I saw a Bobcat in the wild yesterday!!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!! I have always wanted to see a Bobcat and Mountain lion in the wild but never have. Yesterday I saw a Bobcat sitting off the Highway. We live in Rural Nebraska and I have seen everything from lots of turkeys, deer, redtail hawks, bald/golden eagles but never a wild cat!!!! It was was just breaking sunlight when I saw him/her. What a beautiful cat!!

It was a Bobcat there was no mistaking that!

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn't it nice to see an animal living in the wild in his environment? One of the best and most beautiful memories I have in my life is seeing a wild herd of Mustangs in the Nevada desert. Born free and living free.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandma lived at the edge of town when I was growing up. There was a bobcat that would come and peek in the sliding glass doors at us. It stopped coming as the neighborhood grew.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

WOW!! I have always wanted to see a Bobcat and Mountain lion in the wild but never have. Yesterday I saw a Bobcat sitting off the Highway. We live in Rural Nebraska and I have seen everything from lots of turkeys, deer, redtail hawks, bald/golden eagles but never a wild cat!!!! It was was just breaking sunlight when I saw him/her. What a beautiful cat!!

Ahh i got you. It was me! I dressed up as a wild cat and stalked through your backyard.

Well that explains bigfoot as well

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^

I see bobcats occasionally around here. I've never seen a wild cougar, and I'm not really interested in seeing a wild one in person. I found fairly fresh tracks as a child while playing alone in large canyon near my home - that gave me a good spook.
I also suspect there was one near me when I was visiting an aunt in Louisiana - it got too quiet, I started looking around and spotted something golden colored through a bush several yards away.

I've also had the fun of accidentally walking right up on deer... probably a lot more dangerous than any big cat.

Where I live now there's a red fox that lives nearby. I've seen him twice coming home from work at night. I, again, live at the edge of town.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've also had the fun of accidentally walking right up on deer... probably a lot more dangerous than any big cat.
DH and I did that once. We were cycling through a forest and almost ht the deer! Couldn't believe we got that close.

I saw a beautiful fox the other day, and was so thrilled. It was just standing in a field watching all the construction nearby. Probably wondering what was going to happen to his home.

I would love to see a bobcat too!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen one live cougar in the wild, and several dead ones.

In addition to that, I saw a bobcat kitten dead by the side of the road today. I once saw one killed by the side of the road that was so large I actually turned my truck around and went back to check it out, thinking it might be a cougar.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bobcat living in my yard at our fixer-upper place. There's a desert fox, too. I do try to keep the coyotes run off, though, since I have some yard cats.
Seeing a bobcat is such a thrill - I am happy that you were so blessed

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Isn't it fantastic
There is a female that lives between here and the Green River that will make an appearance every so often. It's always amusing, because when she comes sauntering through, I can look out and see at least 2 dogs that aren't mine taking cover on my back deck

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very very cool!!
I have not seen any in the wild yet. Bobcats are making a comeback here in Ohio, especially the Eastern part of the state where I am at. Nakoma frequently calls out to something at night, but I can never see what he is looking at.
I once saw one killed by the side of the road that was so large I actually turned my truck around and went back to check it out, thinking it might be a cougar.
Yes, they can get quite large. Our Nakoma is a very large husky male.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I would LOVE to see one in person!! As long as it's in a good mood, of course.
I know we have them around here (either bobcats or cougars) because in the summer you can hear them screaming at night. It is a bone chilling sound! About 10 years ago a bobcat actually mated with one of my MIL's barn cats, so now half the cats around our house have short or no tails.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to Yosemite when Jenny was 4 with my Mom. We were one the Mist Trail to Vernal Falls, which we were not going to get to the top with a 4-year old. We had crossed the bridge and were just about 200 yards into the trail. Jenny found a little pool in a rock that she called a "Barbie pool," so she promptly pulled out her doll and played. As she was babbling on, charming her Grandma, a bobcat stepped onto the trail behind us. Unbelievable! It just stood there, looked at us and then went back into the woods.