control Panel, Fonts. Then Right Click and choose Install New Font. Direct that to where you have stored your downloaded fonts (may be your Desktop or Download Folder) and it will install it.

Yes, I have XP, I haven't seen Vista yet. Glad I don't have Vista.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks guys!

Yep I have Vista, That would explain why they were disappearing
I think I`ve got the hang of it but does it matter where I store them until I install them? I managed to install one last night after hunting around for ages in my Public documents

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a photoshop folder on my desktop where I have subfolders for brushes / fonts / textures / whatever else. If I happen to see something I like I download them to my photoshop folder and then just install when I feel like it
As long as it is installed it will have the font file in the fonts folder and you can delete the zip and font file you downloaded

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I keep a photoshop folder on my desktop where I have subfolders for brushes / fonts / textures / whatever else. If I happen to see something I like I download them to my photoshop folder and then just install when I feel like it
As long as it is installed it will have the font file in the fonts folder and you can delete the zip and font file you downloaded
Ahhh, I get it
I think I just need to get more organised
As if it wasn`t bad enough having a brush addiction, now it`s fonts as well

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I got bored of downloading them once that I paid $6 for a 1400 font download pack
Yeah, I saw one that was $16 I think. Good job I haven`t got any spare money in the bank

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to not install fonts to the font folder. The more stuff you put into the Windows folder, the more sluggish your system gets.

What I tend to do is store fonts that I like in a folder on one of my external hard drives. Then use a font viewer such as Printer's Apprentice in order to view those fonts. When I see a font I want to use in one of my graphics, I simply double click on it and it opens. I minimize it to my tool bar. I can then use the drop down font menu in my graphic program to access the font and use it, all without having it installed in my Windows Systems folder.

When I'm done, I simply close the font window just like I would any other window that I had open.